Menu

Planter Fasciitis - What worked for you?

datgh

I left the podiatrist after they mentioned cortisone shots. I simply couldn't imagine doing such a thing voluntarily and limped as fast as I could outta there and cried the whole way home.

What helped me may be of no use to you whatsoever, but I swear it cured my poor feet.

I bought a pair of Crocs and wore them everywhere for a few weeks (maybe 3? Might've been longer...). After about a month, I only wore them at home. It's been years now, and I still keep Crocs to wear around the house. When I go out, I wear any shoes I want and have zero pain.

I am almost never barefoot. That will cause a flareup for me in no time at all.

But many of my shoes are flat-soled (sandals or other shoes with thin soles) and I have no problems with those whatsoever.

My daughter had the same issue starting up when she started college and went to the doctors there (she was far away from me and couldn't exactly explain what/where was hurting). She was given inserts for her shoes, which started to cause other issues for her particular gait. When she came home for Christmas break, I brought her some Crocs to wear at the house. By the time she went home, her feet were feeling better. She took them to school, wears them around her dorm room at all times, or if she's pounding up and down the stairs with laundry or whatever... and she's also had no foot/heel pain since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 2:30 PM, Ktgrok said:

have you tried the Vionic flip flops? My orthopedist recommended them. I don't like their other shoes really, but the Wave and Tide flip flops are AMAZING and are specifically designed for plantar fasciitis. It's like a flip flop with built in orthotics. Took a few days to get used to them (because of the built in orthotic) but everyone I know that has tried them swears by them. This is the pair I have (they are not cheap, but they WORK. I buy a new pair every year because I wear them year round, nearly daily, and the support starts to be less by then. I can tell the difference). https://www.amazon.com/Vionic-Womens-Tide-Post-Sandal/dp/B01HOVN23O?th=1&psc=1

I just wanted to pop back in to thank you for this recommendation. I am so happy to be wearing flip flops again - and no foot pain! You're right about the not cheap part, but if they last a full year than I'll be happy. They have great support. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 5:59 PM, Math teacher said:

The towel exercise that stretches the calf muscle helped me a lot. Also the one that you stretch while facing a wall-I don't know how to explain it, but if you search for exercises, it should come up. Another beneficial exercise for me was to balance on steps with the heel hanging off.

Good shoes are a must. I like Fit Flop.

My husband learned that stretch at Fleet Feet and swears by it! He's fine when he does that (and wears good shoes).

Expensive shoes - Keens and Brooks.   When it was really bad the first time I wore the night brace for a while.  Stretching exercises.

I do go barefoot around the house and it doesn't seem to make a difference but I'm not home very often and when I am I'm usually sitting down or in bed, so that may be why.

Mine was good for about 2 years and recently started up again.  I think because I gained weight over the winter.