Menu

What's with the ads?

Runningmom80

We got our results and diagnosis - would love curriculum recs

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

You would THINK the OTs would work on reflexes but don't get me spitting on the illogic of the profession. So the answer is whomever you can find to help you is who will do it, or do it yourself.

I found this which looks at least a little bit helpful. https://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.com/visual-motor-integration-activities.html

Thank you for all of your help! I appreciate it. I'm sure you will be so burned out but you'd be a great educational advocate at the end of your homeschool career. You will probably just want to retire to the beach! lol

Dysgraphia is not a cause, its an effect. The eval shows what needs to be done for the fix.  Penmanship  can be remediated any time if the neuro, vision, and muscular parts are there.  The spelling is going to take direct instruction-- the phonological awareness and orthography  plus whatever else the school evaluation determines. Multisensory is what helped us, the regular classroom was only written exercises which were difficult with the hearing loss and the bifocals.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1

Yeah, I saw that link. It's all kind of young and not what my ds needs and I can't put my finger on it.

I think the issue with VMI is you need to work on that eyes (visual) through the brain to the motor planning (hand). So like the OT wanted him to watch a video on shading with pointillism and do the dots on an apple. That kind of thing. eyes through brain to hand

Lane/RFWP has some books and I STILL have not gotten them in an organized, functional format for us. Or we're slackers. We're slackers. Anyways, his ideas were more creative. But I think wrap your brain around the concept and then you'll know if the task is at least addressing the issue.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

I'm pretty sure it's the same where I am, but I will double check. I'm in OH.

Ohio...a place friendly to gifted.  Do you have a school psych?  That person can help you with discrepencies such as the reading results you mentioned.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

Ohio...a place friendly to gifted.  Do you have a school psych?  That person can help you with discrepencies such as the reading results you mentioned.

Not really, we don't fund specifically for gifted at the state level anymore, it's up to the districts. ETA: I don't mean to be grumpy about it. The gifted situation at our particular school isn't stellar either. She hasn't qualified for it at this point anyways so it's a moot point.

Also, DD didn't IQ as gifted so I doubt they would do anything to help us on that front. 😞

Edited by Runningmom80

51 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, I saw that link. It's all kind of young and not what my ds needs and I can't put my finger on it.

I think the issue with VMI is you need to work on that eyes (visual) through the brain to the motor planning (hand). So like the OT wanted him to watch a video on shading with pointillism and do the dots on an apple. That kind of thing. eyes through brain to hand

Lane/RFWP has some books and I STILL have not gotten them in an organized, functional format for us. Or we're slackers. We're slackers. Anyways, his ideas were more creative. But I think wrap your brain around the concept and then you'll know if the task is at least addressing the issue.

Ok, so more sophisticated than that link. 

Lane/RFWP I need to check this out!

• Like 1

The first ps psych we used said they could look at discrepancy for SLDs. So higher IQ, achievement discrepancy, boom. He seemed to think that was the law, but I never looked it up. 

• Like 1

My attitude is basically:  what do they do well?  Check.  What is not getting done or not getting done well?  Okay — I need to try to make that happen.  

I daydreamed briefly about moving in with my in-laws for a summer to send my son to a Lindamood Bell center, but — it was so, so impractical.  That is the only impractical daydream I have really had, it is the closest I have had to some kind of “instant solution,” there has never been a conceivable way to go to a private school or tutor.  

I think these are great options where they work out, but if they don’t work out — I don’t feel much poignancy for them, I think a lot of things are time-consuming and effortful, but really can be done at home.  

This is me — I was happy with math, I was happy with social, and I was totally overhelmed with after-schooling and summer-schooling and could NOT imagine also having to do math, social studies, science, etc.  I had driving to speech therapy twice a week, and then driving to OT once a week.  These things alone just exhausted me.  I also have a younger child with special needs, so there is that.  But still!  

I think it comes across like you are feeling capable to handle all this, Runningmom, and if you are feeling capable to handle all this, I definitely think you can also do some OG home stuff.  Honestly.  Maybe you pick some priorities and whatnot, but — I think it may be seeming harder than it is, maybe.  

