Menu

cc - Just to share a Joy

Night Elf

I have been avoiding Worship after Sunday School because I feel self conscious sitting alone. I mentioned that here before and the general advice was to just ask if I can sit with my class at service. So today is Easter Sunday and my church had 3 services. The first two were contemporary which I don't care for, and the latest one is the traditional service. I decided early on that I wouldn't go even though it's a huge church holiday. The idea of sitting alone is bad. The idea of sitting alone in a HUGE crowd of people is even worse. I prayed about it and asked God if He thought I should be there to help me feel convicted to do so. Well, I woke up this morning feeling the need to attend. So I went. I sat down in the back. Alone. I was texting DH, not a church goer, to give me something to do until service began. After sitting there for about 5 minutes, I saw two of my Sunday School classmates come in and sit two rows ahead of me. I mustered the courage, got up, and went to them and asked if I could sit with them. They seemed genuinely pleased to see me. Then two more classmates came. One sat next to me and the other on the other end. So I talked with the one closest to me and learned her name was Sandra. So now I know 4 people's names. I explained to her my dilemma of avoiding Worship and she said she used to feel the same way and that's one reason a group of our class sits together for Worship. She told me to join them every Sunday and not feel a need for an invitation and that I was always welcome. 

So now I can start attending Worship every Sunday which brings me immense Joy. 🙂

Happy Easter!

• Like 47

Awww.  That's so sweet of them.  I'm glad God worked that out for you.

I attend church without any immediate family members, but I don't consider myself sitting alone, I'm sitting with my church family, even if I haven't met them yet. (I've been looking for a new church since our move since last May.  I settled in this church a couple of months ago.) I consciously think  for a few moments each Sunday about not only worshiping with my local congregation, I intentionally think about worshiping as part of The Great Multitude too, we're just sitting in different sections now until we can worship together with Jesus.  I imagine what situations Christians in hiding might be experiencing, what's going on at churches in different branches of Christianity all over the world with different styles of worship, the languages they're worshiping in, the different building styles, different types of music, etc.  and remember that as the Bride of Christ, we're all part of the same whole.

Now I'm going to add to my mental rotation you in your traditional service with your class next Sunday. We're all in this together.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I have been avoiding Worship after Sunday School because I feel self conscious sitting alone. I mentioned that here before and the general advice was to just ask if I can sit with my class at service. So today is Easter Sunday and my church had 3 services. The first two were contemporary which I don't care for, and the latest one is the traditional service. I decided early on that I wouldn't go even though it's a huge church holiday. The idea of sitting alone is bad. The idea of sitting alone in a HUGE crowd of people is even worse. I prayed about it and asked God if He thought I should be there to help me feel convicted to do so. Well, I woke up this morning feeling the need to attend. So I went. I sat down in the back. Alone. I was texting DH, not a church goer, to give me something to do until service began. After sitting there for about 5 minutes, I saw two of my Sunday School classmates come in and sit two rows ahead of me. I mustered the courage, got up, and went to them and asked if I could sit with them. They seemed genuinely pleased to see me. Then two more classmates came. One sat next to me and the other on the other end. So I talked with the one closest to me and learned her name was Sandra. So now I know 4 people's names. I explained to her my dilemma of avoiding Worship and she said she used to feel the same way and that's one reason a group of our class sits together for Worship. She told me to join them every Sunday and not feel a need for an invitation and that I was always welcome. 

So now I can start attending Worship every Sunday which brings me immense Joy. 🙂

Happy Easter!

Ah, that made me cry!!!! (happy tears)

It is so funny how often the obstacles in our way are not as big as we think. There is a  quote about that, I'll find it for you, as it really helps me. 

Also, I remind myself when I have things keeping me from worship, that there is someone who doesn't want me to go, and I shouldn't give him the satisfaction. That maybe too dark/creepy for you, and if so, forget I said it. But I'm onrey enough to be more likely to do something out of spite sometimes than self interest, so it helps me, lol. 

Found the quote! 

"Many of our fears are tissue paper thin, and a single courageous step would carry us clear through them.”

Brendan Francis

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Ah, that made me cry!!!! (happy tears)

It is so funny how often the obstacles in our way are not as big as we think. There is a  quote about that, I'll find it for you, as it really helps me. 

Also, I remind myself when I have things keeping me from worship, that there is someone who doesn't want me to go, and I shouldn't give him the satisfaction. That maybe too dark/creepy for you, and if so, forget I said it. But I'm onrey enough to be more likely to do something out of spite sometimes than self interest, so it helps me, lol. 

Found the quote! 

"Many of our fears are tissue paper thin, and a single courageous step would carry us clear through them.”

Brendan Francis

Too true. Yes, I often find the things I fear either don't come to pass or are milder than I anticipated. Having God to help now is making a tremendous difference in my life. I love my God moments. For the Sunday's I missed Worship, I watched the sermon online but I was missing all the extras that go along with service such as baptism, music worship, and communion. So being at home is an okay alternative for days I simply must miss Worship but I'd much prefer to be present for all the good things.

• Like 1