Menu

Any experience with the CLT exam?

I’ve seen it promoted a few times, but it seems to only be accepted by a very small number of colleges.  I don’t know what the thinking is behind taking this test over the ACT or SAT, but I’d be interested to know.  I want to say Lukeion just mentioned it, but I’ll have to double check.

I didn’t know you could also use it for an assessment in the earlier grades and it’s free (at least sometimes).

From Lukeion’s recent newsletter:

“Opportunity for a FREE online 10th-grade CLT assessment

If you homeschool, there's a good chance you are required to complete annual assessments or, if you don't, the PSAT, the ACT, and the SAT are all on your radar. We have been contacted by CLT, a group working to promote a better-than-the-ACT-or-SAT type of assessment. They asked us to let you know they have a free online 10th-grade assessment (equivalent to the PSAT) coming up quickly. Register now because the exam is April 11. You'll have another chance in the autumn for the same free online 10th grade assessment. Go here for more information

Plenty of info on their website. 

There is an 8th grade version as well as the CLT10 and the regular one. Dd will take it in May. 

I think it is designed to be harder than the SAT and to give opportunity for students to demonstrate reasoning abilities that the SAT/ACT no longer test. 

It is intriguing, but will never replace the big-money tests for most kids. But even some secular schools/great books programs accept it in lieu of other scores. Clemson's Lyceum program and St. John's.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Plenty of info on their website. 

There is an 8th grade version as well as the CLT10 and the regular one. Dd will take it in May. 

I think it is designed to be harder than the SAT and to give opportunity for students to demonstrate reasoning abilities that the SAT/ACT no longer test. 

It is intriguing, but will never replace the big-money tests for most kids. But even some secular schools/great books programs accept it in lieu of other scores. Clemson's Lyceum program and St. John's.

I was really surprised to see my ds’s school accepts it.  Especially since it is a public university.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My dd took the CLT8 yesterday and did fairly well with zero prep. I love the detailed analytics for the scoring! So helpful in knowing what to work on.

She took the test yesterday morning and the scores were up this morning when I logged in to the CLT site.

Eric Metaxas interviewed Jeremy Tate, one of the CLT founders. 

Edited by ScoutTN

On 4/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, ScoutTN said:

Wall Street Journal and the Gospel Coalition ran articles on the CLT this week.  Here is the GC one. Try this link to the WSJ article. (Not sure it will work. I can get behind the paywall, but not sure the link will. )

In The Gospel Coalition article there is an image of a question of the week. I would love to know how to access those. Anyone know how to find these? I tried to locate it on the CLT site, but didn't see anything.

FA56195D-9987-4D81-9B61-CF9B0561F2C2.png

• Like 1