Menu

unschoolportfolio.com?

I can't say I like the lack of information about it on the website.  I think if I wanted to people to use my service, I'd be sure to show what a day and week looked like, and what is produced by the end of the year.

It's free, but I think I'll stick with our own free system.  It swayed me by offered many screen shots to see how it was all going to work.

HomeAgain, 

Thanks for your reply! I have been trying to compare a bit between SkedTrack and Unschool Portfolio, so I appreciate that you have experience with SkedTrack! I agree, I don't particularly like how vague the UP website is.

We aren't completely unschoolers, but we do take frequent "delight-directed" rabbit trails and opportunities. Do you feel like it is easy to enter those random, one-off events into SkedTrack? That is the one thing that draws me in with the UP idea - that it's actually created for people who want to log things that don't fit neatly into the lesson plan.  I'm thinking I might try out SkedTrack and see how it goes for those things. Would love to hear more about what you like/don't like about SkedTrack.

54 minutes ago, myanmom said:

HomeAgain, 

Thanks for your reply! I have been trying to compare a bit between SkedTrack and Unschool Portfolio, so I appreciate that you have experience with SkedTrack! I agree, I don't particularly like how vague the UP website is.

We aren't completely unschoolers, but we do take frequent "delight-directed" rabbit trails and opportunities. Do you feel like it is easy to enter those random, one-off events into SkedTrack? That is the one thing that draws me in with the UP idea - that it's actually created for people who want to log things that don't fit neatly into the lesson plan.  I'm thinking I might try out SkedTrack and see how it goes for those things. Would love to hear more about what you like/don't like about SkedTrack.

I create general subject headings: English, math, etc.  From there I can put in whatever he does that fits in those categories and mark how long each took him, checking it off.  I think it works pretty well.  It doesn't require us to follow a curriculum.  The special things that don't exactly fit are labeled as field trips or put in the hobby log.  And for things that cross subjects, I put it in both but write down what he did.  For example, one of the lessons I have planned out includes a reading from SOTW (history), but it has a cumulative addition/multiplication activity (math).  I'll write down the specifics for each in their respective categories. 

The things that annoy me are minor.  I always forget exactly how to set up a new school year and where the field trip heading is. 😄  And I wish it would allow me to put in multiple assignments on a single day, single subject.  Like, I want the ability to grade a short quiz AND write that he read something else for the same subject without it looking like that's graded, too.  Especially since if I choose to grade, quizzes and daily work wouldn't have the same weight.