Menu

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Spanish vs Breaking the Barrier

My 9th grader is currently using BTSB after having Spanish I in PS.  I believe it moves much faster than she moved in school.  She is only using the text (not the e-text), and I’m not sure how it would go if she hadn’t already done  Spanish I.  Ymmv with the e-book.

Breaking the Barrier does move more quickly than many texts. Galore Park isn't a full high school level, though. Unless maybe they have MS and HS Spanish 1's that are different? Also, GP is European English/Spanish, which is fine, but different. I studied in Spain, so it isn't that I necessarily disliked it, more that it was noticeably different from any text I had used to learn or teach from in the US. Just something to be aware of.

2 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Breaking the Barrier does move more quickly than many texts. Galore Park isn't a full high school level, though. Unless maybe they have MS and HS Spanish 1's that are different? Also, GP is European English/Spanish, which is fine, but different. I studied in Spain, so it isn't that I necessarily disliked it, more that it was noticeably different from any text I had used to learn or teach from in the US. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks!  Would you have a better recommendation?

Pam

11 hours ago, wehave8 said:

Thanks!  Would you have a better recommendation?

Pam

Not really. My high schoolers are using BtB. My 9 year old will probably use GP in a couple of years. I know some people are very happy with some online options. I don't want to pay for that since Spanish is the one high school class I am actually certified to teach. LOL

My 8th grader is using BTB Spanish this year. I am also teaching Spanish 1 at a local hybrid school. BTB is significantly faster paced than BJU Spanish. That said, I REALLY like the way it is set up. I am thinking I will take my ds through BTB 1 over grade 7-8. I think it does a great job of teaching concepts, the practice problems are appplicable, not busywork, and they learn enough vocabulary but not overwhelmingly so. I haven't decided if dd will finish level 1 this year or not. We have 2 chapters left.... but I have read that BTB SPanish 1-3 is equivalent to 4 years of Spanish. 

• Like 1