Menu

Signs of dog in pain / Anesthesia after effects UPDATE

Pegasus

My elderly dog (almost 15) had soft tissue surgery yesterday morning and we just brought him home.  His discharge instructions include giving him a medication for pain as needed.  They did not give him any this morning at the vet hospital.  He is not panting or shivering but seems "out of it" and not sure what to do with himself. He is normally "over the moon" happy to see me but was very low key when he saw me upon getting home.

So is he in pain or simply still feeling the after effects of the anesthesia.  I don't want under medicate the poor fellow but also don't want to keep him doped up if he is feeling ok.

Thanks.

Edited by Pegasus

Well, its gabapentin which I looked up and seems to be an odd choice for post-surgical pain. DH did give him a dose and the dog has been sleeping the past couple of hours.

Thanks for the info on the anesthesia. Maybe he will start feeling a bit perkier tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Well, its gabapentin which I looked up and seems to be an odd choice for post-surgical pain. DH did give him a dose and the dog has been sleeping the past couple of hours.

Thanks for the info on the anesthesia. Maybe he will start feeling a bit perkier tomorrow.

That one can make them feel sleepy. Signs of pain are slow moving and tense, panting, etc. Definitely make sure he's eating and drinking. 

Update on the old pup.  He's doing really well.  He is eating and drinking like normal and finally moving things out in the other direction (sorry!).  He is perkier and happier. . .unless we have the cone of shame on him, which he must have if we can't sit right by him and watch every move he makes to keep him from chewing out the stitches. Trying to give him time with Kongs and chew bones while he is being supervised so he can get some breaks from the cone.

Thanks, everyone!

• Like 3