Menu

Were you ever diagnosed as having Borderline Personality Disorder as an adult, or know someone close to you who was?

J-rap

I have 2 immediate family members who were diagnosed with it (one is a parent).  You can PM me if you would like, but I'm probably not the best person to give advice.  I do wish you luck, though.  I hope you're able to get some answers!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StellaM said:

DBT is gold standard treatment for BPD. Group + individual therapy weekly. 

It is a highly stigmatised disorder, so be careful with whom you share such a diagnosis.

It is absolutely treatable.

Yes, I know.  It's part of the reason why I'm so apprehensive to even talk about it!  I think if they could come up with a different name for it it would be so much more acceptable!  The name just sounds scary.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, umsami said:

It is sometimes used as a diagnosis of last resort.  Also, people who are survivors of child sexual abuse can be diagnosed with it, when a more accurate diagnosis is C-PTSD.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/27/are-sexual-abuse-victims-being-diagnosed-with-a-mental-disorder-they-dont-have

That's interesting.  I think mental illnesses -- but maybe even this one (BPD) in particular -- are often greatly misunderstood.  I generally think of BPD as a bandage label to something that is far more complex.  That is, it's probably really a multitude of various symptoms and brain types and events that happen to show themselves in similar ways and so have been labeled as one thing.  Probably sometimes that doesn't matter so much -- sometimes many things can benefit from the same response and treatments.  But other times it would probably be more beneficial to skip the label altogether and instead work toward breaking it down to its components and work on those individually.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

That's interesting.  I think mental illnesses -- but maybe even this one (BPD) in particular -- are often greatly misunderstood.  I generally think of BPD as a bandage label to something that is far more complex.  That is, it's probably really a multitude of various symptoms and brain types and events that happen to show themselves in similar ways and so have been labeled as one thing.  Probably sometimes that doesn't matter so much -- sometimes many things can benefit from the same response and treatments.  But other times it would probably be more beneficial to skip the label altogether and instead work toward breaking it down to its components and work on those individually.

And there's a spectrum. Many people have "aspects of" and function perfectly in life. We're all a little "off" if a psychologist really dug into us.

When a majority of the boxes are checked, and they are destroying relationships and making poor choices. Different matter.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, umsami said:

It is sometimes used as a diagnosis of last resort.  Also, people who are survivors of child sexual abuse can be diagnosed with it, when a more accurate diagnosis is C-PTSD.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/27/are-sexual-abuse-victims-being-diagnosed-with-a-mental-disorder-they-dont-have

childhood emotional abuse (my grandmother's covert narcissism was more damaging than the childhood emotional neglect of my mother).  I've been diagnosed/am in treatment for cptsd, so I've read a bit on BPD as well since I've seen it come up "which is this?".   they can come from the similar places - my understanding is the biggest difference is how it manifests.  in extremely simplistic terms - cptsd is inward, bpd it outwards towards others. 

I can't look it up right now - Joanna kujath on youtube has some good information.

• Like 1