Jump to content

Menu

What's on your menu for Easter Dessert?


Recommended Posts

I like baking and I love a good dessert. We've all been off sweets for Lent, which is a really good, healthy thing for us to do. I would like to stay at a lower level of sweets consumption (we had a bad ice cream every night habit). I know from past years that our tolerance for sweets is lower right now--if I make a cake, we'll all eat one piece and be done. And I really don't want a lot of leftovers. I do tend to like lemon around Easter and have done lemon cakes before. Mud pie sounds good. Could do brownies and ice cream. Maybe just snickerdoodles? Maybe just ice cream. Anyway, if you already know what you're doing for Easter dessert, share ideas here! The rest of the menu will be grilled tri-tip steak, green salad, maybe an orzo pasta side.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been invited to Easter dinner. If it is traditional, they will probably serve knaffe for dessert. It is made different ways, but probably we will have the kind that is like white, mild cheese topped with sugar syrup soaked shredded wheat.  

Normally we have pie. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We always go to my Mom's...so I can cook for them. 🙂 I wasn't sure what I was making, until I saw this today.  It's a strawberry meringue roulade.  I think it will be perfect. 🙂

 

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/strawberrymeringuero_74824

 

I also saw a lemon curd pavlova that sounds delicious.  I love pavlova. 

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/easter_lemon_pavlova_99601

 

If not clear...I love meringue. 🙂

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I am doing a lemon-blueberry cake this year.  It's such a nice, light flavor and blueberries are sitting in my freezer right now from the last sale.  I won't be putting fresh ones as decorations, though.  Maybe I'll do a candied lemon peel on top instead.

That looks yummy! I have a similar recipe from Southern Living that I haven't made in ages. Need to look for an excuse to make it this spring! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has derailed my desert planning!  

 

Here's my meal plan:

lemon chicken thighs

creamed peas

sweet potatoes (probably mashed, but maybe roasted?)

sauteed gnocchi with herbs and parmesan

 

My new dessert plan, based on this thread is:

lemon blueberry cake (I will be attempting a GF version)

strawberry rhubarb cobbler (also GF)

 

My original dessert plan involved chocolate, but we'll have enough chocolate eggs running around to munch on.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ds’ gf is making funfetti sugar cookies cut in shape of carrots and bunnies and decorated.  I think that’s the only dessert we’ll have unless she wants to do something else.  We’re having Popeye’s chicken.  We also did that for Christmas (day before) so apparently Popeyes is going to be our holiday go-to.  I get super stressed thinking about a lot of people in my small house and cooking much of anything except maybe a crockpot side just isn’t happening anymore.  9 people in 1150 sqft doesn’t sound like a good time to me, unless it’s someone else’s house, lol. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, umsami said:

We always go to my Mom's...so I can cook for them. 🙂 I wasn't sure what I was making, until I saw this today.  It's a strawberry meringue roulade.  I think it will be perfect. 🙂

 

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/strawberrymeringuero_74824

 

I also saw a lemon curd pavlova that sounds delicious.  I love pavlova. 

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/easter_lemon_pavlova_99601

 

If not clear...I love meringue. 🙂

 

Those both look delicious! I have never done anything with meringue, so fill me in! Can I make these ahead of time or should I plan to make them the same day?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Those both look delicious! I have never done anything with meringue, so fill me in! Can I make these ahead of time or should I plan to make them the same day?

I've never made the roulade before....so I'm not sure.  I think you can make the base the day before and fill it the day of.  So you would make it.....roll it once (for the shape...that's what they do on GBBO)...and then I'd probably do plastic wrap like I do with a pavlova.  Not sure if you're supposed to wrap it rolled with no filling or not  I'm guessing yes? (Rolled?)  Easter day....I'd add the cream/strawberries and roll it up.

For Pavlova...you can totally make the shell bit the day before (or even a few days before).....wrap it in plastic wrap....and then add the cream and lemon curd/fruit/whatever on the day you serve it.

Edited by umsami
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 15, 2019 at 10:15 AM, MaBelle said:

Ham, corn casserole, green beans, scalloped potatoes, polish salad, some type of cake and rolls.  

Ok, what's polish salad? I like everything else on your list, so I probably need to try this. :biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 15, 2019 at 12:00 PM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This thread has derailed my desert planning!  

 

Here's my meal plan:

lemon chicken thighs

creamed peas

sweet potatoes (probably mashed, but maybe roasted?)

sauteed gnocchi with herbs and parmesan

 

My new dessert plan, based on this thread is:

lemon blueberry cake (I will be attempting a GF version)

strawberry rhubarb cobbler (also GF)

 

My original dessert plan involved chocolate, but we'll have enough chocolate eggs running around to munch on.  

