Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Do you hate Easter Grass?

Recommended Posts

Because I surely do.  I don't use it in Easter Baskets, because it just ends up ALL OVER the place.  In years past, I have used large piece of tulle netting all crumpled up for each basket.  This year, I used a glittery tissue paper.  

For Valentines Day, my mom ordered buckets of cookies for the kids.  These buckets were full of white strips of paper that were basically exactly like Easter grass.  And we are STILL finding that white stuff in corners, under beds, etc.  And now, Easter grass on top of it.  SIL got the kids little buckets full of Candy and filled each bucket with an entire bag of Easter grass colored to match the bucket.  It's EVERYWHERE!

Tell me I am not alone in the hatred of Easter grass.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you! When my kids were children and getting Easter baskets, I never put grass in them. I just put the candy right in the basket. One time I heard about someone putting a spring clothing item like a tshirt or pair of shorts on the bottom of the basket. I think that's a clever idea.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I'm with you! When my kids were children and getting Easter baskets, I never put grass in them. I just put the candy right in the basket. One time I heard about someone putting a spring clothing item like a tshirt or pair of shorts on the bottom of the basket. I think that's a clever idea.

Oooh, I like that!  I might do that next year!  I could even make it for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reuse it. I feel sentimental about it, but I get why some people hate it.

I really urge everyone not to get the plastic kind because, you know, single use plastic. Get the paper stuff. It's also got so much less static going, so it's easier to clean up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine don't mess with the grass.  They go through their basket on day one, eat a few things, put everything back and keep their candy in their basket until they are ready to eat it.  Never been a problem and I have 13 year old boys!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(I thought the post said "Easter Gras" like "Mardi Gras" and reminded me of my 10yo's calling Easter Monday "Fat Monday" instead, for obvious reasons, lol. )

Yes, hate it and don't use it.  Tt is a gift that keeps on giving. On the same level as Christmas tinsel. It is only surpassed by glitter. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I reuse it. I feel sentimental about it, but I get why some people hate it.

I really urge everyone not to get the plastic kind because, you know, single use plastic. Get the paper stuff. It's also got so much less static going, so it's easier to clean up.

I had been re-using the same piece of tulle for each kid for years, just bagging it up and keeping it with my sewing fabric lol.  Unfortunately it ended up being a casualty of the move.  But the glittery tissue paper was a good substitute.   

I really like the idea of using a new spring outfit as the filler.  

Or, playing off that, maybe I will make each of the kids a little pillow with spring fabric to use as a basket filler.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reuse it every year, but yes, I hate it. When the kids were little, I used to raise grass for their baskets. Yes, I'm a bit OCD. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds really bad for the environment. When the kids were little and we did a secular celebration of the first full moon after the spring equinox we just hid hard boiled eggs and gave them some organic jelly beans. They don't seem to have suffered from the lowered expectations.

(We would not have even given them the jelly beans except that, while the kids liked dying, finding, and re-hiding eggs, they didn't and don't like eating them afterwards. Every year since they hit their double digits they ask if we're dying eggs, and every year I say we'll do that if and only if the adults aren't the only ones to eat them, and thus far they've declined every last time.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge fan. We have some paper grass we reuse each year. Somewhere we have the plastic stuff that I reused for a few years as well. Goes in the basket, then back into the ziplock lol. I almost didn't put any in ds' basket because I couldn't find enough and dh worried it would look bad for one kid to have it and not the other. I was like honestly I don't think ds cares at all but I did find some more and spread it out. 

In our household the Easter bunny recycles so we put out the same basket/grass each year and he just fills it. I don't know what most people do? When I was a kid my parents gave me a store made basket and it may or may not have come with grass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Not a huge fan. We have some paper grass we reuse each year. Somewhere we have the plastic stuff that I reused for a few years as well. Goes in the basket, then back into the ziplock lol. I almost didn't put any in ds' basket because I couldn't find enough and dh worried it would look bad for one kid to have it and not the other. I was like honestly I don't think ds cares at all but I did find some more and spread it out. 

In our household the Easter bunny recycles so we put out the same basket/grass each year and he just fills it. I don't know what most people do? When I was a kid my parents gave me a store made basket and it may or may not have come with grass. 

We have always put out the same basket, but the bunny fills it with candy and stuff.  The netting/tissue paper filler is supplied by the bunny.  That was how my parents always did it.  Though, my parents also hid our baskets so Easter morning was always a hunt to find the basket.  We never did an egg hunt when I was a kid so the basket search was a good substitute I suppose.  

 

I am  contemplating buying some new baskets if there are any on clearance this weekend.  The ones the kids have are like these, and the collapsible feature is great for storage but it's not really practical for shoving in boxes of sidewalk chalk, dollar store packages of bubbles, etc etc.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine have had the same baskets since they were 2 and it still has the same grass from when they were 2 :biggrin:!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Mine have had the same baskets since they were 2 and it still has the same grass from when they were 2 :biggrin:!

