Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Noreen Claire

Portland, ME for a weekend, no kids

DH and I will be going to Portland, ME for a weekend getaway next month. I haven't been away from my children since my 2-night babymoon before DS10 was born. We will be staying in Old Port, driving in around 7pm Friday night and leaving after lunch on Sunday.

Are there any restaurants, museums, shops, or experiences that you can recommend? We are hoping for maybe a museum, a show of some kind, a bookstore, a yarn store, a nice walk or two, and lots of good food. Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

We just went in January.   We visited Allagash Brewery which was great. Dh drank their Allagash White all week, while I liked the Tripel best. Do the free tour; it’s great!  It’s not in old port, but was not far.  Our favorite restaurant was Gilbert’s.  It’s on the Main Street along the water in old port.  We ate there probably 3 times!   Also, we really liked Eventide.  It’s expensive (probably $115 for dh and i) but it’s good.  Their fried fish is wonderful!   Dh got the variety dozen oysters and really liked them.   We went to High Roller for lobster but the Whoopie pies were better!   Two Lights State Park was gorgeous!  Definitely go there!!    We loved Maine.   I keep house watching on Zillow...  I really want to move around Lewiston or that area.  It’s just beautiful up there. 

• Like 1

Bayside American Cafe - it used to be called Bintliff's and it is so good! The lobster benedict was amazing. Everything we ate there was delicious, really.  We have a friend who used to drive up, sleep in his car, eat there for breakfast and drive back to RI after eating. (we were never that nuts, but enjoy it whenever we're in town)

https://www.baysideamericancafe.com/

• Like 1

Portland is a foodie town—you almost can’t go wrong. All the breweries are terrific; truly all the local beer is fantastic. 

Knit Wit is my favorite yarn shop. They are up near Munjoy Hill. While there, I recommend going to the Observatory—you’ll get some history, and on a clear day you can see Mt Washington in New Hampshire. 

Seconding Longfellow books; it’s a Portland institution. 

Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth is a beautiful rocky place to soak up the sunshine and sea air (no sand). Nearby Fort Williams is home to Portland Head Light, the iconic lighthouse on all the Maine travel brochures.

All of Old Port is fun for shopping. Commercial Street runs along the working waterfront; check out the fishing boats and if the day is nice, take a ferry to Peaks Island and back. Old Port is small and very walkable. 

Have fun! 🙂

(also, May can be quite chilly here so don’t forget a decent coat and a hat)

• Like 1

Back Cove is a popular place to walk/run/cycle. I think it’s maybe 3 miles around the cove, mostly paved.

If you want to make it longer, there is a walking path from Commercial Street and along the eastern prom under Munjoy Hill that connects to Back Cove. You’ll see quite a bit of the city’s perimeter that way and be mostly along the water, with views of forts, islands and sailboats. 

• Like 1