Menu

Quick Tax Question (about part-time teen worker)

I think ds should NOT have to file a 2018 return.  I have gone through a little quiz-type exercise on the IRS website, and it said he doesn't need to file, but I want to confirm with Hive members who are in-the-know.

He only had $1056 in earnings on which he paid SS and Medicare tax, but he had zero federal withholding.  Dh and I claim him as a dependent and he didn't have any unearned income.

Is there any reason for him to file a return?

The Standard Deduction is for single or married filing separately is $12,000 for 2018.  

48 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My part-time employed teen dependent filed 1040 EZ. It took us five minutes. She’s getting a refund. 

FYI... irs.gov says there isn't a 1040 EZ anymore.  In its place, they offer the new, redesigned 1040.  (New and improved!)

5 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

The Standard Deduction is for single or married filing separately is $12,000 for 2018.  

FYI... irs.gov says there isn't a 1040 EZ anymore.  In its place, they offer the new, redesigned 1040.  (New and improved!)

That’s weird. The 1040EZ is what I thought we chose yesterday on TurboTax. I filed away our copies though so I can’t check easily. 

• Like 1

NO. He does not have to file. I worked as a tax preparer this season...

Filing Requirements for Dependent Children:

If unearned income is over $1,050.

If earned income is over $12,000.

If gross income is more than the larger of:

a. $1,050 or

b. earned income (up to $11,650) plus $350.... so max $12,000

• Like 1

No need to file.  My 22 yo daughter had to file because of working as a 1099 in two jobs  (neither of which should be 1099 jobs but especially the first one- which was retail sale, not commission. ) She only filed to pay her SS and Medicare tax. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That’s weird. The 1040EZ is what I thought we chose yesterday on TurboTax. I filed away our copies though so I can’t check easily. 

Quoting myself to say that we checked on the "free" designation on TurboTax.  I thought that meant the 1040EZ but I guess that I was wrong. 

• Like 1