Menu

BJU Math vs. Saxon - 6th grade

Bay Lake Mom

We have been using BJU Math for a few years.  I tried their Distance Learning, but after a semester of Math 5, I realized my daughter hadn’t really learned anything. I had to start the year over again and teach her myself.   We also have a younger daughter with LD’s. She is currently working through Math 2.  I realize I will either need to use the Teachers Guide (very time consuming because it’s designed for a classroom) or depend on their distance learning option (which we haven’t had luck with.)

I am considering switching to Saxon for 6th grade and up. I would possibly start with Saxon 6/5.  I like that the Dive videos are available, if we decide we need them. 

My reason for considering the switch is : BJU is so expensive!  Math 6 kit is $117, and if I want the videos it’s $249 total! Saxon 6/5 is less than $80 for the set, and an additional CD-Rom with lessons is $53.  That is a LOT less! I need to try to limit our expenses.

So, does anyone have experience using both?  Are the Dive videos any better than BJU? Is the Teachers Guide written for homeschool parents? OR do you have a compelling argument for sticking with BJU?

37 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

Can I ask why you think your daughter didn't learn anything with the DL?  Why haven't you had luck with the math DL?  I don't know anything about Saxon but have you considered CLE? I've heard it's spiral like Saxon but just more tolerable. No videos though.

Sure. I know she didn’t learn because she failed every test. When I would review with her, she acted like she had never been taught any of it. I know the videos taught the material because I was in the room listening while she was doing her lessons. I would work with younger dd while older dd did math. TBH, the teacher’s voice on the DLO was kind of whiny and monotone. I found her very annoying. It’s possible that was a problem for dd as well. I think she just tuned out the teacher. She does great when I’m teaching her, though. 

We have tried CLE. My dd did NOT like it. She didn’t like that they would stretch a lesson out for several pages sometimes. 

I am considering Saxon because it appears to be similar in format to BJU. I think the traditional math format works best with dd. I also like that there is an option for the video. I would like dd to transition to video lessons at some point. 

I like and use Saxon, buy I think the issue here was that your DD isn't ready to learn via DVD.  My kids dont!  The can watch other things on video, but not math.  I think you should switch back to teaching her yourself using whichever program you find easiest to teach with.  

With Sacon you do have several options for suppliments- Art Reed, Saxon Teacher, DIVE, as well as several websites and online places to find teachers.  

On 4/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, Another Lynn said:

I've never used BJU, but I don't think Saxon is similar.  One is incremental/spiral and one is mastery.  If you need cheaper, but still mastery, have you looked at Rod and Staff?  

I have considered Rod & Staff.  It just looks so dry and monotonous.  I am trying to figure out now if I can find the BJU Teacher's Guides used and just buy the student books (consumables) new. 

15 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Having done both, I can say some years of DLO are awesome and others (like 5th) are a nightmare! It all depends on who is doing the teaching. My advice is not to switch. 

Would you mind elaborating on which grades of BJU DL are a nightmare? We're moving along nicely with CLE but one of mine might benefit from something else...

Which grades/teachers do you not like, and why? It's a lot of money and I don't want to make a potential mistake!