Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
dmmetler

I am rather proud of myself :)

DD’s cheer gym is putting together a parent team for the pre-Summit showcase (we have two of four eligible teams who qualified-you have to win your skill division across age levels at a major competition. DD’s team did not qualify, although they came close). Pretty much all of us are over 40, only a couple ever cheered before (my only experience is cheering for one season of pee wee football when I was 9). Our goal is to surprise (and for those of us with teenagers, see if they can really die of embarrassment) our kids :). We’re taking parts from the various routines that will probably be quite recognizable (everything from the ritual that the senior 5 kids do that is about twice as long as their routine, to the over the top facials and dramatic stomp that the youth kids seem to put on everything, to the over the top “fierceness” and drama that DD’s team put on everything, because I guess to a group of 13-16 yr olds, everything is life and death, serious business...)

It was SO much fun! There’s just something about going out there, knowing you’re going to be horrendously bad, and enjoying it. (It’s also Amazing how dizzying forward rolls and cartwheels are when you haven’t done one for about 30 years....). 

Now to make some really, really big cheer bows :).

• Like 28

3 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Now to make some really, really big cheer bows :).

Pictures or it didn't happen.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I remember when the kids were younger and I demonstrated a cartwheel, out of the blue. Made it, but ow!

I also took part in an adult synchronized figure skating team. I bet they rethought the whole “everyone is welcome” thing the next year, lol!

So, good for you, best of luck, don’t hurt yourself!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

I remember when the kids were younger and I demonstrated a cartwheel, out of the blue. Made it, but ow!

4 hours ago, dmmetler said:

It was SO much fun! There’s just something about going out there, knowing you’re going to be horrendously bad, and enjoying it. (It’s also Amazing how dizzying forward rolls and cartwheels are when you haven’t done one for about 30 years....). 

LOL, I have never been able to do a cartwheel at any age, so I'm extra-impressed! 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, I have never been able to do a cartwheel at any age, so I'm extra-impressed! 

My twin!  I have never been able too either.  

• Like 1

So fun!! My kids' old dance studio used to have a parent dance in the show, and I refused to participate, so I think it's great that you are doing it. I hope you have a ton of fun!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I’m hoping the gym will let us share video once the kids have seen it (there was some at practice last night).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

I’m hoping the gym will let us share video once the kids have seen it (there was some at practice last night).  

I hope there's also video of the kids' reactions 🙂

That all sounds like so much fun and the sort of thing I'd like to try but maybe feel a bit too awkward to actually do. Yay for you!! I really hope we get to see the video!

• Like 1

My first bow attempt-it’s 2 1/2 in ribbon for each piece (so 5” height at the edges), and 7” across. 

A03CB939-3B10-446D-B264-575C252D9E27.jpeg

• Like 5

Good luck!

next year I may do the mom dance team at dd’s studio- she forbids me every year & I’ve got so much else going on... but it’s great exercise & they have a ton of fun!

• Like 1