Menu

Derek Owens Precaluclus Book Question

I already have 3 Precalculus textbooks. One of them is a newer version of what DO uses. Do I understand correctly that the assignments that are turned into DO are directly from him and the "in book" assignments are practice to be checked at home? We could practice from another text if we chose too?

Edited by MamaSprout

1 hour ago, Mbelle said:

My son is taking DO precalculus.  He doesn't have a textbook other than what DO makes.  They do the work right in that spiral bound workbook and the other homework is on the website.  

Actually, there is a separate text for the DO precalc course. Some of the other DO courses don't have one, but precalc does. It is Sullivan, 4th edition. The assigned problems to be completed from the textbook are listed in the student workbook. The student checks their own answers for the textbook problems; they aren't submitted for grading. Then there are also separate HW sheets to be printed from DO's website that ARE submitted for grading.

ETA: DO calls the textbook problems "practice problems". Perhaps some kids don't do them, but they are assigned as part of the course.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TarynB said:

Actually, there is a separate text for the DO precalc course. Some of the other DO courses don't have one, but precalc does. It is Sullivan, 4th edition. The assigned problems to be completed from the textbook are listed in the student workbook. The student checks their own answers for the textbook problems; they aren't submitted for grading. Then there are also separate HW sheets to be printed from DO's website that ARE submitted for grading.

ETA: DO calls the textbook problems "practice problems". Perhaps some kids don't do them, but they are assigned as part of the course.

I did not know this! LOL  We are almost done with the course and so far he hasn't needed the book.

7 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I already have 3 Precalculus textbooks. One of them is a newer version of what DO uses. Do I understand correctly that the assignments that are turned into DO are directly from him and the "in book" assignments are practice to be checked and home? We could practice from another text if we chose too?

I would just email him and ask him! He's quite responsive. There are practice problems that are just to reinforce the concepts and then there are homework problems that are from him--those are to be completed and turned it (via scan/email) for a grade. I'd think you could use the book you have to do the practice problems.

• Like 1

Unless he has changed it, the practice problems are assigned out of the textbook.  They are not handed in to DO. 

Given that the text DO uses is over 20 years old, I think he would do well to either eliminate the text as he has done for most of his other classes, or update his assignments to a new text.

(Also, as an aside, not doing at least some of the practice problems is probably not a good idea.  DO's HW sheets are really just quizzes.)

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

So I asked my son about the textbook.  He was handed one on the first day of class (we are local) and he's never opened it.  You can do extra practice problems if you want to, but he just does the ones in the spiral notebook that we ordered from the website.  So, he only uses the workbook and video's at home.  If he gets stuck he will email and ask for an extra video and that usually solves his questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

We own a new version of the textbook. My dd only does the textbook (odds) after watching the videos. We don't use his text or submit anything for grading. This is our 2nd time through taking this approach.

Thanks 8. Is she doing the note taking guides? I’m curious why you are using DO that way. Do you think that Derek Owens videos are better than others that are out there or do you like the Sullivan text? 

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

Thanks 8. Is she doing the note taking guides? I’m curious why you are using DO that way. Do you think that Derek Owens videos are better than others that are out there or do you like the Sullivan text? 

No.  She does not do the note taking guides.  We have zero contact with DO at all.  We pay $29/mo for access to the videos.  We do it this way b/c the videos line up with the text and he does a good job teaching the concepts. It is easy to grade with the SM.

I was wrong about the copyright date, though.  I have had the book for a few yrs and didn't purchase a specific edition.  But, when I looked, it is the 1996 edition, so it is over 20 yrs old! (but, I like the text and several of my kids have used it.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1