Menu

What's with the ads?

seemesew

Kindergarten math recomendations

1 minute ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I don't know why I never noticed that before. I guess a lot don't post pictures here, so I had it in my mind that we couldn't. 

I've posted a few, and I was worried I was breaking some sort of rule I didn't know about! Glad we cleared this up, lol. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I think she was saying Rod and Staff (R&S) not rightstart. 🙂

Yes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, square_25 said:

I've posted a few, and I was worried I was breaking some sort of rule I didn't know about! Glad we cleared this up, lol. 

I may be a little slow. I've only been here ten plus years. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

I think she was saying Rod and Staff (R&S) not rightstart. 🙂

That makes more sense! Right Start is expensive so I wasn't sure why it fit, lol!

So I just found this book I can get both the teachers guide and student book used for $10 it is Making Math meaningful by cornerstone. How would this program be?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seemesew said:

That makes more sense! Right Start is expensive so I wasn't sure why it fit, lol!

So I just found this book I can get both the teachers guide and student book used for $10 it is Making Math meaningful by cornerstone. How would this program be?

It was very popular in the late 80s because it is a process math (uses manipulatives), and there was a time when if you were a real homeschooler, you had to do manipulatives, lol. I knew people who used it and loved it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ellie said:

It was very popular in the late 80s because it is a process math (uses manipulatives), and there was a time when if you were a real homeschooler, you had to do manipulatives, lol. I knew people who used it and loved it.

What did you think about it? Was it enough or too abstract or any of your thoughts on it?

9 minutes ago, seemesew said:

What did you think about it? Was it enough or too abstract or any of your thoughts on it?

We're not big on manipulatives. I read through a couple of levels and was just not interested.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, seemesew said:

I'd really like to use nothing but my older kids have been a struggle with math because I feel like we didn't stick with anything or have a specific plan and I don't want to repeat that mistake again. I really need a detailed list of what to accomplish, one with what to review and when would be a really nice touch!

I *do* understand what you are saying here, and I know the struggle.  I can't wing it in math very well, either.  After doing it 5 times now, I'm better at improvising in K-3 math, but I still want my TM's, thank you very much.  I'm too tired to make it *all* up.  😉

I truly do hope you can find something that works well for you, your K student, and your budget.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ellie said:

We're not big on manipulatives. I read through a couple of levels and was just not interested.

That's how I felt when I looked at mathusee. It's all anyone was using when I started homeschooling. I went to convention and looked at it, and was like this is not for me. 

Then I heard the angels singing when I walked over to the Rod and Staff booth and started looking at their math. 🙂

I do like a little manipulatives. Their little homemade ones are perfect. 

op, I do have cuisinaire rods and a book I've picked up along the way. I lived Preschool Math at Home by Kate Snow for hands on math game ideas to do with mine this past year, so I'll probably pick up her Addition Facts that Stick at some point. But I just get those from the library. I use counting bears when it seems appropriate, and just use the real click for telling time. So I throw the things in to supplement if I want to/slash when I have time. But Rod and Staff is enough. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

I'm not huge on manipulatives, either, and my daughter just finds them tedious. I love pictorial representations of things, though. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 11:58 PM, Ellie said:

Here's a boatload of PDF files of vintage math texts. Read through them until you find the one that you like. Print the pages off and start teaching. For free.

And read this. And this (part 2)

I am wondering..how do you suppose ..from the "and read this link" ..how do you suppose the children were taught? I think this all sounds so great! But then I feel like I am not giving a good enough education in things like geography and would like to do more.

10 minutes ago, Janeway said:

I am wondering..how do you suppose ..from the "and read this link" ..how do you suppose the children were taught? I think this all sounds so great! But then I feel like I am not giving a good enough education in things like geography and would like to do more.

Just musing my own thoughts based on this..

I think the man was a bit half-cracked. His logic was faulty to begin with.
" I picked them carefully, but more carefully than I picked the teachers, I selected the schools. Three of the four schoolhouses involved [two of the rooms were in the same building] were located in districts where not one parent in ten spoke English as his mother tongue. I sent home a notice to the parents and told them about the experiment that we were going to try, and asked any of them who objected to it to speak to me about it. I had no protests. Of course, I was fairly sure of this when I sent the notice out. "

I'm wondering if the parents even understood the written notice.

However, it seems like a lot of math was done orally with references to things the children actually had visual recollection of (a person, a room, a comparison between two objects) and an emphasis on visualization methods within leading discussion questions.  This was in stark contrast to a lot of what was available before the turn of the century, but not so remarkable when you look at all the various philosophies that were springing up at the same time.  To me it sounds like it is a rudimentary method that could be compared to Charlotte Mason but without the full structure.  There is a lot of emphasis on student involvement in the learning time, instead of being little cups to fill with knowledge. Recitation without understanding was no longer high on the list. 

• Like 2

Here is a vote for Horizons or Mathematical Reasoning from Critical Thinking Company.

• Like 1

*UPDATE*

I have decided to use The Good and The Beautiful math for K. Someone was kind enough to give me the activity box so I only need to buy the workbooks which makes it much more affordable. It is not an advanced curriculum it is right at grade level so we may start it this summer and move through it quicker. I have decided if I am not satisfied with it I will use Abeka workbooks and use my own manipulatives and wing the teaching portion.

I really appreciate all the advice and the recommendations!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, seemesew said:

*UPDATE*

I have decided to use The Good and The Beautiful math for K. Someone was kind enough to give me the activity box so I only need to buy the workbooks which makes it much more affordable. It is not an advanced curriculum it is right at grade level so we may start it this summer and move through it quicker. I have decided if I am not satisfied with it I will use Abeka workbooks and use my own manipulatives and wing the teaching portion.

I really appreciate all the advice and the recommendations!

Move been looking at this program for my little one. I need something new and different for kiddo number 6. This program looks fun and interesting. You’ll have to update us on how you like it. I’m thinking of getting it for August. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexi said:

Move been looking at this program for my little one. I need something new and different for kiddo number 6. This program looks fun and interesting. You’ll have to update us on how you like it. I’m thinking of getting it for August. 

I will! So far it looks really good and I think it will be fun for him :o) I'll probably buy the books in a few weeks so I'll try to update later this Summer :0)