Menu

Literary Analysis for Logic Stage (Gr.5-6)?

Maryam

What are good Literature curricula which help you dig deeper in the books for my 6th grader (something like Center for Lit in terms of literary analysis but not an online class)? I believe Excellence in Literature starts in 8th grade.  Memorial Press has mainly literal comprehension questions, which isn’t what I’m looking for. Suggestions?

Figuratively Speaking is a good introduction. There's a list of short stories posted on the Logic board that can go with each chapter. Honestly, I haven't seen anything better. There are some good lit guides out there though to allow you to do this with individual books. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Figuratively Speaking is a good introduction. There's a list of short stories posted on the Logic board that can go with each chapter. Honestly, I haven't seen anything better. There are some good lit guides out there though to allow you to do this with individual books. 

Can you suggest which literature guides for individual books are good?

Third vote for Teaching the Classics, but I also love Deconstructing Penguins.  If you go through these programs, you won't really have to use a guide unless you are still uncomfortable without one. I did both of these before starting a book club when my ds was in 3rd grade. 

You might begin with picture books so that you are dealing with a shorter work. It can make discussion of the whole work much easier for the first few go tries at it. Then maybe do a short chapter book. I wouldn't worry about reading level at all at first.  

I have used Figuratively Speaking with my own children but in like 7th-9th grades. Personally, I think reading books and discussing the concepts would be a better place to start.  

I made this document that could be used with any book. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84OG3_hMVq6b2ZMcEFmMkhDTDg/view?usp=sharing

I use this for a figurative language activity. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84OG3_hMVq6YWhTQk1nUmxuTDA/view?usp=sharing

I did a really fun thing as well with figurative language. I had my students create a "figurative language" cafe menu with all the items titled using figurative language. Then we had a party where they brought a food from their menus. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Third vote for Teaching the Classics, but I also love Deconstructing Penguins.  If you go through these programs, you won't really have to use a guide unless you are still uncomfortable without one. I did both of these before starting a book club when my ds was in 3rd grade. 

You might begin with picture books so that you are dealing with a shorter work. It can make discussion of the whole work much easier for the first few go tries at it. Then maybe do a short chapter book. I wouldn't worry about reading level at all at first.  

I have used Figuratively Speaking with my own children but in like 7th-9th grades. Personally, I think reading books and discussing the concepts would be a better place to start.  

I made this document that could be used with any book. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84OG3_hMVq6b2ZMcEFmMkhDTDg/view?usp=sharing

I use this for a figurative language activity. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B84OG3_hMVq6YWhTQk1nUmxuTDA/view?usp=sharing

I did a really fun thing as well with figurative language. I had my students create a "figurative language" cafe menu with all the items titled using figurative language. Then we had a party where they brought a food from their menus. 

Thanks for sharing this! 

• Like 1