Menu

Can we do another audiobook roundup? I’ll start

madteaparty

I’m specifically interested in ages 8-10, just in time for drive to summer camp and back 😉 

I’ve been pulling down from the cloud what I listened with dS but I can’t remember when I heard what with him, so I think I’m really off on age (I’ve a big age difference between my two). For example, Chitty Chitty bang bang was a huge hit with her, as was How to train your dragon and the rest. But I don’t think I can listen to A Series of Unfortunate Events again, my love for Tim Curry notwithstanding. Thankfully, she doesn’t seem a fan either. What I have on there seems older right now (Bud not Buddy, Wonder, etc).

Looking for some new audio recommendations for this age, what do your kids love that you don’t hate 😉 ?

ps. I know everyone loves Harry Potter audio but I am not a fan, and she likes the books so that’s fine. 

15 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

The first three we’ve done but not the last two, thank you thank you 🙂

33 minutes ago, MDL said:

My youngest guy is now 9 and we have thoroughly enjoyed:

Mr Poppers Penguins

Carry on Mr. Bodwitch (not on audible, most we stream from the library)

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil.....

hmmm, seems I have a thing for Mr and Mrs!

Carry on we haven’t done yet but we read the rest out loud. Thank you!

We both adored the book "Bowser" and the sequel.   It is a mystery told from the perspective of the dog.  At first I rolled my eyes, but it totally works and I'm not a fan of mysteries.  We liked it enough to send the author a nice note.  He is a well-published author that started to write under another name for these kid's books.   DD has declared that her first dog will be named "Bowser".  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Have you listened to the George series by Hawking?  The Prydain Chronicles? Here There be Dragons? Books of Beginning? 

Not yet, I have the 3 George books on paper—are they better on audio you think? 

I do have the first of Prydain, thanks for reminder. Last two I’ve never heard of, thank you! 

If she enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon you should definitely listen to the Wizards of Once and its sequel by the same author.

My kids listen to The Hero’s Guide series by Christopher Healy on repeat.

Other favorites on audio have been Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, the Peter Nimble and Sophie Quire books, and the Gregor the Overlander series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh! I almost forgot that we just finished the entire Henry Huggins collection. We all laughed out loud, which I really was not expecting. My daughters are 11, 9, and 7. We got the series from Audible, and all but one of the books is read by Neil Patrick Harris. His version of Ramona’s voice still has us in stitches as we try to imitate it. 

Matilda, read by Kate Winslet, is another one I would say should not be missed on audio.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haanz said:

If she enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon you should definitely listen to the Wizards of Once and its sequel by the same author.

My kids listen to The Hero’s Guide series by Christopher Healy on repeat.

Other favorites on audio have been Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, the Peter Nimble and Sophie Quire books, and the Gregor the Overlander series.

Gregor the overlander was a huge huge favorite of DS but I think maybe 8 too young still? I can’t recall when he read it but it was after all the Harry Potter...

thanks for all the suggestions!

My 8 year old has especially loved the following in the last year:

Prydain Chronicles series

The Penderwicks

The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (I especially loved this one!)

The Graveyard Book (not aimed at kids, but it was well within what I’m comfortable with for her, and the audiobook is especially awesome)

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Tuesdays at the Castle (she read the rest of the series independently)

The Lemonade War

Frindle

Wonder

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos (and the rest of the series)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

My 8 year old has especially loved the following in the last year:

Prydain Chronicles series

The Penderwicks

The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (I especially loved this one!)

The Graveyard Book (not aimed at kids, but it was well within what I’m comfortable with for her, and the audiobook is especially awesome)

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Tuesdays at the Castle (she read the rest of the series independently)

The Lemonade War

Frindle

Wonder

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos (and the rest of the series)

Thank you for these. Dd also liked Frindle but is dragging on the other books by the same author (currently whining about the Report Card). Thanks again for the rest of your list, most are new to me!

We just finished up the Mysterious Benedict Society (first book) and all my kids are begging for more. We’re currently listening to The Boys on the Boat (young reader adaptation) and they’re really really enoying it - especially that it’s a true story.

• Thanks 1

The Tale of Despereaux

The Hobbit

Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina is one of our favorites.

On a lighter note, Freddy goes to Florida is a favorite too!

The Trumpet of the Swan, read by E. B. White was my son's favorite at age 8. 

The Chronicles of Narnia. We like the regular audiobooks better than the dramatized ones. 

Winnie the Pooh is great for all ages! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinewarbler said:

Great list! We've done most of these and loved them. Anyone have recommendations for 12 & 13 year olds?

I got an email from Audible about a two for one sale. I’m looking at Hatchet and Walk Two Moons (narrated by Hope Davis, who I love). I think they may both be too much for my crew right now, but 12-13 would be perfect.