Not that I am saying it is easy — I am saying I bet it is very doable.  Hopefully it is.  And then if you find you need to kick it up a notch, you have time to figure that out.  

If you are starting working with her this summer then — you really might get a lot done.  It is really, really possible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I think it may be seeming harder than it is, maybe.

Yup

5 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I think it comes across like you are feeling capable to handle all this, Runningmom,

Definitely she is!! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lecka said:

My attitude is basically:  what do they do well?  Check.  What is not getting done or not getting done well?  Okay — I need to try to make that happen.  

I daydreamed briefly about moving in with my in-laws for a summer to send my son to a Lindamood Bell center, but — it was so, so impractical.  That is the only impractical daydream I have really had, it is the closest I have had to some kind of “instant solution,” there has never been a conceivable way to go to a private school or tutor.  

I think these are great options where they work out, but if they don’t work out — I don’t feel much poignancy for them, I think a lot of things are time-consuming and effortful, but really can be done at home.  

This is me — I was happy with math, I was happy with social, and I was totally overhelmed with after-schooling and summer-schooling and could NOT imagine also having to do math, social studies, science, etc.  I had driving to speech therapy twice a week, and then driving to OT once a week.  These things alone just exhausted me.  I also have a younger child with special needs, so there is that.  But still!  

I think it comes across like you are feeling capable to handle all this, Runningmom, and if you are feeling capable to handle all this, I definitely think you can also do some OG home stuff.  Honestly.  Maybe you pick some priorities and whatnot, but — I think it may be seeming harder than it is, maybe.  

Not that I am saying it is easy — I am saying I bet it is very doable.  Hopefully it is.  And then if you find you need to kick it up a notch, you have time to figure that out.  

If you are starting working with her this summer then — you really might get a lot done.  It is really, really possible.

Yes, thank you! I do think I can do it, or like I said, at least not mess her up more. It seems like a smart thing to work this summer and see where we get. I can always get a tutor if we feel like it's not gong to work with me as the only teacher. She's not a severe case and she is a hard worker so I don't think I will have too hard a time with her. Plus, there's always candy. 🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

The first ps psych we used said they could look at discrepancy for SLDs. So higher IQ, achievement discrepancy, boom. He seemed to think that was the law, but I never looked it up. 

We only have 1 SD as a discrepancy for most, her TOWS was 1.5 but, spelling isn't what they care much about. We'll see what they say. We have discrepancies within the achievement testing but I don't know that it counts for anything. 

Her IQ was "only" high average, very even for the most part besides high WM and low PS.  

• Like 1

Hey, if any of her paperwork actually says dyslexia, you can get your ped to sign off on the National Library Service... You could try even if the paperwork doesn't say it. But if it does, definitely do. Our ped did for us, and we're like fiends using it so much. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Hey, if any of her paperwork actually says dyslexia, you can get your ped to sign off on the National Library Service... You could try even if the paperwork doesn't say it. But if it does, definitely do. Our ped did for us, and we're like fiends using it so much. 

No, just dysgraphia and reduced phonological processing. 

Ok, this morning I talked with one of the tutors that the SLP recommended. She's a third grade teacher in a neighboring district and Wilson certified. She's tutored a lot of kids sent from the SLP. She's $10 more an hour than the dyslexia school, but, she will come to my house. That's a huge plus for me, I despise driving. 

So now I just have to decide if we want to go with her, or if we want to buy LiPS plus Barton or Wilson and do it ourselves. The tutor is only available in the summer so I would probably take over with Wilson in mid August.  My husband is more inclined to go for the tutor, not because he doesn't think I can do it, but more because he thinks it will be less stressful for me to let the tutor get her started and I can watch and learn from her. 

My concern with the tutor is, I'm not sure if she will do the phoneme stuff that LiPS has. She didn't mention it and I forgot to ask so that's one thing I have to check back on. 

I'm doing a Wilson intro course this summer for sure because I feel like it will help me through out DD's school years to understand how her brain works and how she learns best.

