Menu

What's with the ads?

square_25

Goals for elementary school language arts?

Hey all, 

As you might know, I'm currently homeschooling my precocious first grader. So far, I've preferred not to follow any curriculum at all but to have fun exploring math, reading and writing. I tend to be goal-oriented with our learning: I have a vision for what I want for her by the time she hits middle school, and I try to work on whatever I think will get here there. 

I have a very good idea of what I want mathematically, and she already reads fluently at an almost middle school level. However, I've recently realized I have a much more vague idea of what I want from her writing-wise. Some things I've thought of: 

1) I want basic grammar: parts of speech, punctuation, sentence structure. I don't know how deep I'd want to get into this before we hit middle school. 

2) I want her to be able to plan out a story/essay before writing it. 

3) I want her to spell well and write legibly (it's already completely evident that this won't be an issue.) 

4) I want her to keep learning about how to structure a coherent, logical argument. 

What else would you say is a good goal for an elementary education in language arts? 

SWB has an excellent audio lecture (recorded from a conference) on teaching writing in the elementary years: https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-elementary-grades-mp3/ .

She also has a similar lecture on the middle school years. I try to listen to both of them every few months or so, just to remind myself of the big picture and the steps to get there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

SWB has an excellent audio lecture (recorded from a conference) on teaching writing in the elementary years: https://welltrainedmind.com/p/a-plan-for-teaching-writing-focus-on-the-elementary-grades-mp3/ .

She also has a similar lecture on the middle school years. I try to listen to both of them every few months or so, just to remind myself of the big picture and the steps to get there.

Thanks!! I'll have to have a listen :-).