 

Mmm, your menu sounds delish! Any particular recipe on the lemon chicken and the sauteed gnocchi? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Mmm, your menu sounds delish! Any particular recipe on the lemon chicken and the sauteed gnocchi? 

 

For the lemon chicken, I use the Simply Recipes one.

For the gnocchi, I'm using store-bought GF gnocchi, and I'll sautée them in a pan with some butter with some chopped fresh thyme and parsley, then sprinkle on some parmesan once most of them have browned a bit and are heated through.  They would also be good sauteed in the dripping from the chicken.... hmmmmm...  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, umsami said:

I've never made the roulade before....so I'm not sure.  I think you can make the base the day before and fill it the day of.  So you would make it.....roll it once (for the shape...that's what they do on GBBO)...and then I'd probably do plastic wrap like I do with a pavlova.  Not sure if you're supposed to wrap it rolled with no filling or not  I'm guessing yes? (Rolled?)  Easter day....I'd add the cream/strawberries and roll it up.

For Pavlova...you can totally make the shell bit the day before (or even a few days before).....wrap it in plastic wrap....and then add the cream and lemon curd/fruit/whatever on the day you serve it.

 

I made the roulade last night. It was absolutely delicious, but I would not make the meringue the night before, nor would I pre-roll it the way you do with a cake-based roulade. It's much softer. And delicious. Did I mention delicious?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

we always have strawberry shortcake plus something else.

Carrot cake, cheesecake (an unbaked light kind), hummingbird bars have been most popular. One Person is constantly lobbying for Peanut Butter Pie, no matter what the occasion. So sometimes that.

I might make that Italian Love Cake i posted about earlier in winter. It is still winter here. It snowed a couple days ago but I think I heard it is going to get warm. Soon. Maybe July. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We stopped by a local bakery, and DD got their special of the week....carrot cake cheesecake.  Basically there was a layer of carrot cake, a layer of cheesecake, and then cream cheese frosting on top.  She said it was the best dessert ever.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, umsami said:

We stopped by a local bakery, and DD got their special of the week....carrot cake cheesecake.  Basically there was a layer of carrot cake, a layer of cheesecake, and then cream cheese frosting on top.  She said it was the best dessert ever.  

this girl has a few "cheesecake cakes" including carrot cake cheesecake.

https://www.shugarysweets.com/carrot-cake-cheesecake-cake/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided on Mud Pie for dessert--easy and I don't have a lot of time today. This is just a store-bought oreo pie crust, coffee ice cream, chocolate sauce, cool whip, then put in the freezer.

I also need to bring something in the bread/pastry category to the church Easter breakfast tomorrow, so I'm researching lemon-blueberry muffin/bread recipes for that and trying to find my petite pain au chocolate recipe that I can make with just puff pastry and Trader Joe's dark chocolate candy bars.

Thanks for the great ideas--June is our awesome strawberry time here in Oregon, so I may try some of the strawberry ideas then!

ETA: Petits Pains Au Chocolat recipe--Epicurious: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/petits-pains-au-chocolat-109374

Edited by Ali in OR
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I have made a strawberry cake, because it is a very pretty pink and looks like spring. And is also delicious. It is very similar (maybe identical) to https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/lizzies-strawberry-cupcakes-recipe-2102437

This year I am making a chocolate chip cookie pie. https://www.melskitchencafe.com/chocolate-chip-cookie-pie/

 

For the rest of the meal, we are having beef tenderloin, gruyere au gratin potatoes, salad, and rolls. If we were having company, I would be more creative with some of the side dishes, but it will just be my husband and kids this year. The beef tenderloin was in my freezer, and I decided it was a good time to use it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am totally going for the easy, low-stress approach this year:  ham, green beans, boiled or roasted small potatoes, and a green salad.  Also rolls from a local bakery.  For dessert, I am making a strawberry trifle, which I have never made before.  I have vanilla ice cream in the fridge in case it doesn’t turn out well for some reason!!

 

Anne

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure what it’s called because I saw it in a magazine years ago and remembered it.  I suppose Cheesecake Pudding is a good name.  You make a base crust of sugar cookie dough (the roll out kind) and bake it in a cake tin.  Then you mix up pudding, pour it in the baked crust and let it set I. The fridge for many hours.  Top with whipped cream and dig in!

i will  try to come back and post a pic when it’s done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is probably too late to be useful today, but for the future ...

We're doing a very casual dinner with friends, and I'm making blueberry pie bites https://www.sugardishme.com/blueberry-pie-bites/. I use Trader Joe's frozen pie crust, and while the bites take a little time to cut and shape, they're not difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...