Menu

Mock trial mamas

BlsdMama

On 4/20/2019 at 9:42 PM, BakersDozen said:

How did you get your student involved? I have a dd who thrives on things such as this.

Iowa's pretty big on mock trial - so there are a several teams in our area, as well as three homeschool teams (all under the same program.)  I had it easy - it already existed when we got involved.  There is a head coach, another teacher/coach, legacy coaches (prior students who volunteer their time to coach) and a lawyer who consults.

Our oldest son (who now does Mock Trial for the U of I) decided his junior year that he was going to go out.  I really discouraged him because a) he didn't like to speak in front of people and b) he wasn't good at it.  (It's amusing now, lol.)

Our next daughter went out in 9th grade.  Our homeschool program has a middle school program so child #6 went out last year and #7 says she is next year along with #6.  
I'd start by going to regional and state competitions!  Every state has Mock Trial now.  Then poke around (or contact your state bar and see if they know - they probably do) who has a local team.  Then contact the coach and see if they have try-outs!  I couldn't tell you how to start a team from scratch, but there is info on the Iowa State Bar website!  (Random bit: Mock trial started in Iowa and the fella who runs it here is PASSIONATE about the program and it really shows!!)  

https://www.iowabar.org/page/HSMockTrial?

If I were going to be honest, I think mock trial contributed to more to my kids than anything *I* did in high school.  It's very autonomous - the kid is internally motivated and then coupled with a team - it reallly drives them to work so hard.  The amount of logic, reading, writing, and speaking my kids pour into mock is shocking.  (It's generally about 20-25 hours each week for my daughter - (3) 3-4 hour practices plus self work, memorization, writing, reading, and practice.)