Menu

CAP W&R - need opinions from those who have used several levels

I’ve used books 1-3 with younger students.  We enjoyed it but I don’t know that I ever felt they wrote better as a result. 

So I am looking for reviews for Any of you who have gone further with it, particularly those who have used all levels. How did you feel it prepared your writers?  

We use TOG and I’m struggling with whether I should just do their assignments all the way through or use W&R and see it through more levels. This is for my upcoming 4th grader. 

My natural writer enjoyed it, but it didn't challenge her, so we dropped it. She did Fable, Narrative 2 and half of the next one. 

My reluctant writer is thriving with the creativity and the fun of it. It is helping him to enjoy writing and that is a WIN! He is just in Fable so far. 

I have always used it alongside other writing curricula or assignments. Reluctant writer is using it and Killgallon. Natural writer used it at a younger age, alternating senesters with WWE or Treasured Conversations.

Edited by ScoutTN

Im only a but further than you, level 4.

I guess it depends what you are trying to improve.  For me, in level 1 (fable) my goal was just getting thoughts on paper, and the general idea that you could do so in several ways.  It fulfilled that goal well in all 4 kids I've had use it (for the record in 3rd or 4th grade as reccomended).

In the next two levels (narratives 1 and 2) I increased my goal to interesting writing.  Varied sentences, use of description and dialogue, ect.  My natural writer succeeded at this much more than my struggling writer.  I can see her using the tools learned in other writing, but he needs to be reminded to use them.  I've only used these books with these 2 kids, both in 4th (narrative 1) and 5th (narrative 2) grade at the time.  Next year I'll have my upcoming 4th and 5th use them.

The next level after this (Cheria) switches gears to essay writing.  We had never done any essay writing before so this was the biggest seen improvement.  I feel like both my kids can churn out an ok essay using this template with little stress or effort, and a good essay with a couple days and maybe for my struggler some sweat and tears.  They were in the last half of 5th grade.

The next book is another form of essay, and I'm looking forward to some variety from the praise, interpret, explain, compare, contrast, finish up format.  I'm happy with, and plan on continuing the series.  For the record I think it works best with kids on the later age of their recomended spectrum, though.  

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 3