Menu

How do you dress for college tours?

Janeway

I know I am being a total newb here..but....for the big preview type tours, I just wore whatever was comfy. But what if you are going to a smaller tour at a smaller school? As in, one you individually scheduled, but of course could have others on it, it is just it will be smaller? So people would notice your existence. Would you dress nicer? Or would you go with shorts and tops for a hot day?

We wore whatever was comfy, although tried to dress on the better side (no ripped jeans, holy t-s, short-shorts... etc.).  Most of our tours involve a LOT of walking, comfortable shoes and clothes were a must (plus, we went in the heat of the summer... lightweight clothing was also a must!).  I could see dressing differently if there were going to be interviews, smaller group, specialized tour or something (my kids did dress a bit more nicely when they were meeting with department chairs, or honors program advisers -- but we knew about those meetings in advance).

• Like 1

Comfortable for lots of walking. Jeans and T shirt are completely fine - unless you are talking scholarship interviews.

I lead all the tours for our department. Nobody will remember what you wore, unless it is outrageously inappropriate.

If it is hot outside, air conditioned buildings may be freezing inside. Bring a sweater.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

DD tends to wear conference t-shirts to college tours/fairs-if a biology department doesn’t comment on it or know what it is, she figures they aren’t a good place for her 🙂 (At her last one, the person she talked to will be presenting there this summer ).

• Like 1

If it is simply a campus tour, and not meeting with an admissions committee or some other specialized group, typical house school clothing, is fine.  In Texas, this will often include shorts and a T-shirt (and in some parts of Texas--shorts, t-shirt with cowboy boots are typical)

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

If it is simply a campus tour, and not meeting with an admissions committee or some other specialized group, typical house school clothing, is fine.  In Texas, this will often include shorts and a T-shirt (and in some parts of Texas--shorts, t-shirt with cowboy boots are typical)

We are going to TX next month for a campus visit but it will be an all-day visit personalized for dd.  I think she's meeting with a department head and someone from the honors college as well as the campus and residence hall tour, lunch in the dining hall, etc.  We were just going to wear comfortable clothes due to the heat but do you think she should dress up a little nicer?  

I would have your student dress in a way that they will be confident in their appearance.   What if you show up wearing shorts and t-shirts, but the school representatives are dressed business casual?   Would that make your student feel self-conscious?  Could you find something that is comfortable, lightweight for the heat, but still looks a bit more professional?   For my DS, that usually involves khaki pants, a short sleeved button down shirt, and shoes that are a bit nicer than sneakers but still comfortable for walking.

When we've taken just general campus tours, we wear whatever's comfortable and heat-appropriate (we live in FL).   But when we are meeting with someone specifically, or it's a more specialized visit, we dress a little nicer.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kassia said:

We are going to TX next month for a campus visit but it will be an all-day visit personalized for dd.  I think she's meeting with a department head and someone from the honors college as well as the campus and residence hall tour, lunch in the dining hall, etc.  We were just going to wear comfortable clothes due to the heat but do you think she should dress up a little nicer?  

Comfortable is fine. I just asked our department chair (who is sitting across the breakfast table from me) - he would notice if the attire were completely out of the ordinary (evening gown or suit), but beyond, what the prospective students wear does not register at all.

The bar hangs high. The visiting students who wore Spock ears was memorable.

Edited by regentrude
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

On 4/23/2019 at 2:47 PM, Kassia said:

Comfortable, practical clothing will be fine.  Given that it will likely be summer break when you are visiting, you will probably find that the staff on campus will even be more casual than during the regular semester.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just tried to look a little more  "put together".  Like cardigan, solid top, real pants/decent jeans or khaki shorts and polo vs. hoodies, graphic t-shirts, athletic pants/shorts.  

Good walking shoes are a must though!  I heard plenty of people complaining in their heels or flip flops trying to keep up with a tour guide.  LOL.

ETA - this reminds of our most recent revisit that included a tour.  One young man was wearing a hoodie covered with silhouettes of naked females like you see on the mudflaps of trucks occasionally including one large one front and center on the hoodie.  Klassy 🙄🤣  And he was with his mother!?  What the!?  This was on a campus where I think some young woman would express their opinion on that garment in short order.  LOL.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1