Menu

AP Biology 9th grade?

We have found a small provider offering AP Biology where we like the format, the book and the lab kit. I'm pretty sure I can come up with a test site. However, I really only intended for her to take the SAT subject test in biology this year after studying with OCW or something else interesting. So even though this seems like the "right" course, I'm not really sold on AP. I had hoped to find something interesting and deep for biology without the crush of an AP course.

Anyhow what would be the pros and cons of doing an AP science in 9th grade? The provider suggests 7 hours a week for the course. Is that reasonable? It seems low and I don't want to overload kiddo.

TIA

Edited by MamaSprout

My dd took AP Bio as a sophomore and did fine.  But she'd already taken AP CS A in 8th grade and AP chem in 9th grade, so she was familiar with FRQs and how it all works.  And she enjoys the AP format and taking tests.  She went on to take many more APs in high school, and it's nice to be able to spread them out rather than cramming them into the last 2 years of high school.  

• Like 2

You could try using Campbell's Biology along with Mastering Biology. Then download the AP Biology Lab manual from AP Central and do all of the labs.  Another excellent resource is Bozeman Science podcasts.

My daughter took the course four years ago from Terri Kanner at PA Homeschoolers and got a 5 on the exam.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, learners4life said:

You could try using Campbell's Biology along with Mastering Biology. Then download the AP Biology Lab manual from AP Central and do all of the labs.  Another excellent resource is Bozeman Science podcasts.

My daughter took the course four years ago from Terri Kanner at PA Homeschoolers and got a 5 on the exam.

Thanks. I originally planned on doing the the AP kit from QSL with Campbell and Bozeman. That is how we ended up looking at an AP class initially, instead of just the SAT subject test, since we were pretty much there. What grade was your daughter when she took the course? Has she taken any other biology since then?

• Like 1

Hi,  My daughter also took it as a sophomore, but agree with what Lisa said about doing it as a Freshman.

My daughter didn't do any other biology in high school after AP Bio.  She did AP Chemistry and APES. However, she IS doing a lot of biology now since she's a sophomore pre-vet student. 🙂

• Like 2