Moms who have BTDT, any opinions? The summer tutoring would run us ~$1400 for 2 hours a week. I'm trying to look at it from a value perspective. I'm not sure how fast DD would go through Barton, but I'm guessing not half way through in one summer. (Considering Barton is ~$3000.) Wilson would of course be much cheaper. The other consideration is I could work with her every day and possibly make more progress? Possibly not too I suppose because I’m new to this and the tutor has experience. I guess I lean more towards doing it myself. Good thing my husband usually lets me win. Ha! 

We did the OT evaluation yesterday. I didn't see anything glaringly fine motor, but there was a lot of glaringly dysgraphic things happening. I'm definitely not second guessing that part of the diagnosis! I won't find out how she did or what they are recommending until the parent meeting next month. 

She asked DH last night "Am I done with all the tests for my brain yet?" 😕

Edited by Runningmom80

1 hour ago, Runningmom80 said:

She's a third grade teacher in a neighboring district and Wilson certified. She's tutored a lot of kids sent from the SLP. She's $10 more an hour than the dyslexia school, but, she will come to my house.

I would take out a loan if you have to to make this happen. That is HUGE. 

The tutor is only available in the summer so I would probably take over with Wilson in mid August.

So then you bring her in every day this summer, maybe even twice a day. Tutors will have opinions on that and say oh no, not more than 1. But fine, 1-2 hours a day, every single day, banging it out. And while she's doing that, you go get the Wilson training, yes. And then in the fall you take over, definitely.

$1400 for 2 hours a week.

I'm missing the price per hour. Twice a week is not enough, not when you have a highly skilled person, an incredibly bright dc, and are behind. She should be doing 3-4 hours OR MORE. It's not completely more is more better, but more is better. So she would be $3-4k for the summer. I would do that. I get that it's a pinch, but I would do that because it's cheaper than enrolling in a dyslexia school, is positive, is convenient, is a definite thing she can get done.

Make the rest of her life really good. Like do nothing else as far as academics or sucky stuff and make her life the rest of the day AWESOME. Like horse riding or swim lessons or something, kwim? Cuz it might be a sucky hard, tiring thing, doing that intervention. It's why that psych was so adamant that parents not do the intervention, because unless you're an oblivious soul like me you're probably going to notice how hard it is. I would limit taking off too. I would just tell her this is gonna suck, we're gonna work hard, you'll be glad.

The reason the $3-4k on the tutor will be better than Barton is because it will be custom. But could you do it? In theory you can. I can tell you what's going to happen though. You won't need all the levels of Barton. You'd get through levels 1-2 really quickly, dig in for 3, and slog for 4. You could do all that maybe in a year if you work at a good clip. And by good clip that could mean 1-2 hours a day, maybe more. That's a whole school year. And then you'll get through 4 and be like this is boring, this doesn't fit, I don't want to be doing this, and you'll jump. Many people jump Barton after 4. The reading kicks in, it transfers more toward spelling, and they're like let me out of the chinese water torture... 

So the Wilson tutor is covering your butt on keeping it interesting and giving you time to get into the deep so you can meet her where she is. You can go either way, yes. You could make arguments either way. But if your dh is willing to pay, *I* would have him pay. And I would want 4 hours a week at least and not agree if he won't fund it at that.

She asked DH last night "Am I done with all the tests for my brain yet?"

Tell her she's so brilliant it takes extra tests for them to understand her! :biggrin:

That's what I do. I show ds people with dyslexia online and I'm like here's someone who's brilliant, here's someone who's brilliant, and oh btw they have a hard time reading too. And then I take him to meet an adult with autism and I'm like here's someone who's brilliant, and Einstein had hair like yours too. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I would take out a loan if you have to to make this happen. That is HUGE. 

So then you bring her in every day this summer, maybe even twice a day. Tutors will have opinions on that and say oh no, not more than 1. But fine, 1-2 hours a day, every single day, banging it out. And while she's doing that, you go get the Wilson training, yes. And then in the fall you take over, definitely.

I'm missing the price per hour. Twice a week is not enough, not when you have a highly skilled person, an incredibly bright dc, and are behind. She should be doing 3-4 hours OR MORE. It's not completely more is more better, but more is better. So she would be $3-4k for the summer. I would do that. I get that it's a pinch, but I would do that because it's cheaper than enrolling in a dyslexia school, is positive, is convenient, is a definite thing she can get done.

