Menu

Decorating advice: brown couch

mmasc

I have an old-ish brown sectional that’s showing some wear, but it’s laz z boy and in good condition structurally.  I think I can make it work in a family room/boys-playing-video-games type of area. The problem is is that it’s not my style AT ALL. I loathe brown. Nothing else in my home is in that color scheme. Is there any way I can make this couch tolerable for a room that’s not even one I’ll hang in very much, but one I’ll still see often? You guys are so good at decorating ideas, so lay it on me Hive! 😊

I've been super happy with an inexpensive stretch slipcover I bought from Amazon for my basement sofa:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186VDEL6/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like there are similar ones available for sectionals. Because it's stretchy, it stays in place well, unlike the "tie on" kind. You could do any color you wanted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

My sofa is dark brown to hide... uh... kid stains.  It doesn’t match my decor, which would have suited a white or cream sofa better.  But it works in the decor because of other bright colors and a few dark pieces that ‘match’ and tie it in. But I’ve got pinks, oranges, corals, lavenders, blue, creams, and greens going on.  It works!

I’d love to see a pic of how you incorporate so many colors, if you’d be willing to share one. I’d like to add color, but I mostly have neutrals...grays, whites, etc. I think I’m ready for a bit of color. 

My couches are tan and the walls are grey, but I liven it up a bit with aqua and yellow accents and tie it all together with dark wood tables, chair legs, bookcases, desk, etc. I think a darker brown couch could work in my space, too, if that’s what I had to work with.

• Like 1

@Arctic Mama that’s beautiful! Even in disarray! Thank you for posting.  I love the colors. I think I need to look into having someone help me pull it all together. I love the idea of the walls being painted, but that’s probably not going to happen in my house. So I’ll have to go with other things. I really like your orange rug. Where did you find it? I need to do some rug shopping. 

My couch isn’t even a dark, rich brown; it’s just...brown...like dirt color 😂 I *could* post a pic, but it looks particularly hideous right now since it’s in the drab basement waiting to be placed somewhere better. 

I like pops of red to brighten up a brown color scheme. Maybe with some light taupe stuff too. So some red throw pillows and some light tan/beige/taupe/whatever throw pillows and a red throw blanket over the arm of the sofa or folded on the ottoman if there is one, plus a red throw rug in front can really brighten it up. And red is great because it goes with Christmas, 4th of July, and Valentine's day, lol. 

• Like 1

This was our couch. It’s the color of brown beach sand. I think it showed up a little lighter in the pics. I personally don’t mind brown sofas although this one is gone (bit the dust), and I now have a light gray and navy-ish blue sofas. 

D728DC10-4D4A-4321-9BD0-99DC4A440BC1.jpeg

2A0D5B28-C378-4583-AF29-7C7CA2BE9B78.jpeg

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 3

GThis is what I did to it for staging when we sold it. Imagine Toys R Us exploded all over it, 4 pairs of my husbands shoes strewn about, 5 remotes inexplicably for 1 tv and 1 cable box, too many books, a couple of toddler rocking chairs, a giant cloth bin of blocks and duplo legos, and a couple of snuggle blankets all in that much-too-small-for-all-that-stuff space. Take away the “stuff” and that was what was left. But it did look nice cleaned up, which only happened when my in-laws visited and staging. 🙂

ETA. We did put those floors in. My favorite. And I did love that brown couch. 

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a brown/black velvet tapestry sofa. My primary decorating colors are burgundy and gold. My rug is a burgundy oriental and then I have burgundy curtains, throw pillows and throws with gold sheers and accents in the rug and some pillows. SO the color of the couches don't matter at all. I could totally change them out (which I plan to do soon) and it wouldn't majorly change the look at all. I haven't finished repainting the downstairs from builders' beige to the Valspar Crepe (a golden color) we have (and love) upstairs. 

My oldest dd has medium brown textured couches. Her paint is called sand greige. The rug is multicolored with cream base and then bright pink, turquoise and yellow. The pillows match the accents in the rug and her curtains are made out of drop clothes. Totally different look than mine but she could also change out her couches and it wouldn't make any difference. 

So I say just pretend that the couch is a non-color and pick the colors that you like for paint, pillows, throws, and curtains.

• Like 1