Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
lynn

Post ear piercing care

Help me remember how to care for newly pierced ears.  was it  alcohol dabbed around the piercing or was it peroxide.  I can quite remember.  I do know that I don't want to buy claires $20 solution.  TIA

Are you getting the piercing done at Claire's? When my dd got her ears pierced there, a bottle of cleaning solution was included.

30 minutes ago, lynn said:

Help me remember how to care for newly pierced ears.  was it  alcohol dabbed around the piercing or was it peroxide.  I can quite remember.  I do know that I don't want to buy claires $20 solution.  TIA

Current recommendations are against alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Gentle soap and water and maybe saline rinses if I recall. And don’t spin the piercings like we used to be taught. 

My son just got his ears pierced.  He got a bottle of solution with it.  He should get several for the $80 it cost!  GRRR

My dd had hers done at a professional piercing/tattooing place and we were told to use saline and to not spin.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Acorn said:

My dd had hers done at a professional piercing/tattooing place and we were told to use saline and to not spin.

Same. Specifically told NOT to use alcohol or peroxide. We bought some saline spray at Walmart. 

My girls got their ears pierced at a mall jewelry store (not Claire's) in January. They were given a bottle of solution as part of the price. They were told to spin their earrings and not take them out for six weeks.

Well, when I got mine done a million years ago we used SeaBreeze. I feel certain that’s not what you should use anymore! (Do hey even make that still?) That smell will forever bring back vivid memories of ear piercings. 

Here's what the dermatology association says

https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/skin-care/caring-for-pierced-ears

One thing I wanted to say about turning them personally...

I remember with my second set, I turn them ALL the time....and about 2 weeks after piercing they hurt.  I finally pulled the backs off and pulled them out.  I had SO MUCH HAIR twisted up in them.  It was totally gross looking with all that hair and....pus....yeah.  Once I cleaned that off with alcohol and put them back, everything was fine, but I wonder if the twisting up of hair has something to do with the idea of not turning them.   

I believe no turning is so you’re not continually disrupting the healing process by ripping things apart when it’s trying to heal. 

My dd's got their ears pierced at a piercing salon.  They have us a small bag of pure sea salt, and instructed us to mix a dilute solution (1/2 tsp sea salt to 1 cup distilled water), then to soak the piercing with the warmed solution for several minutes, twice a day for several weeks, then once a day until completely healed.  The instructions are on the website: evolutionpiercing.com