Make the rest of her life really good. Like do nothing else as far as academics or sucky stuff and make her life the rest of the day AWESOME. Like horse riding or swim lessons or something, kwim? Cuz it might be a sucky hard, tiring thing, doing that intervention. It's why that psych was so adamant that parents not do the intervention, because unless you're an oblivious soul like me you're probably going to notice how hard it is. I would limit taking off too. I would just tell her this is gonna suck, we're gonna work hard, you'll be glad.

The reason the $3-4k on the tutor will be better than Barton is because it will be custom. But could you do it? In theory you can. I can tell you what's going to happen though. You won't need all the levels of Barton. You'd get through levels 1-2 really quickly, dig in for 3, and slog for 4. You could do all that maybe in a year if you work at a good clip. And by good clip that could mean 1-2 hours a day, maybe more. That's a whole school year. And then you'll get through 4 and be like this is boring, this doesn't fit, I don't want to be doing this, and you'll jump. Many people jump Barton after 4. The reading kicks in, it transfers more toward spelling, and they're like let me out of the chinese water torture... 

So the Wilson tutor is covering your butt on keeping it interesting and giving you time to get into the deep so you can meet her where she is. You can go either way, yes. You could make arguments either way. But if your dh is willing to pay, *I* would have him pay. And I would want 4 hours a week at least and not agree if he won't fund it at that.

Tell her she's so brilliant it takes extra tests for them to understand her! :biggrin:

That's what I do. I show ds people with dyslexia online and I'm like here's someone who's brilliant, here's someone who's brilliant, and oh btw they have a hard time reading too. And then I take him to meet an adult with autism and I'm like here's someone who's brilliant, and Einstein had hair like yours too. 

Ok you’ve convinced me. She has other students so I’m not sure she can do 4 days a week but I think she could do 3. It’s $70 an hour, which seems reasonable.

• Like 1

Push. And ask for homework.

I'm sure you'll do this, but keep calling around. This training is common enough, you can get more names, more options.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

When I want a service, I try to show how serious I am. That way, when she has options, she goes no put this girl up to 4. Think about it. She can spread herself between lots of people or do more hours with less kids. She is making choices like that. So you go in and you say no, I really want 4, she's behind, she's super bright, she wants this and will focus and work hard... 

Or maybe you don't and you're sort of like we're on the mental health plan, let's do 2-3 a week, this is fine, we'll get there as long as we keep plowing... That's legit too! It's just what you want. My style is sort of stupid intense, but I think roll with your gut with what makes her life the way it will be healthy for her.

• Like 1

What could your schedule be this summer with her if you didn’t do tutoring?  Could you do much more than 2 hours a week?  

Is that a realistic amount, and cheaper than childcare for your other kids?

For one summer when we did a lot for us — we had an 80 minute block in the morning that was very solid, while my little kids watched 4 episodes of Dora or Diego.  We could have an uninterrupted time and be able to get done and go swimming in the afternoon (public pool opening at 1:00 for us).  

I have had in-home therapy and ime either my other kids need to be very, very occupied, or the therapist needs to desire or be open to having some games that include siblings.  Games that include siblings can be great if it isn’t going to be too obvious that it is easy for the siblings.  

I think, think about how much time would be “too much.”  80 minutes in retrospect was maybe too much.  If you are definitely homeschooling I think there is a lot less pressure to “take advantage of summer” and more freedom to slowly ramp up.  

I think there is a lot to be said for starting with less time and let the tutor work out any kinks, and then you transfer over with kinks worked out and you can gradually increase time if you want to.  

It is really important that your daughter like the tutor.  It really goes a long way.  

I think it does sound good.  

I would say though, are you pretty sure there will be no other therapy that might cost money?  You are expecting her not to need OT?  

I also — maybe this is just us — but it can be hard with home, that siblings can be like “oh what special thing is this?  I want in on it.”  And then you can’t really be like “oh it’s this reading thing” because that doesn’t send a good message to the child getting therapy.  It needs to seem special or desirable to that child.

