Menu

Teacher guide needed for Windows to the World?

...But if it is like Elegant Essay, the teacher will need his/her own student book, too, because the teacher guide doesn't have the info that is in the student book that he/she will need to actually teach the class. 😠

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

...But if it is like Elegant Essay, the teacher will need his/her own student book, too, because the teacher guide doesn't have the info that is in the student book that he/she will need to actually teach the class. 😠

Yes, the teacher will need the student book.  The parents would only need the teacher book if they were grading the assigned charts, etc.

14 hours ago, freesia said:

Yes, the teacher will need the student book.  The parents would only need the teacher book if they were grading the assigned charts, etc.

Hmm... I'm not sure we will issue grades. if parents grade does that mean the teacher book is needed?

I just taught this in a small co-op setting, and the parents and students do NOT need the Jill Pike syllabus. The teacher needs it, and it does contain assignment pages for the kids, but it's allowed by copyright to share those with students. Each students needs his own copy of the IEW student book. 

I had the most WONDERFUL experience (as a teacher!) teaching this course last year, and recommend it highly. Can't wait until younger kiddo is old enough for me to do it again. 🙂

• Like 2

I was planning to do Windows to the World with my freshmen next year.  Just to make sure I am understanding, I will need 3 student books (I have twins so need 2 for sure) and only need the teacher's manual if I am assigning them a grade (which I plan to do)?

@mlktwins The teaching is in the teacher guide. You'll need a TG.

(Note: I greatly despised Elegant Essay & have a completely new WttW set untouched because I can't imagine trying to teach it knowing it is by the same author. I'm glad someone had success. It was a hot mess at my house.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, staceyobu said:

Hmm... I'm not sure we will issue grades. if parents grade does that mean the teacher book is needed?

Only if you want the worksheets graded.  They can base the grade on the essays and writing responses without the Teacher book.

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I was planning to do Windows to the World with my freshmen next year.  Just to make sure I am understanding, I will need 3 student books (I have twins so need 2 for sure) and only need the teacher's manual if I am assigning them a grade (which I plan to do)?

Within a family, IEW allows photocopying.  So, it is possible to just photocopy the worksheets and the short stories that need to be annotated and to share a book.  I am on my third child using the same Student book.  You would need the teacher's manual for the answers to the questions on the worksheets for sure, even if you weren't assigning a grade. 

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@mlktwins The teaching is in the teacher guide. You'll need a TG.

(Note: I greatly despised Elegant Essay & have a completely new WttW set untouched because I can't imagine trying to teach it knowing it is by the same author. I'm glad someone had success. It was a hot mess at my house.)

Gonna be honest, while I enjoyed the whole class, the Jill Pike Syllabus is what put it into "EXCELLENT" category for me - I really appreciated the paper checklists & week-by-week instructions broken down. My students did, too. (We altered the allusion project slightly.) I also liked that it was a 28-week class the way we did it (condensing the 1st 5 lessons into 1), which allows us to "end" early, do a 1-month Grammar Boot Camp, and be DONE with a quality English class. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, freesia said:

Within a family, IEW allows photocopying.  So, it is possible to just photocopy the worksheets and the short stories that need to be annotated and to share a book.

That's what we did, so, 1 teacher guide & 1 student guide for 1 mom and 2 students.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, RootAnn said:

Side bar comment:

Is it strange that I am encouraged by the hatred of The Elegant Essay?  I was just at convention and telling the IEW ladies my kids hate it and I am disliking it also. The response I received was that most people either love it or hate it. Beyond that, all three of the teachers had different approaches to implementing The Elegant Essay. It was very interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1