Menu

stevia and lyme - research

gardenmom5

This was posted to my thyroid group.  I don't use stevia, and I don't have lyme. I know there are those on the board that do and I thought some might find this interesting.  

https://draxe.com/stevia-kills-lyme-disease/?fbclid=IwAR0DM0_IdpX8yIDomc43TVO26EEsiv9VFSmkvS3cOVwYygHlPC1K_JD9hyk

It certainly sounds interesting, but I hope this doesn’t encourage anyone to throw away their prescription for doxycycline and use Stevia for their Lyme disease instead. 

I can imagine that there will be a few of the anti-antibiotics crowd who will start advising people to eschew the doxycycline and use the “natural cure” instead, which could lead to some very unfortunate results. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Wow. 

Side note, I didn't know the leafy plant can be used as a sweetener..

I know a woman who uses stevia exclusively and she swears it tastes exactly like sugar.

It doesn’t. 

I tried it and it was sweet in an odd way and the aftertaste was weird. I know some people like it, but I sure didn’t!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I know a woman who uses stevia exclusively and she swears it tastes exactly like sugar.

It doesn’t. 

I tried it and it was sweet in an odd way and the aftertaste was weird. I know some people like it, but I sure didn’t!

It tastes different from sugar, but not radically different to me. I've wondered before if there's a genetic component to this - sort of the way cilantro tastes like soap to some people.

• Like 2

I prefer Stevia to other artificial sweeteners, but honestly, when ypu’re talking killing organisms in a Petri dish, I wonder whether it was the stevia, or the alcohol. 

• Like 2

I had what was probably Lyme last year (my test came back negative, but my symptoms matched pretty much exactly, the test can take a while to come up positive if you catch it early, and the antibiotics made it go away). I have stevia in my tea every morning, but still got sick. 🤷‍♀️

I don't think it tastes exactly like sugar - it has a anise-y aftertaste, like black licorice. But I love black licorice, so I'm okay with it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sammish said:

I had what was probably Lyme last year (my test came back negative, but my symptoms matched pretty much exactly, the test can take a while to come up positive if you catch it early, and the antibiotics made it go away). I have stevia in my tea every morning, but still got sick. 🤷‍♀️

I don't think it tastes exactly like sugar - it has a anise-y aftertaste, like black licorice. But I love black licorice, so I'm okay with it!

You were smart to take the antibiotics right away. If you had waited until the tests came back positive, you would have probably had a much harder time getting better and it would have taken a lot longer. 

I’m a big believer in being as proactive as possible when it comes to Lyme disease.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

You were smart to take the antibiotics right away. If you had waited until the tests came back positive, you would have probably had a much harder time getting better and it would have taken a lot longer. 

I’m a big believer in being as proactive as possible when it comes to Lyme disease.

Yes, my friend that is so sick waited too long....not intentionally...she just didn't realize it was Lymes.  In hindsight she remembers what she thought was a spider bite.  

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It tastes different from sugar, but not radically different to me. I've wondered before if there's a genetic component to this - sort of the way cilantro tastes like soap to some people.

I'm almost completely convinced that's true.  There seems to be some overlap with licorice - people who don't like licorice seem to also not like stevia.

I looove stevia.  It's not exactly the same, esp. at when you first try it (yes, it's a bit licoricey), but to me it just tastes sweet now - like normal.  The artificial sweeteners (saccharine, aspartame, sucralose) all have a huge nasty chemical aftertaste to me. 

I wouldn't forgo antibiotics if I actually got Lyme (Lyme terrifies me; I live in tick-land and know lots of people who've been seriously impacted), but nice to know I might be taking a daily preventative. :wink:

And like the article says, don't use the highly processed junk like Truvia (even just for sweetening), which is something like 90+% of some kind of bulky filler.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

It doesn’t. 

First time I tried it I didn't like it and didn't use it for years.  Then I started reading scary stuff about Splenda.  Stopped using that and really didn't want to go back to using sugar.  So I gave stevia a try again. It tasted so much better this time around.   I don't know if using Splenda before helped prepare my tastebuds or if they've gotten better at making stevia...or what.

I've used both the liquid form and the powdered form.

There are many different types of stevia. Many are mixed with other things (erythritol, maltodextrin, etc), while others are pure stevia. Even pure stevia can be processed differently. If you are interested in trying a very yummy stevia, Trim Healthy Mama makes a pure stevia that is wonderful. They also make Gentle Sweet, which is a blend of erythritol, xylitol, and stevia, that is great in baked goods (it has the bulk, which many baked good need). I use the pure stevia in shakes and smoothies. 

I’ve tried other store bought stevia and I like some (Pyure and Truvia, which are both blends) and disliked some.  Just thought I’d add my two cents!

Edited by Just Kate

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I'm almost completely convinced that's true.  There seems to be some overlap with licorice - people who don't like licorice seem to also not like stevia.

I can't stand licorice or stevia, but DS and DH love licorice and also can't stand stevia. So, there's that, if we're going on the purely anecdotal. 

Regardless, I agree with a pp's concern that people will think they can self medicate with sweetener substitute. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Having been through a helluva trip with dd before she was correctly diagnosed, I agree totally. I don’t mess around anymore. If I think it could be Lyme, we go directly to doxycycline. 

• Like 1