Menu

I'm used to losing socks in the dryer, but this is freaky!

Terabith

I don't question the disappearing socks and guitar picks in the dryer anymore.  I figure it's just part of our regular sacrifices to the laundry god.  But what really kind of seriously weirds me out is that our dryer has started producing things out of thin air!  First, there was the ugly towel.  Nobody has ever seen this towel before, and it was (badly) knitted out of several different kinds of fabric.  But apparently that was only the learning phase of our dryer's stealth gift phase, because now it has gifted us a new pair of jeans, in the obscure size my daughter wears.  My daughter swears up and down they are not her jeans.  And nobody recalls purchasing them.  But she now indisputably has an additional pair of jeans she did not have before.  They sprung into existence fully formed when I did laundry.  So, what sayeth the Hive?  Is our dryer developing sentience and clothing construction skills?  Is a random person breaking into our home, doing laundry, and leaving stuff behind?  (We don't routinely lock the door; this is possible.  We did once have an old man wander in in the middle of the night.)  What is the proper response to being gifted by the laundry god?  How do you thank it?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 15
  • Confused 2

We also have many random pieces of clothing that have showed up including shoes and coats. We do not have a lot of company so it's not like we have a traffic flow of people that could possibly leave things behind. I also have a complete bed set that I have no idea where it came from. It appears to be a queen size and no one in our house has a queen size bed and neither of the dds who would give me stuff have queen size beds either. It has been an ongoing mystery for some time now.

• Haha 1

We haven't had any sleepovers, nor has this child been anywhere where changing clothes would have been a thing.  Plus, none of her clothes are missing, so unless someone just left without their pants, how would that even happen?  Pretty sure they're not playing pranks.  She was angry at me that I kept trying to give them to her when they weren't hers.  She kept saying, "I only have two pairs of jeans."  And....I would remember buying pants.  And they're a really weird size.  (She has short legs, so they're short, not regular.)  

15 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

We also have many random pieces of clothing that have showed up including shoes and coats. We do not have a lot of company so it's not like we have a traffic flow of people that could possibly leave things behind. I also have a complete bed set that I have no idea where it came from. It appears to be a queen size and no one in our house has a queen size bed and neither of the dds who would give me stuff have queen size beds either. It has been an ongoing mystery for some time now.

This makes me feel better that other people also randomly acquire stuff from the laundry fairy.  

6 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I think maybe an extra-good cleaning of the lint filter and duct? Maybe it would like some of those scented fabric softener sheets, but I don't, so our dryer wouldn't get any.

Yeah, we don't use fabric softener of any kind or even dryer sheets.  Maybe I should?  I don't know....  I don't like scented stuff on clothes.  

• Like 1

Have you had anyone over or given a ride to anyone who could have had them in a backpack or similar and they fell out?  We tend to be on the side of clothing loss, I think because something carried gets dislodged and forgotten. Do you or your kids have anyone they know who would be the size of the pants?   Ugly towel is sort of thing that might be stuffed in a backpack in case of need.  

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, we don't use fabric softener of any kind or even dryer sheets.  Maybe I should?  I don't know....  I don't like scented stuff on clothes.  

No no no! You should not!  People like me who get sick from scented products thank you for not using them!!!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Have you had anyone over or given a ride to anyone who could have had them in a backpack or similar and they fell out?  We tend to be on the side of clothing loss, I think because something carried gets dislodged and forgotten. Do you or your kids have anyone they know who would be the size of the pants?   Ugly towel is sort of thing that might be stuffed in a backpack in case of need.  

Nope.  Nobody ever comes over.  I have given rides, but almost all were to teen boys, who would definitely NOT be that size of pants.  Not to mention that we aren't organized enough for anything to inadvertently make it out of the car and into our house.   And the towel and pants are two separate instances, months apart.  

Just now, Kareni said:

I think that your dryer may be a portal to another world. Perhaps there is some Turkish Delight in your future.

Regards,

Kareni

No no!  Definitely say no to the Turkish Delight!  Maybe I should review with my kids the "what do you do if you are transported into another world" protocol?  They're probably more up to date on it than I am; Anna watches a LOT of Doctor Who.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I think that your dryer may be a portal to another world. Perhaps there is some Turkish Delight in your future.

Regards,

Kareni

Turkish delight is nasty. I have no idea why Lewis thought that was a good trap. My brother brought us real Turkish delight from TURKEY. It was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Definitely say no to the Turkish Delight

13 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Turkish delight is nasty.

I grew up in Australia where we had Turkish Delight from Cadbury; it was pretty yummy.  Perhaps the delicious chocolate coating makes all the difference. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

How do you thank a dryer?  

It depends on the dryer. If your dryer has a taste for socks, more colorful, fanciful socks may be suitable. My dryer would probably appreciate baby socks and Boy 5-6 size shirts, but has not shown the initiative yours has.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I don't question the disappearing socks and guitar picks in the dryer anymore.  I figure it's just part of our regular sacrifices to the laundry god.  But what really kind of seriously weirds me out is that our dryer has started producing things out of thin air!  First, there was the ugly towel.  Nobody has ever seen this towel before, and it was (badly) knitted out of several different kinds of fabric.  But apparently that was only the learning phase of our dryer's stealth gift phase, because now it has gifted us a new pair of jeans, in the obscure size my daughter wears.  My daughter swears up and down they are not her jeans.  And nobody recalls purchasing them.  But she now indisputably has an additional pair of jeans she did not have before.  They sprung into existence fully formed when I did laundry.  So, what sayeth the Hive?  Is our dryer developing sentience and clothing construction skills?  Is a random person breaking into our home, doing laundry, and leaving stuff behind?  (We don't routinely lock the door; this is possible.  We did once have an old man wander in in the middle of the night.)  What is the proper response to being gifted by the laundry god?  How do you thank it?  

