Menu

What's with the ads?

Janeway

How do you dress for college tours?

I know I am being a total newb here..but....for the big preview type tours, I just wore whatever was comfy. But what if you are going to a smaller tour at a smaller school? As in, one you individually scheduled, but of course could have others on it, it is just it will be smaller? So people would notice your existence. Would you dress nicer? Or would you go with shorts and tops for a hot day?

We wore whatever was comfy, although tried to dress on the better side (no ripped jeans, holy t-s, short-shorts... etc.).  Most of our tours involve a LOT of walking, comfortable shoes and clothes were a must (plus, we went in the heat of the summer... lightweight clothing was also a must!).  I could see dressing differently if there were going to be interviews, smaller group, specialized tour or something (my kids did dress a bit more nicely when they were meeting with department chairs, or honors program advisers -- but we knew about those meetings in advance).

• Like 1

Comfortable for lots of walking. Jeans and T shirt are completely fine - unless you are talking scholarship interviews.

I lead all the tours for our department. Nobody will remember what you wore, unless it is outrageously inappropriate.

If it is hot outside, air conditioned buildings may be freezing inside. Bring a sweater.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

jeans or shorts are fine. The one or two times DS was wearing khakis and a button up shirt because the tour was after an interview, he felt conspicuously overdressed.