Menu

Independent latin for 6th grade

My rising 6th grader wants to do Latin. I have never been able to fit it into our schedule and I told her we can't do it. Last night I found her reading a latin dictionary and decide I should let her have a try! I have practically no time I can commit to helping her with this. Is there a program with videos, or something written to students that an eager self started could manage on her own?

Keep Going With Latin (GSWL2) will be out soon, giving you more material after GSWL. I'll probably use them before Oxford. The books are $20 new and a complete, gentle introductory course.

Latin For Children has a video component which I think would be nice in this situation.

If you can get Minimus from the library it woukd be a good way to see if she would do well with Oxford or Cambridge. Most 6th graders should not use those programs but she she doesn't sound like most 6th graders.

I've heard of Big Book of Lively Latin being done independently but have never seen the book myself. It seems well liked.

Visual Latin is appealing to me but I've heard it's repleat with errors.

My plan is to use GSWL, KGWL, Oxford 1-3. I do not plan to this independently, but I think that can be done with a motivated student.

I answered this post as someone who has heavily researched Latin programs but chooses to study Greek for the time being.

I always suggest GSWL first, although I prefer when it can be fine orally so that it isn't so much about the writing. It may not matter to her, or she could split the lessons in half, or she could do half, check them, and decide if she needs to do the rest.  

After GSWL we move to the Big Book of Lively Latin (BBoLL). I bought the pdf and print chapters as we go. A motivated 6th grade could probably do it on her own. There is a separate pdf with answers for checking.