Menu

Any recommendations for online game development courses?

DS is finishing 9th grade. He's wrapping up the Edhesive AP CS A course and will take the test next month. He previously did the Edhesive Intro to CS course, so he is familiar with Python and Java.

He is interested in video game development and we were thinking of having him go through a MOOC-type course to see if he enjoyed it. I'm planning to have him look through these Udemy courses to see what he wants to do, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations (or non-recommendations!) for any of them in particular. I would only buy them when they are doing one of their frequent $10-12 sales, of course.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/development/game-development/

If there are other courses that anyone would recommend other than the Udemy ones I'd be happy to hear about those, also. The EdX HarvardX CS50's Intro to Game Development looks interesting.

I've looked at the Edx RITx Video Game Design XSeries and I'm not sure that's what he would want, although I will show it to him in case. I also looked at the Coursera MSU Game Design and Development Specialization and that looked intriguing but I don't think Coursera's monthly fee setup will work for us. I would rather just pay once and always have access to the course.

He is not interested in the art side so much as level design, programming, etc, if that makes a difference. 

I realize he may well not end up going into game development, and he and I both think he should get a Computer Science degree, perhaps with a game development concentration, rather than a Game Design degree. But since this is a current interest of his I would like him to explore it.

This is not a subject I know anything about--I don't particularly enjoy playing video games--so any input would be helpful!