Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas_mom

8th grade Foreign language include for High School??

If it was of high school rigor, and if the student continued with the next level of the same language into high school, then yes. (example: did Spanish I in 8th grade and Spanish II in 9th grade)

If the student did not continue with that same foreign language in to high school, or more just "dabbled" in 8th grade and pretty much started over with the same foreign language in 9th grade, then no, I would not.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5

Basically what Lori D. said. My ds is 8th grade this year, he is taking German 1 with high school level pacing at WTMA, and is continuing on to German II next year, so I am including it as high school work completed before 9th grade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicholas_mom said:

He will continue the language into high school but will be lapse a couple of years.....

A lot of language gets lost with a gap, so it may just be easier to start over again in high school, and not worry about the 8th grade course -- i.e., just consider the 8th grade course an introduction or preview.

In looking at your signature, you've got a full load of courses and extracurriculars, and I imagine that will be the case for every year of high school, so it wouldn't be a big deal to not count the 8th grade Foreign Language. JMO! 🙂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I have one of mine credit for her 8th grade year of Latin, and I didn't the next one.  Both continued in it. But the second one was not at a level ready to move onto Latin two at the end of 8th grade, so we continued but called 9th grade Latin 1. 

• Like 2

From what other people in our state have said, in this state, you may list them on the transcript as high school classes taken in middle school, but you may NOT count them as part of the required high school credits.  I think that is ridiculous, but I asked about that a while ago in regards to language year 1 or algebra 1, and the consensus was that no, they could not count toward the required high school credits. A student who takes algebra 1 in 8th grade still needs 3 other math classes in high school to receive a diploma. (Yes, of course a bright student should easily take more math than that.)

• Like 2

From what other people in our state have said, in this state, you may list them on the transcript as high school classes taken in middle school, but you may NOT count them as part of the required high school credits.  I think that is ridiculous, but I asked about that a while ago in regards to language year 1 or algebra 1, and the consensus was that no, they could not count toward the required high school credits. A student who takes algebra 1 in 8th grade still needs 3 other math classes in high school to receive a diploma. (Yes, of course a bright student should easily take more math than that.)

Oh!  I didn't think about our particular state.  Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 2

I included Latin I that ds took in 8th grade on his transcript because it was high school level and he did respectably well on a standardised Latin test that I found online, so I knew that he had actually learned it. 🙂 

• Like 1

In California, I believe the two only subjects for which you are allowed to take high school credit for work done in middle school are math and foreign language, provided they are high school level and are graded as such. At my daughter’s middle school, many kids came out with either or both math and foreign language high school credits.

19 minutes ago, Mabelen said:

In California, I believe the two only subjects for which you are allowed to take high school credit for work done in middle school are math and foreign language, provided they are high school level and are graded as such. At my daughter’s middle school, many kids came out with either or both math and foreign language high school credits.

Exactly, only I am still a little ensure what it means. Apparently we can list them on a transcript as completed, but I am not sure we can actually grant credits for graduation or include the grade into the high school GPA for any class completed in middle school. 

I am just going to list math and foreign language as a side note. 

• Like 1

Unless your state has a specific law about it, you could list them with grades, counting in GPA and in credits toward graduation, and just let the colleges decide if they want to refigure or not.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, klmama said:

Unless your state has a specific law about it, you could list them with grades, counting in GPA and in credits toward graduation, and just let the colleges decide if they want to refigure or not.  

Or if the public colleges have very specific guidelines. 

I put math and foreign language from 8th on the transcript with a grade. It is used in the gpa.  I'm also clear how I calculated gpa so colleges can recalculate if that's how they roll. 

There is a lot of variety across districts and states.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Exactly, only I am still a little ensure what it means. Apparently we can list them on a transcript as completed, but I am not sure we can actually grant credits for graduation or include the grade into the high school GPA for any class completed in middle school. 

I am just going to list math and foreign language as a side note. 

Yeah, I am not sure myself. My freshman is in public school and has math credits from middle school. I haven’t looked into it closely because she is planning on 4 full years of math, so she shouldn’t need any middle school credits to count anyway. We are targeting the California public university systems, which do their own gpa calculations. I don’t think her 8th grade grades will count at all except Cal Poly if she ever applies there.

Edited by Mabelen

48 minutes ago, Mabelen said:

Yeah, I am not sure myself. My freshman is in public school and has math credits from middle school. I haven’t looked into it closely because she is planning on 4 full years of math, so she shouldn’t need any middle school credits to count anyway. We are targeting the California public university systems, which do their own gpa calculations. I don’t think her 8th grade grades will count at all except Cal Poly if she ever applies there.

We are in a similar boat. I have been trying to figure out what the local PS is doing. I know they give foreign language and math credits, but I can’t figure out if they count those toward graduation. Parents of PS kids have no clue and are very puzzled by my questions. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We are in a similar boat. I have been trying to figure out what the local PS is doing. I know they give foreign language and math credits, but I can’t figure out if they count those toward graduation. Parents of PS kids have no clue and are very puzzled by my questions. 🙂

I was able to find our local guidelines in the MS and HS course catalogs/guidance booklets. Maybe look up a public school nearby?

• Like 1