Menu

What's with the ads?

My rising 9th grader is going to do AP Bio next year.  I am debating between CTY AP Bio, which uses the Thinkwell software and a lab kit, or doing the Thinkwell AP bio on our own in conjunction with the lab kit and a textbook (which one?).

Thinkwell only is obviously much cheaper, but on the other hand I do not have a biology background so I wonder if we need the extra hand-holding of CTY?  Furthermore, one problem with both of these options is that DS does not like online courses.  

Any experiences/thoughts/recommendations?

I have no experience here other than to say that my dd who also doesn't like online courses really doesn't like Thinkwell videos. I feel your pain, though. There seems to be a lack of options for biology beyond regular high school level. The honors courses just look like busy work and AP seems like drinking from a fire hose. Is there a dual credit course you could explore?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:55 AM, JennyD said:

Furthermore, one problem with both of these options is that DS does not like online courses.  

Any experiences/thoughts/recommendations?

DS13 didn’t take well to the two Thinkwell courses he tried so he didn’t finish them. He learns better with textbooks and labs. 

We used the Labpaq Biology Kit with the Miller Levine book for middle school Biology for DS13. Biology is one lab science that I would pay for a brick and mortar class for because the labs were the stinkiest among Physics, Chemistry and Biology labs. He puked for the dissection lab despite making sure we have adequate ventilation. 

We do have micro schools that offer AP Biology for intensive summer term and for academic year so if my kids change their mind and decide to take AP Biology, I’ll pay up to have them do it at one of the places. 

DS14 did find Campbell Biology AP edition readable and easy enough to understand, he does have a high reading stamina. 

• Like 1

The textbook DD's CTY teacher recommended is Campbell Biology.  

It may just be DD's teacher, but I wouldn't recommend CTY AP Bio.  Also, I believe from now on CTY requires outside proctors for tests.  Don't really have an alternate class to recommend; not much out there and that's how we ended up doing CTY.   The Thinkwell biology teacher is good.  DD enjoyed the videos (though long and many). 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately we don't have much in the way of dual enrollment or other live options.