Menu

What's with the ads?

Terabith

I'm used to losing socks in the dryer, but this is freaky!

Are you sure one of your kids isn't stealing this stuff?

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

Are you sure one of your kids isn't stealing this stuff?

Quite.  Both for character reasons and logistical ones.  

Erma Bombeck's dryer did the same thing. She said when she found a garment that no one remembered, and which didn't fit anyone in the family, she just put it back in the washer and it disappeared. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Time and/or space travel. 

It hasn't been perfected yet so the essentials need to come through first (pants, top, trusty towel that no traveler should be without) before the naked time traveler.  I predict footgear or the time traveler will be next. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, happi duck said:

Time and/or space travel. 

It hasn't been perfected yet so the essentials need to come through first (pants, top, trusty towel that no traveler should be without) before the naked time traveler.  I predict footgear or the time traveler will be next. 🙂

Could be worse than that.  Maybe it was a live traveler with full gear (attempt made to imitate jeans and towels in destination location not quite perfect—towel of course known to be critical having read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)  going through a worm hole, and what came through the drier got separated.  

The mostly naked traveler arrived elsewhere sans pants and towel .  

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

That seems risky, though.  I mean, if the socks are the raw material from which it's making jeans, I'm happy to sacrifice some.  These are great jeans!

• Like 1

No relatives who secretly may leave gifts?   My mom was notorious for that.   We wouldn't be home, she'd just come inside and leave something.

Love this thread!!

I don't know if I've ever admitted this to anyone, but my washer/dryer doesn't lose socks. We always get back what we put in-socks and everything else.

4 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

But the children have to put both socks in the laundry for that to work. Somehow, that doesn’t always happen in my house...

Edited by scholastica

On 4/13/2019 at 9:50 AM, Pen said:

I’ve also had some animals , pets and wild life both, who have brought  things including clothing items into our home.  One was an actual genuine pack rat.   

We have feline intervention-cats that pick up items and move them around. One stashes her finds under the TV cabinet (which has cutouts in the bottom like mouseholes), one picks them up, takes them to the kitchen floor, and plays with them until they end up under the refrigerator or oven, and one just scatters them to attack bare feet. Each has their own set of items they prefer. I was in the middle of a tutoring session last week, and cat 2 came through and stole the dice! 

We have a tree that sprouts clothing, and sometimes other things (skateboards, scooters, a bike once). Usually those items vanish at 3:30 when the middle school bus stops there, but some have stayed for weeks and end up donated to goodwill-or becoming lizard habitat :). 

• Haha 1

We have a cat that steals and relocates hair bands and twistie ties, and sometimes bottle caps.  I don't think either cat could physically move a pair of jeans, though, or a hoodie.  

On 4/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, Margaret in CO said:

I washed dh's work jacket, jeans, and a towel that were covered in blood from doing a c-section on a cow (calf didn't make it, but the cow did). When I pulled them out of the dryer (after 2 washings), there was a sock that would fit an 8yo. My youngest child is 20. NO ONE else has been in our house except one WTM mom last week, so many, many loads ago. Where did this sock come from? We've replaced both the dryer and the washer since the last child moved out!

That mom was me! B-) (Sorry about the calf, Margaret.)

As I read through these responses, which are getting very creative, i realized that we, too, have had items of clothing show up mysteriously. One in particular that I can think of almost definitely came from the dryer. It was a pair of female underwear in a size that most definitely would not fit any females in my household. If we're going with the parallel universe theory, someone somewhere has lost their underwear! 😮  I think I'd rather lose my sock! 😉

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scrapbookbuzz said:

That mom was me! B-) (Sorry about the calf, Margaret.)

As I read through these responses, which are getting very creative, i realized that we, too, have had items of clothing show up mysteriously. One in particular that I can think of almost definitely came from the dryer. It was a pair of female underwear in a size that most definitely would not fit any females in my household. If we're going with the parallel universe theory, someone somewhere has lost their underwear! 😮  I think I'd rather lose my sock! 😉

Unfortunately, we lost the cow too. We had a set of twins a few days ago, but mom has no milk. We FINALLY convinced the heifer calf to take a bottle tonight (we think) as tube feeding her is not a long-term solution. And #155 calved, but the calf isn't going to make it--probably heart problem. It's in the porch and I haven't checked in the last hour, but it's probably gone. So, now we attempt to convince #155 that the bull calf from the twins is HER calf, without getting someone killed. She is NOT a nice cow! Both cows will be going down the road this year. You're glad you've missed all the excitement. 

We had a pair of men's underwear show up a few years ago, but who knows from where! Quite small, not a style ds wears. And dd's fiance had been killed years before, so not his. Mysteries. 

eta: the calf is still alive! And lying with it's head up! It's doing a weird weaving thing, but it's moving more than it was. 

Edited by Margaret in CO
  • Like 1

This thread reminds me that dd#3 is still missing the pants I gave her several weeks ago. They were mine, but she wore them a few times so I just said she could have them. Then, they disappeared.

I got her a pair in a different color and those disappeared, too. I found the second pair behind the couch, but the original pair is still missing. Perhaps someone else's dryer has her pants . . . 

• Like 1

We had a shirt seemingly duplicate itself in the dryer.  It was a striped pattern long sleeve thermal, boys size 12 and one day instead of having one of them, we had two.  I’m sure it was just that my son had a friend over who had and left the same shirt.  But then the friend insisted he didn’t have a shirt like that either.  I’m going with 10 year old boys are forgetful vs. the dryer is weaving me new shirts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That video of the creeper was terrifying.

No kidding!! 😱 I wonder what happened after the guy watched the tape?

35 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

No kidding!! 😱 I wonder what happened after the guy watched the tape?

He called the police.  The woman was arrested.  She refused to speak or give her name. The police said it was surprisingly common. She'd been there for at least a couple weeks.

He ended up moving to California last I knew.

ETA: If you click the YouTube icon at the bottom of those videos it takes you to the video's location on YouTube itself, where you can see anything the person who posted the video commented.  This guy had a channel that I was subscribed to for a while, which was why I remembered it, but I don't follow him any more.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not since the hoodie.  One ugly towel, one awesome pair of jeans, and a weird but functional hoodie