Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

dmmetler

Does anyone know anything about Miami University?

Recommended Posts

(The one in Ohio). DD spent quite awhile talking to their admissions rep at a college fair, and they actually have her cognitive science major available, as well as an animal science program. Merit aid looks like it may make it reasonable.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dd2 was recruited there (decided not to take the OV). From what we could tell and she gathered from all her phone calls- great school across the board, and definitely seemed to attract some hard-working, bright kids. We know a couple of girls there and they report loving the school (not just the team).

That's all I know. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, dmmetler said:

(The one in Ohio). DD spent quite awhile talking to their admissions rep at a college fair, and they actually have her cognitive science major available, as well as an animal science program. Merit aid looks like it may make it reasonable.  

 

Is cognitive science available as an undergraduate major?

We've been considering Miami but my dd is wary of it because of the party/preppy reputation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tl;dr - I think Miami is a nice school and I encouraged my kids to apply there.  I think the party reputation is a bit overblown.

We have several family members who attended in the 1980s-1990s.  We considered it a solid option in the likely admission range, and both of our older kids applied and were accepted.  I like their merit aid scholarships that are tied to test scores and gpa.  These have higher award amounts for out of state students.  Both of my kids received enough to bring tuition down below the level of in-state rates (as out of state applicants).  

All three of the people who attended still speak fondly of their time at Miami.  They were in vastly different majors, from humanities, to social sciences, to hard science.  Two went directly into PhD programs, then to post-doc work and into working professionally in their field (not as academics).  

The campus is a lovely one, about 45-90 minutes outside Cincinnati (depending on what part of town you're trying to get to.  I think Cincinnati is a great city, with sports, food, festivals, art museums, Broadway shows, historical sites, and an extensive parks system (Hamilton County Parks).   For transportation, Miami would be about equidistant between the Cincinnati and Dayton airports.  Cincinnati probably has more flights.

I know that Miami has a reputation as a party school.  That always surprises me, because the three people I know who attended are not party people.  Two did Alpha Phi Omega, which is a fraternity, but one that I think is actually a true service fraternity.  To my knowledge it does not have a residence associated with it.  Miami has about 20k students, so I think it's possible to find lots of party goers, but also lots who aren't.  (Having said that around 25% of students are in a Greek fraternity.  I would have discouraged my kids from pledging a traditional fraternity there - or at any campus.)

Back in the day, it was hard to have permission to have a car on campus.  I don't know what the current situation it.  That could make it feel more remote.

 

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, dmmetler said:

(The one in Ohio). DD spent quite awhile talking to their admissions rep at a college fair, and they actually have her cognitive science major available, as well as an animal science program. Merit aid looks like it may make it reasonable.  

Miami is where I got my bachelor's degree. What would you like to know? It is the quintessential red brick college campus/town. A fair amount of the social life, though not all, revolves around the Greek system. It is no more of a party school than anywhere else. 

I didn't go Greek and neither did my friends. We had plenty to do socially and a great four years. They have a campus in Luxembourg where some students study for a semester. I was in Alpha Phi Omega - the large service group Sebastian mentioned - and it was a really fun group at the time. Not sure what it is like today. I was also an RA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

tl;dr - I think Miami is a nice school and I encouraged my kids to apply there.  I think the party reputation is a bit overblown.

We have several family members who attended in the 1980s-1990s.  We considered it a solid option in the likely admission range, and both of our older kids applied and were accepted.  I like their merit aid scholarships that are tied to test scores and gpa.  These have higher award amounts for out of state students.  Both of my kids received enough to bring tuition down below the level of in-state rates (as out of state applicants).  

All three of the people who attended still speak fondly of their time at Miami.  They were in vastly different majors, from humanities, to social sciences, to hard science.  Two went directly into PhD programs, then to post-doc work and into working professionally in their field (not as academics).  

The campus is a lovely one, about 45-90 minutes outside Cincinnati (depending on what part of town you're trying to get to.  I think Cincinnati is a great city, with sports, food, festivals, art museums, Broadway shows, historical sites, and an extensive parks system (Hamilton County Parks).   For transportation, Miami would be about equidistant between the Cincinnati and Dayton airports.  Cincinnati probably has more flights.

I know that Miami has a reputation as a party school.  That always surprises me, because the three people I know who attended are not party people.  Two did Alpha Phi Omega, which is a fraternity, but one that I think is actually a true service fraternity.  To my knowledge it does not have a residence associated with it.  Miami has about 20k students, so I think it's possible to find lots of party goers, but also lots who aren't.  (Having said that around 25% of students are in a Greek fraternity.  I would have discouraged my kids from pledging a traditional fraternity there - or at any campus.)

Back in the day, it was hard to have permission to have a car on campus.  I don't know what the current situation it.  That could make it feel more remote.

 

I was in Alpha Phi Omega during the same time period as your family members. I probably knew them. Small world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mom2boys said:

I was in Alpha Phi Omega during the same time period as your family members. I probably knew them. Small world!

Was my characterization of the group correct?  I don't think of it in the same category as other frats (even though most frats seem to advertise themselves as being about service).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My slightly geeky childhood friend went there and loved it. She didn't do a sorority, and seemed to have a full college experience. OTOH, my valedictorian cousin went, dubbed it "green hell" and transferred out after her first year. So I guess definitely different strokes...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...