If my laundry produced the miracle of a perfectly sized pair of jeans I would be worshipping in awe!  Also maybe offering some extra washing powder or something for the daily sacrifice!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happi duck said:

You've solved the missing sock mystery!! Our dimension loses socks, another loses jeans and another loses towels!  Somewhere someone is receiving our socks!

Exactly, you can thank us, Terabith, not your dryer.  We lost our firstborn’s sock on the drive home from the hospital...that has a higher value.  

You are welcome!

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you have any pets that come in and out, either through a cat flap or doggy door or just a door that's left open a lot? I had a cat once who stole clothes and brought them in the house. The first thing he brought in was a black leotard. My husband saw it on the floor, assumed it was mine, and threw it in the wash. The first time I saw it was when I was taking it out of the dryer, which led to an "interesting" discussion with the hubs, who swore it just appeared on the bedroom floor and he thought it was mine. A few days later a sock appeared, and then another sock, and then one day I caught the cat sneaking into the house with a rubber glove in his mouth. He actually ended up collecting a total of  5 rubber gloves before we figured out who he was stealing them from and managed to return them, lol. 

Anyway, is it possible that a cat or dog (or even a person) might have found the jeans outside and brought them in, and then someone just tossed them in the wash? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

I grew up in Australia where we had Turkish Delight from Cadbury; it was pretty yummy.  Perhaps the delicious chocolate coating makes all the difference. 

Regards,

Kareni

I grew . up with it too.   it is very yummy

• Like 2

Lol!

We’ve had a few similar incidents, but I’m confident I know how they happen. My daughters share a room, and they’re both slobs. Once or twice a year, we require a safety clean out and mysterious items show up in the mounds of laundry that are created.  Sometimes MY long lost items, that I’ve forgotten I owned,  show up! (We are sizes 10-12, 6, and 0, so you would think that wouldn’t be an issue, yet it is.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Do you have any pets that come in and out, either through a cat flap or doggy door or just a door that's left open a lot? I had a cat once who stole clothes and brought them in the house. The first thing he brought in was a black leotard. My husband saw it on the floor, assumed it was mine, and threw it in the wash. The first time I saw it was when I was taking it out of the dryer, which led to an "interesting" discussion with the hubs, who swore it just appeared on the bedroom floor and he thought it was mine. A few days later a sock appeared, and then another sock, and then one day I caught the cat sneaking into the house with a rubber glove in his mouth. He actually ended up collecting a total of  5 rubber gloves before we figured out who he was stealing them from and managed to return them, lol. 

Anyway, is it possible that a cat or dog (or even a person) might have found the jeans outside and brought them in, and then someone just tossed them in the wash? 

We do have a cat that goes in and out, but we do not have a cat flap for him, precisely because we are afraid of this scenario.  (And also of other critters and other neighborhood cats coming in, and he's lost his breakaway collars that we are afraid to do a radio controlled collar cat flap.)  But your cat sounds absolutely hilarious!!!

Our washer gave us gifts, 2 in one day!  The first gift was a small, very cute elephant earring, found at the bottom of the washer when I was taking clothes out. I kept an eye out for its mate, but it never showed up. (I kept hoping it would. It's a very cute earring!) I sent a pic to each dd asking if it was theirs. It wasn't, but oldest dd asked her best friend, who hasn't been in our house since last summer. It was hers and she has the mate at her home 3 hours away! The second gift is a silver ring. I would really like to return it, but each dd has said it's not hers and has sent a pic of the ring to any friends who visited here. It's none of theirs, either. Neither of my dd's live at home. I guess I should ask ds if it belongs to one of his friends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I grew . up with it too.   it is very yummy

11 hours ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

The stuff my brother brought from Turkey was like layers of gummy bear interspersed with layers of jelly. Or a almond paste type stuff. Topped with nuts and dried cranberries. It was the texture that got to me.

• Like 1

I am quite enjoying this thread!

I can't keep track of socks well enough to know when they go missing, but I do wish someone would solve the Mystery of the Disappearing Shoes at my house. We have a preposterously large collection of shoes and boots that are missing their mates...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Terabith said:

She was angry at me that I kept trying to give them to her when they weren't hers.  She kept saying, "I only have two pairs of jeans." 

When my dd does this, she's tired. It's actually a running joke with us how emphatic she gets. My ds is starting to do it too, so I do the Inuit thing and tell him the story about his sister getting so emphatic something was a COW BARN as we were driving along one night across Oregon. I think it was an air hanger or some such thing, but wow was she emphatic. :biggrin:

PS. Don't worry, they get even more omniscient over the next few years.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Haha 2

On 4/12/2019 at 5:20 AM, fairfarmhand said:

Turkish delight is nasty. I have no idea why Lewis thought that was a good trap. My brother brought us real Turkish delight from TURKEY. It was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

La! Turkish delight is wonderful! It does depend on the flavor, though! 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 3:19 AM, Corraleno said:

I thought, "Look at what the cat dragged in" usually applied to small dead things, lol! 

I remember reading a story about a cat who "nursed" socks or mittens or something like they were babies.

• Like 1

I couldn't believe how many socks the dryer was eating, way more than our previous house too!

And then I found out that the dog had a secret hiding place for "babies." Now she'll see if I'm watching, steal one, and want to be chased!

• Haha 5