Menu

What's your favorite non sedating OTC antihistamine?

1GirlTwinBoys

Zyrtec definitely causes some drowsiness.  Allegra seems to be the most non-drowsy.  Zyzal (that's how you say it - there are some Xs in there somewhere) is what I find works best.  Since my allergies are mild in spring and nasty in the fall, I do allegra in spring, switching to zyrtec when that quits working, and then move on to the zyzal for fall.  Then I'm able to take a break from all of that in the winter.  

Zyrtec makes me sleepy, but works really well for me. It makes my daughter a basket case of tears. 

Claritin does nothing for my allergies, but doesn't make me sleepy. Still, doesn't work. 

Nasal sprays take a few days to a week, but work. 

Sudafed decongestant (the kind behind the pharmacy counter) works for the sinus and ear fullness. 

I have bipolar and for some reason Allegra causes extreme mania. Not sure why but that makes it a no go. Claratin doesn't work at all. Zyrtek works best for me. It doesn't cause any drowsiness but I can take 2 Benedryl every six hours without any drowsiness, so obviously these effect me differently.

I love Allegra. Claritin can work too. Zyrtec just makes me groggy and does nothing for the problem.

I agree about sudafed--the real stuff is great. If it's mostly pressure and fullness, it can sometimes help. Sometimes sinus rinses can too even if you think you don't have congestion. 

I take Allegra and Nasacort nasal spray twice a day.  I've used Claritin in the past but it doesn't work for me and Zyrtec makes me lethargic so I avoid it.  I've also found that Tylenol Sinus works well.  Sudafed us helpful for ears  and I've added that as well.  I'm pretty much allergic to everything so take a lot of things depending on the time of year.  I hope you find what works for you.   All my kids take Zyrtec and say it doesn't make them tired at all and they prefer it to any of the others.

Ranitidine (Zantac)-it’s an H2 blocker, so works as an antihistamine. It seems to make other antihistamines work better than either by itself, which lets a lower dose be effective (and lower dose means lower doze). My allergist is the one who prescribed the combo. It’s not recommended for constant use except as a prescription, but to get through the Spring Pollening is worth a try.

If you are on meds for thyroid or blood pressure, the real Sudafed can raise heart rate and blood pressure pretty dramatically and is best avoided. 

Zyrtec. However, I like flonase, which is a glutocorticoid rather than an antihistamine, even better for daily maintenance of allergy symptoms. I took zyrtec daily for a long time, but now I take flonase, and only take zyrtec when I'm going to be outdoors at a high pollen time of year or someone's home with a lot of pets.

My DH, whose allergies are much worse than mine, uses both Flonase and Zyrtec daily, and good old Benadryl when he has a reaction that breaks through those.

If I take Zyrtec, I commit to it for a while.  The first day or two I get that drowsy/brain fog feeling, but then I even out and it works great.  

Mostly though, I prefer Alavert.  I take it when seasonal allergies are bothersome and I also take it when I have contact with an allergen that I react to.  It dissolves on the tongue instantly and has a pleasant taste- works so much faster than a Benadryl AND I don't get knock out drowsy from taking it. 

With the ear fullness and the pressure behind your eyes.  This is a strong indication that the issue is with your Sphenoid Sinus.  Which is located about 2 inches behind the eyes.
Though with no sneezing or runny nose?
This rather indicates that their is a blockage. Which could be a polyp?
With the blockage, this would cause swelling, and quite possibly inflammation.

Though if your Sphenoid Sinus is causing the problems?  Then it really needs to be identified, and treated.  As 'swelling' of the Sphenoid Sinus, can result in serious complications.
As it located close to a number of Cranial Nerves.  Also something called the Cavernous Sinus, which is an important part of the brains blood flow.
It would be well worth getting a CT Scan, which will identify the affected sinus/es.