Menu

Drawing resources for artistic kids

Sarah0000

My 4yo spends several hours a day drawing. He use to do step by step drawing books like Ed Emberly or Draw Write Now but he's over that. He's done Art for Kids Hub the past year, but again is over that. Lately he's been searching for random drawing videos on you tube and practices whatever he sees, and I've seen great improvement with that but I don't like him to have so much screen time.

Recently he's asked to be taken to various natural landscapes to draw which we've done but can't do every day. He seems to prefer drawing characters anyway. He draws the same figure in different poses, at different distances, with different emotions. He experiments with 3d, shading, profile.

I have started Draw Write Now with him but he could use something independent to fill all those hours each day. He's a fluent reader. So what's out there that may provide some inspiration and some technique but isn't the basic step by step line drawing? Or even books of drawings that would appeal to a youngster even if it isn't instructional?

I used to just regularly hit up the library arts and crafts children's sections. I have no suggestions because we found all kinds of things. We got into collage for awhile with a couple books for instance. It opened our minds to something my artistic child hadn't even considered by me just taking home random books and we ended up learning quite a bit about the topic and using it in hands on. 

I never knew which drawing books would inspire her, so we got a lot. 

Has he done any of the Draw Squad/Mark Kistler videos or books? Once upon a time we had a subscription to his website and his old tv shows. They were wonderful and are more than just step by step drawing lessons. He touches on shadowing, foreshortening and all kinds of other drawing concepts in a fun way. The Draw Squad book is a great reference to have but not as fun as the shows imo. You might be able to find the books or videos at the library.

Draw Squad website

Mark Kistler's Website

ETA: In looking for more information, I realized that Draw Squad was the book and the really old PBS show. The Imagination Station was the show that my older kids watched and we had a subscription to on his site. All are by Mark Kistler though. I guess he also made a reboot show in 2009 but I haven't seen it.

ETA one more time: I just found he entire first season of The Imagination Station on Amazon Prime Video

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1

I would do Mark Kistler, but if it doesn't float your boat check out virtual instructor which is not for your child's age group but it's totes fab.

The big yellow drawing book would be a fun side project.

Edited by Slache

Thanks everyone!

I requested a bunch of stuff from the library, including a few Mark Kistler books and a DVD lessons course. And I do have Amazon Prime Video so I'll definitely show him the Imagination Station series!

I also just learned that my retired MIL has started drawing so maybe she'll do something with DS. At least talk and show together.

• Like 1