Menu

Minecraft - built-in time limits?

shawthorne44

I am fairly anti-video games.  I am a geek and I've seen friends get lost in them.   That said, I remember my joy when for some reason my mother put the Atari console on her gift list.  That was an entirely positive experience.  I played often by myself, but sometimes with my parents.  I am an only child.  Later with PC Games, a few times I could feel myself becoming addicted and I'd have to go cold-turkey.  So, I guess I would really say that I am conflicted on video games. 

I'd said No to buying DD video games.  I didn't mind her playing them at friends houses because there isn't a chance of addiction that way.   But, DD has been watching those videos of people playing Minecraft.  I totally don't get it.  There is this set of videos where an adult man and woman are playing.  My husband watched some of them with her first and he said that they were very clean and there wasn't even innuendo in them, even when there was an obvious opening.  She has been watching them for awhile and giggling.  She has played this at friend's houses.  The other day she offered to buy Minecraft with her own money and even pay extra.  That took me aback and I told her I'd think about it. 

I think what I will do is to get it for our Home Theater PC.   That way she will be in the living room when she plays it and we will have an easy way of watching what is going on.   I would like to start it out with a built-in time limit.   Something built into the computer so that it isn't a source of strife between us.  

Honestly, I wouldn’t do it. It’s a huge time suck and so addicting. Not to mention the arguments over wanting more and more time. And then after Minecraft it will be a different game, there’s always another new one

If I could do it all over again I’d keep the Wii games/ Atari style only with no internet connection and never let them get into the online gaming action... ever.

My younger ones will not be going down that road. It caused so much damage in my oldest.

maybe not what you want to hear, sorry.

best of luck 

• Like 2

we use edge, and it has built in time limits for dudeling.   we can turn it off, turn it on, add time, etc.  (and I can do it from my PHONE!  so I don't even have to be home.)  so, he'll have zero computer access when it's running.  I like that I can set the time he can be on the computer too.

while he has figured out one way to get around it (only if the system is turned off), he doesn't have close to 1ds's computer abilities at that age. (and we are grateful.)  1ds, 2ds, and I all have access to his browser and can shut-off access at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

Edge, that sounds cool.   I like the phone part.   And that I can turn it off if we play as a family.   I don't know how that would work with Minecraft.      
I am not getting this if I can't have a time limit from the start.   I want that to be an integral part of the experience, rather than instituted later as punishment.  

Minecraft is fun and is one of the games DS plays. We also have an old Wii Fit and he and DS play Super Mario Kart together on occasion. I love Minecraft and DH, DS and I play together frequently. There's nothing objectional in it - I'm not sure how old your DD is, but DS was a bit afraid of some of the monsters when he first started playing. There is a game setting that you can switch on to make everyone friendly. DS used to call it "peace and quiet mode".

It's a great game to really get creative. There are so many fun things you can build and different biomes to explore. One part in the map has different colored terracotta blocks that you can glaze in a furnace to make really neat multicolored blocks. I have a whole world that has a village of brightly colored terracotta houses. 🙂 (yes, I'm a geek) 

• Like 1