And then for your other kids — if you do need/want to watch the tutor, here I would realistically be setting siblings up with a movie, but it would need to be a movie the kid getting tutoring would not care about.  Or if they get such-and-such time where I know I won’t get interrupted, then the child in therapy can’t be going “why don’t I have such-and-such time right now.”  

It all works out but think about your plans, and be ready to have some special things for the siblings, too.  

Unless your kids would not be jealous or interrupt you, and then — no concerns there!

• Like 1

I was on the more intense track during the summer, but knowing during the school year I could only get in 20 minutes (for sure) after school on weekdays.  That makes a big difference compared to getting unlimited time with homeschooling.  

Edited by Lecka

I think too I would only “count” time spent really working with intervention of some kind, but then in other times in the day there still would be read-alouds, and that is so beneficial, and it DOES count, even though it’s not working on intervention.  

• Like 1

Actually I think my kids are old enough now that we wouldn’t have any problems.  If your other kids are little kids then it might not be that easy to be in with the tutor, BUT they can be great for playing games.  

• Like 1

I also, at the time, thought I had to make “catch-up progress” “by age 7.”  

I do not think I was interpreting that idea properly.  I thought it was something you had to to and then there wouldn’t be any more issues whatsoever.

Now I think it means more “don’t put it off because you think it might be better to wait.”  

• Like 1

My other kids are 8 (her twin) and 12. They won't be an issue at all. Everyone understands that sister's brain works differently than theirs. (We talk about this with my oldest too) We talk a lot about neurodiversity (not in so many words) I really don't think they would be a problem. They can also keep themselves busy for an hour. If I had little kids I could see how it would be a problem. That's actually how my twins ended up in Montessori school for 3 years. 😂

I'm 99.9% sure we are homeschooling next year. I just don't see her thriving in the public school. They aren't going to remediate her, the tutor I talked to was like, "yeah, no, she's probably not getting any services from school."  Anyways, yes we will have lots of time during the school year to work on this stuff, and also nurture her strengths.

• Like 2

I think the tutor is an awesome idea. If she is able to do more than twice a week, I would jump on that, since the tutor is not available during the school year. If she can only do twice a week, I would still do it but would ask her for homework for the days off.

When my kids have had tutoring in my home, I let the tutor work in the dining room, and I took the other kids down to our basement and did some summer school work with them. So everyone was working on academics at the same time. If you plan to watch the tutoring sessions, that won't work for you, but I'm sure you will figure it out.

Did you ask if you can observe the tutoring? Sometimes it can change the dynamic, and tutors don't want parents to watch. If you can't watch, perhaps you can listen in from the next room. I would request for the tutor to reserve the last five minutes of the time to confer with you daily, so that you can be briefed on what they worked on and see what homework you should do.

I'm glad you figured out a plan! That reminds me that I need to check with DD's tutor to see if she is available this summer.

• Like 2

We had a point where ds wouldn't focus as well on the therapist if I was in the room, and at that point we switched to having me around the corner, in earshot. I could still hear everything going on to stay in the loop and know what to work on, but it wasn't distracting from his attention to the task and his compliance. Because the therapy was HARD, he had to be completely focused on the therapist, without any options for outs. I would suggest that you set up a workspace for her where she will have minimal distractions while she works with her tutor and be within earshot, though not directly present. It will keep you in the loop and be informative while allowing them to keep a really up-pace session. You'll also want your other kids completely removed so she can focus. It will be something to think through, because for that one hour they need complete focus.

Yes, I would anticipate she'll talk with you to wrap up the sessions each day.

If you are able to work it out with the tutor and are within earshot while they work, this is going to turn out to be immensely valuable training for you.

• Like 1

I think it could go either way.  The tutor can also demonstrate things if being right there is not working out.  But it could work out, too.  

• Like 1

Also my house is set up where I could be in ear shot with out being in the same room. She should be fine working with me in there but I understand how it could become a problem. (Or maybe the tutor prefers the parents to not hover/sit in on the session.)

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 2