Same here (mine are coming up on 11/13)! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

We have always put out the same basket, but the bunny fills it with candy and stuff.  The netting/tissue paper filler is supplied by the bunny.  That was how my parents always did it.  Though, my parents also hid our baskets so Easter morning was always a hunt to find the basket.  We never did an egg hunt when I was a kid so the basket search was a good substitute I suppose.  

 

I am  contemplating buying some new baskets if there are any on clearance this weekend.  The ones the kids have are like these, and the collapsible feature is great for storage but it's not really practical for shoving in boxes of sidewalk chalk, dollar store packages of bubbles, etc etc.  

Lol when I was a kid we hunted for the basket, too. I think for our family it was like the bunny supplied the first baskets and grass and then we just reused it stating that the bunny recycles LOL 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!  I stopped using it years ago.  No more finding random strips of shiny plastic for months after Easter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I abandoned anything but the paper kind years ago, and this years experiment is the edible grass.  We'll see how that goes, but so far I haven't found any outside of the bin I put candy in this year. (We do a different usable container each year.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband hated easter grass, He would curse it for months after. I switched to grabbing whatever pretty fabric was handy and putting it in the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never heard of it.  I am imaging shredded green paper is that right? When I saw the title I thought it was something edible.  I am sure we have in NZ I just haven't seen it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiwik said:

I have never heard of it.  I am imaging shredded green paper is that right? When I saw the title I thought it was something edible.  I am sure we have in NZ I just haven't seen it.

I assumed they meant the plastic kind which has been most popular in recent decades.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-Platinum-Easter-Basket/dp/B00TNPTDAQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=easter+grass&qid=1556267769&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I seem to remember it being paper when I was a little kid.  You can still get the paper kind.  It does seem less annoying than the plastic.  But still annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always hated it, but paper is at least better than plastic. It doesn’t “stick” to stuff nearly as much. (And, yeah, environmental stuff and all.)

This year, dh was out of town with the ladder the day before Easter, so I couldn’t get to the baskets and whatnot until late in the day, and I wasn’t entirely sure how much grass we had.  A last minute run (through multiple stores) left me paying $8 for 3 little bags, but at least they were paper!

I wish I had read some of these creative alternatives back when my kids were smaller. That’s when it was a real mess!  Not too bad these days, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I wouldn't say I hate it (I mean the traditional plastic-y grass), but I slowly worked my way to using that thicker, paper grass instead.  It seems to stay together better and not fly away and stick to everything!

Edited by J-rap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandma was a very prim and proper little old southern lady who kept an immaculate house. I remember her telling us in a very shocked tone of voice that she had been over to her neighbors' house and - horror of horrors -  they still had Easter grass in their carpet three months after Easter. From her reaction, you would have thought they had a collection of severed heads on their mantel or something. It still cracks me up every time I think about it!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hate Easter grass, but not as much as DH. He has banned it from the house, though I have saved a bit in a ziplock for if I ever want it to decorate with. My kids just go around with the eggs clanking around in their Easter buckets (grass and buckets both courtesy of the great-grandparents, who had to be reminded more than once that we didn’t need a new Easter basket every year because the old ones didn’t get “used up”)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I banned it from the house too.  It's the worst kind of plastic.  It's tiny, it gets everywhere and sooner or later gets blown into water to be eaten by innocent marine life.

I've skipped it, used outfits or any other kind of fabric that kids need (socks, jerseys, infant bibs, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Selkie said:

My grandma was a very prim and proper little old southern lady who kept an immaculate house. I remember her telling us in a very shocked tone of voice that she had been over to her neighbors' house and - horror of horrors -  they still had Easter grass in their carpet three months after Easter. From her reaction, you would have thought they had a collection of severed heads on their mantel or something. It still cracks me up every time I think about it!

 

Every little old Southern lady I know has a house cleaning compulsion. I've heard some of them discuss at church that they HAD to keep their house clean because what if they died in their sleep or got in a car accident or something and people came over with food for their husbands, saw a mess, and thought they actually lived that way?  Oh the horror!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate Easter grass. When DS was small, I found an Easter basket that was lined with a pretty, light green fabric. We use it every year and it's been working well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like it but it isn't a big deal to me. I don't buy it and just use a new clothing item as a filler in the bottom of the basket...or if things are packaged, they just go in as it.  Swim suits, shirts, light jackets, shorts, etc have all made appearances over the years.

When the grandparents give them something that uses grass, I just pull the grass out on Easter and toss it. Vacuum  up any debris and it is gone. It doesn't linger to get spread about. I actually find the paper kind to make a bigger mess that the plastic.  I would rather see it used since it is kinder to the  environment but it is dustier and full of lots of little bits that get stuck in the basket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't bought it in a while.  I used to reuse it and put it in a zip lock at the end of every season, but that has been gone a while.

Oh, wait, I take that back.  I got a tiny basket with grass already in it at the thrift store this year for my teen at home and then put all the candy on top in a zip lock! . I got 3 plastic eggs and filled them with cash.

And then I took candy to my college son in a quart sized ziplock this past week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...