Menu

Currclick is closing April 30

Aww. I used to get so much from there for little unit studies and such when my bigs were little. I didn't realize they were so new when I was using them back then. I had a lot of fun on their Easter egg hunts they used to have for freebies. I have tons of downloads from them saved on my computer for just about any topic. But I will be honest I haven't purchased in a long time from them. For me, I bought a subscription to SchoolHouseTeachers and have access to everything on their site for one price, for all subjects all grades. So that has served the purpose that Currclick used to for me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Well, I am sure glad I didn't pursue them as an option when Educents shut down.  I wonder what they see as the trend?

I'm curious too. On the one hand, I think people are moving away from individual unit studies and the like, which they sold, and into more online classes and packages. On the other hand... TPT is thriving just fine. And their site hasn't significantly changed in look and feel ever from what I can see, which is a huge thing if you want to keep your business fresh.

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I'm curious too. On the one hand, I think people are moving away from individual unit studies and the like, which they sold, and into more online classes and packages. On the other hand... TPT is thriving just fine. And their site hasn't significantly changed in look and feel ever from what I can see, which is a huge thing if you want to keep your business fresh.

I wonder if it is also the shift to co-ops and outsourced teachers vs teaching at home. Small individual unit studies are probably not co-op friendly. (I am having a difficult time understanding local trends. There is a co-op here that uses TT for math. That is doubly out of my world of understanding. 😉 )

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

Aww. I used to get so much from there for little unit studies and such when my bigs were little. I didn't realize they were so new when I was using them back then. I had a lot of fun on their Easter egg hunts they used to have for freebies. I have tons of downloads from them saved on my computer for just about any topic. But I will be honest I haven't purchased in a long time from them. For me, I bought a subscription to SchoolHouseTeachers and have access to everything on their site for one price, for all subjects all grades. So that has served the purpose that Currclick used to for me. 

Me too.  I used to buy little holiday studies and things like that. Now that my girls have gotten older, I haven't bought from them in a long time.

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

I am not sure how I double quoted you!  What is TPT?

I know that for my tutoring kids, I find it easier to find materials on Teachers Pay Teachers (both ones I've already purchased and new ones) than on Currclick. Their search is far more detailed and specific.   I have several hundred items in my CurrClick purchase history, so obviously I've used them quite a bit-we did a lot of the lapbooking, timeline stuff when DD was younger because she needed the fine motor practice, and I loved their yearly events (I have a lot on my history I never downloaded, and I'm guessing most of those were the freebies), but I must admit that until I'd logged in yesterday (and did buy a few things), I hadn't bought anything there for probably 5 years, while I've purchased from TPT in the last month.

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

3 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I wonder if it is also the shift to co-ops and outsourced teachers vs teaching at home. Small individual unit studies are probably not co-op friendly. (I am having a difficult time understanding local trends. There is a co-op here that uses TT for math. That is doubly out of my world of understanding. 😉 )

I also think the target audience made a difference. Although many homeschoolers use TPT, they really market to all teachers - public, private, homeschoolers - whereas Currclick and Educents marketed mostly to homeschoolers. Teachers in general are a much bigger market.

Also as 8FilltheHeart mentioned, many homeschoolers moving towards coops - TPT materials are geared toward a classroom already, so coop-friendly.

I also almost went to Currclick for my online class idea. I was working and earning a grad degree at the time though, and couldn't keep up with their deadlines, so was dropped. I'm glad I found Outschool (and later Luma Learn) when I did - a few months later- and thrived there. I don't see them closing any time soon. (They also take a much smaller cut than Currclick did!)

• Like 2

I'm a newer homeschooler. We are in a co-op but there's no curriculum, mostly just field trips and themed play. I tried a couple little unit studies but the reason I don't anymore is because I find it easier to get a few books from the library and look up a few activities on the web. Many picture books on academic topics have extension activities in the back. So perhaps part of the trend is because of more availability of academic picture books and more people blogging/Pinterest of homeschool ideas.

I loved the Easter hunts Currclick did, too. I have Miquon Orange in downloadable form from Currclick & loved being able to print another sheet (sometimes to use it with the same kid in a different way & sometimes to use it with a different kid). I remember trying to get more Miquon downloadable later but they no longer sold it that way.

I bought Sentence Family from Currclick. Lots of science unit studies, some geography stuff, and various printables, but like many others, I haven't bought anything in many years (2013?).

Thank you so much for posting this!!!

Right now all of my downloads are spread across about 5 computers and I can never find anything.  I usually just go to my "library" to find what I am looking for and redownload.  I will just redo it all to make sure I haven't missed or lost anything (I am too embarrassed to say how many items I have in my library ... lol).  As a bonus, it will all be in one place now!

The new homeschoolers aren't putting their stuff together on their own anymore or using unit studies.  They're into online classes, virtual academies, university model schools/co-ops.  I've been working on an idea I have to come out with downloadable literature studies, but I don't think there is a market for them and I'm probably wasting my time.  *shrug*

And I bought Miquon on currclick, too. :(

• Like 3

Personally, I stopped using Currclick a few years ago, when they started getting flooded with substandard materials from folks who just saw it as an outlet to self-publish. Their search function wasn't very good, and it took a lot of weeding through materials to find what I needed. I tended to stick with the handful of publishers that I knew I liked, because there was so much fluffy junk in their catalog. I'd originally switched to Currclick from DedicatedTeacher, because I liked being able to find homeschool specific stuff.

Now I use TpT for digital resources. Materials there are more likely to be reviewed and vetted by the community, and poor quality quickly gets fewer stars, so I feel like it's easier to find quality, tried and true materials.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, parent said:

I hadn't heard of Currclick before this post.  An FLL post on K8 board referenced The Sentence Family, available on Currclick.  That looks very fun and I'm purchasing it.  I wonder if there are any other gems I should get on currclick, especially with the sale.  Any recommendations?

I bought Map Trek Ancient and Map Trek New World.  They are both 40% off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...