Menu

All Day Crock Pot Recipes

domestic_engineer

I'm looking for some new crockpot recipes for those days when I'll be out of the house for 10 hours straight.

So far we've tried

• Cowboy Beans or Ham 'n' Beans
  •  Black Bean Soup (using a timer to delay the start of cooking as there's nothing that needs refrigeration), 
  • Pork Shoulder to make Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Can you help me with some ideas, please?

ETA:  another recipe:  "Baked Potatoes" (using a timer to delay the start of cooking)

Edited by domestic_engineer
  • Like 1

An easy one that we use quite often is to put chicken breasts, a stick of butter and a package of onion dip/soup mix in the crock pot.  Chicken can be frozen.  Cook all day on low (I usually add some broth if the chicken is not frozen to keep it from drying out).  Shred for sandwiches.  We use leftovers for chicken and noodles, or chicken pot pie, or tacos.  

• Thanks 1

Pot Roast seems to work okay on low for 10 hours for me. I generally use 3.5-4 pounds of meat. 

Does your crock pot have an automatic setting where it switches to warm when the cooking time is done?  Mine does, although the warm setting is pretty hot. That might be an option if you have an eight hour cooking time.  

Pork chops with bones need about eight hours in my crock pot. Without bones, they cook much faster. So maybe you could adapt the recipe above by using bone-in chops? 

I have had zero success with long cooking times involving chicken. Every time it gets overcooked. I have even butterflied and pieced a turkey and cooked that in the crockpot and the dark meat is done after five hours on low.  My crock pot runs really hot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Pot Roast seems to work okay on low for 10 hours for me. I generally use 3.5-4 pounds of meat. 

Does your crock pot have an automatic setting where it switches to warm when the cooking time is done?  Mine does, although the warm setting is pretty hot. That might be an option if you have an eight hour cooking time.  

Pork chops with bones need about eight hours in my crock pot. Without bones, they cook much faster. So maybe you could adapt the recipe above by using bone-in chops? 

I have had zero success with long cooking times involving chicken. Every time it gets overcooked. I have even butterflied and pieced a turkey and cooked that in the crockpot and the dark meat is done after five hours on low.  My crock pot runs really hot. 

I have the same issue! The warm setting on my crockpot keeps things boiling. I can’t leave mine all day, really, unless it’s something dense and tough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Carnitas from the damn delicious website linked above. I could eat those every day for a week!

Also red beans to serve over rice. 

@Seasider too Is this the carnitas recipe you're talking about?  https://damndelicious.net/2014/10/10/slow-cooker-pork-carnitas/

Apparently there are two websites with the words damn and delicious in it. 😄. I was only familiar with this *.net one before this thread.

Edited by domestic_engineer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

More often these days I cook something overnight for 6-7 hours instead of the 8-9 hours during the day that I’m away at work. 

That's a great idea!  I was just coming around to the idea that a 10-hr period may require a "heat up leftovers" game plan rather than "walking in to a hot meal."  Thanks for challenging me to think outside of the box!

I recently had to replace my old trusty crockpot with a new one and the crock insert is significantly lighter and slimmer. I wonder if that's a big reason they are cooking hotter these days. They are making cheap-y crocks! 

I kept my old crock since it was fine (it was the electric appliance part that failed) and I'm contemplating trying it in my new crockpot to test my theory. 

I don't have any 10 hour recipes to contribute other than what was already suggested but I am stealing a couple of these recipes for myself! 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

I recently had to replace my old trusty crockpot with a new one and the crock insert is significantly lighter and slimmer. I wonder if that's a big reason they are cooking hotter these days. They are making cheap-y crocks! 

I kept my old crock since it was fine (it was the electric appliance part that failed) and I'm contemplating trying it in my new crockpot to test my theory. 

I don't have any 10 hour recipes to contribute other than what was already suggested but I am stealing a couple of these recipes for myself! 🤣

If your theory holds true, you might check thrift stores & goodwill for older, thicker inserts.  I've seen them more than once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Yep this is the one I like. The citrus juices, yum. 

I was very sad when my 20 year old crock pot died - it had a true low cook setting - high enough to be food safe but never a boil on low setting. I tried a couple and returned them when that one died, because they boiled on low. I have a Rival brand now, it cooks faster than the old one but it’s not too bad. More often these days I cook something overnight for 6-7 hours instead of the 8-9 hours during the day that I’m away at work. 

When I've tried to cook overnight, the smell kept us awake.  I don't know if we're just super sensitive or what. Of course, that was long before we had children, so we're much tireder now, so maybe I should try it again.  😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

When I've tried to cook overnight, the smell kept us awake.  I don't know if we're just super sensitive or what. Of course, that was long before we had children, so we're much tireder now, so maybe I should try it again.  😋

I cook overnight in my garage. The smell wakes me up too. My MIL does too, and is the one that gave me the brilliant idea! The smell would wake her up, so that was her solution. It works great! Cook overnight in the garage, bring in the house in the morning and put on low or warm til needed. Obviously it’s not brilliant if you don’t have a garage. 😂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

When I make stock, I usually let the crock pot run overnight. We adopted a dog in December and the last time I make stock I think the smell drove him nuts. Poor puppy.  

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one that smells the food when it cooks overnight. When we stay with my parents for holidays, my mom always cooks a roast or something overnight. I always wake up in the night, smelling it, but my parents don't!  It leads to me having some weird food dreams, too!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I cook overnight in my garage. The smell wakes me up too. My MIL does too, and is the one that gave me the brilliant idea! The smell would wake her up, so that was her solution. It works great! Cook overnight in the garage, bring in the house in the morning and put on low or warm til needed. Obviously it’s not brilliant if you don’t have a garage. 😂

No garage here.  The wild critters would enjoy the food, no doubt.  🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that smells the food when it cooks overnight. When we stay with my parents for holidays, my mom always cooks a roast or something overnight. I always wake up in the night, smelling it, but my parents don't!  It leads to me having some weird food dreams, too!

Yes! Roast! It’s the one thing my MiL and I both cook overnight and both would wake up grossed out by the midnight smell! I’m very sensitive to smells and sometimes even wake up if one of my dogs lets out a particularly strong toot. 😂