Menu

Bju curriculum

My dd really wants to go to a hybrid next year. We have toured one that’s promising, but it’s almost an hour away. Driving her there twice a week isn’t horrible, but I’m afraid any friendships made there will be limited because of the distance, as far as hanging out socially. There is one five minutes from us, which we plan to tour tomorrow. My concern is that I identify as agnostic, and the hybrid is most definitely evangelical. They use BJU texts. At first glance, I’m really put off by the reviews...it seems very conservative, which we are not. I’m most worried about science and history. We believe in evolution and I do not want a white washed  history point of view. I wanted to know just how bad these subjects are, and what I should be prepared for. From my understanding, they use those as a jumping off point, but still, I am concerned. Has anyone used these texts in high school and would you be willing to give me any advice on what to look for or counter? I want her to be well prepared for college, which means a solid understanding of science and history. Thanks in advance!

We have used BJUP chemistry and I own BJUP biology. I think they are more solid than Apologia and other popular high school texts. If taught well, the science, at least, should prepare a student well for college level work.

That said, they are very evangelical. The material could be easily overlooked, but if a teacher wanted to harp on religious overtones, there’s a ton of fodder for that in the teacher’s manual and in at least one commentary per chapter.

i think perhaps a visitor’s day at the school would be most helpful?

I used the BJU Spanish 1 Book. The grammar instruction was solid, the cultural notes were very strange. They were all very evangelical, but even beyond that, it seemed that the book was written in the 50s and never updated. I used them as jumping off points to discuss how completely warped this book's view of Latin America was and how that probably fed into racism in the US. Luckily for us, the online class that used BJU switched to Avancemos before dd started with them in Spanish 2.

BJU US History is super sexist.  We're using it because it's more interesting than Abeka, but it is soooo sexist.  Examples:  In the twenties, divorce rates went up.  Why?  Women.  After World War II, divorce rates went up.  Why?  Women.  

And yesterday we read about the evils of rock and roll.  We just laugh, but I'm not sure how a classroom teacher would handle this stuff.