Menu

Great Moments In Homeschooling

HS Mom in NC

In the last few weeks my youngest has decided on her own to just get up early each day and get school done as efficiently as possible. It's been glorious! In the last week or so she's taken that attitude with chores too. Sure, I'd like her to do it for the love of learning and sense of community, but I'll take what I can get. 

Anyone else have any great moments in homeschooling they want to share?

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

In the last few weeks my youngest has decided on her own to just get up early each day and get school done as efficiently as possible. It's been glorious! In the last week or so she's taken that attitude with chores too. Sure, I'd like her to do it for the love of learning and sense of community, but I'll take what I can get. 

Anyone else have any great moments in homeschooling they want to share?

This is a GREAT one!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

My baby (age 6 🥰) has taken to finding consonant blends everywhere and announcing them to whoever’s nearby. He’s my last to teach I read, and it’s a little bittersweet.

When we downsized last summer I got rid of all our elementary aged homeschool stuff.  I loved that we were downsizing by 50%, but there were some pangs of grief at leaving that stage of homeschooling forever.  It was definitely my favorite stage.

• Like 5

Great moments? My ds has chosen to read on his own for 10-15 minutes 4 days this week! That's HUGE for him.

50 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

In the last few weeks my youngest has decided on her own to just get up early each day and get school done as efficiently as possible.

Yeah, about the time my dd started going that, blossoming and becoming amazing, then she LEFT. Sniff. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

This morning, I struggled through my sinus-infection-induced misery to read about the Potato Famine in SOTW 4.  All four kids decided to sprawl at my feet to listen and color.  Peter interrupted every 30 seconds to inject tidbits of wisdom like "Ireland isn't even as big as Michigan".  Elliot got up incessantly to sharpen already-sharp colored pencils.  Spencer tipped his pencil box twice because he was being too wild and each time broke into sobs about having to pick up his crayons.  Audrey industriously used her scissors to cut her coloring page into 38,695,936,742 shreds which were slowly scattered all over the floor.

It was really kind of dreadful...and yet, they all begged me to read from SOTW when I would have happily skipped it for the day.  They were all interested in learning about the Potato Famine and gave good narrations afterwards.  And when I "let" Audrey use the vacuum to clean up her paper mess, she declared it the "Best Day Ever!!"

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

After giving DS (13) and two of his friends a ride to a meet-up, my DS reflected: “I should’ve given one of them the front seat.”  A thoughtful human being is emerging!  Ahh!

And this week... he began organizing his schoolwork and pens.  Also, loving Latin.  Never saw that one coming.  

• Like 5

When my daughter was in high school (she wanted to go, even though she had been homeschooled up to that time), the kids still joked with her and her friend who had also been homeschooled. They were asked, so how do you like public school now, which is better?  To which they both adamantly replied, "homeschool, definitely!"  Even though they had a great group of kids in their class and they had  interesting and challenging classes... this was so nice to hear!  

• Like 2

My oldest two, 10 and 8,  have recently started devouring books. They've been great readers for years but never really wanted to read.  But within the last 2 months they have read so many books I can't keep track.  My 8 year old now reads multiple books at a time like me. To top if off,  my 6 year old has been watching the enjoyment they've been getting out of all their books that he has asked me to teach him to read.  Before he had zero interest.  With only 2 weeks of instruction he has started reading the bob books pretty well

• Like 3

My 14 year old was at a role playing convention today. He was playing in a game where he was a Russian superhero. He kept text me "what is the Russian word for..." I answered about 8 of these before I said "this is the last one... maybe you should learn Russian." He said Good idea.  I can start on Mango - can you teach me the alphabet?" 

• Like 3