Menu

What's with the ads?

Quill

Let’s play a round of “Career Counseling for, uh, the Mature”

Trying to shape up some plans for my post-homeschool life, which is coming soon to a theatre near me. 

My old experience B.C.: I was a Legal Secretary.

My recent experience throughout raising kids and hsing: Have done the secretarial and bookkeeping work for dh’s businesses (contracting and property management). I obtained an AA in general studies over five years, 2010-2015. 

So. Two main ideas I am considering:

1) I could do a Paralegal certification course online over the summer. I could go back to Legal Assistant. (I could also attempt to go back to Legal Sec. without getting the cert., but I think it will be a harder sell because I have been out of law during the whole time when the internet became a thing. I also think it “proves” I am willing to learn.)

2) I could do some other computer certifications and seek out Admin Assistant in any regular business. I know Quickbooks and other stuff (Word, some Office), but I haven’t used recent programs like Office 360 and my Quickbooks knowledge has been self-taught, so a class would be helpful. 

The main advantage in my mind for doing Paralegal cert is that I believe I can do that job well. The use of words, reading and writing really suits me. But I am also a little worried that the separation from the office I used to have is no longer even a thing. I’m not sure if current lawyers feel their assistants are simply always available to them. ? I did have a boss one time who felt it was outrageous that I was not available to him during my lunch break. I’m leery of that. 

The main advantage - I think - if I were an Admin Assistant in Joe Blow AnyOffice is there is probably more opportunity for growth and promotion. In law, there isn’t really that except for people who plan to get a juris doctorate. But in, for example, a company that makes hair products, there could be jobs in marketing or something else that I like and the suits me well. My SIL did this at one point (though I grant you, she was in her twenties, so that could be a difference). She was an Admin Assistant but she became some important person in the marketing department. It was a lucrative position. 

Lastly, this is a little bit terrifying. There is a part of me that doubts I have the nerve to actually carry this out. My fear of rejection is high. I didn’t even have such a fear when I was a mere baby. I applied for jobs with barely any thought to the posibility I would not get hired. It’s crazy how much foolish optimism I once had, lol! 

PS: Interesting coincidence. I was looking on Indeed and a branch of a firm I used to work at in Baltimore is advertising for Legal Assistant position. I looked on their website and there are some of the lawyers I once worked for, twenty-five years older. Less hair. 

• Like 5

I hear you on the fear. 

I have zero advice, as an also mature returner who can manage to string together bits of work, here and there, but seems utterly unqualified for any single job. 

I hope someone has some great advice for you!

• Like 3

Quill, it is all a balancing act.....some will value you less now, and some (wise ones) will value you more. You just have to find your people.

I have little doubt you can do whatever you attempt.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

PS: Interesting coincidence. I was looking on Indeed and a branch of a firm I used to work at in Baltimore is advertising for Legal Assistant position. I looked on their website and there are some of the lawyers I once worked for, twenty-five years older. Less hair. 

Do you think any of them would remember you?  If you think they would, and if you think their impression of your work was favorable, then apply for the job! Connections can be more important than formal retraining.   At the very least you can renew old connections and maybe get some on-the-ground advice on what retraining you would actually need for the job. 

• Like 9

I wish I had paralegal training...or aptitude.  I have two friends who are lawyers and they are going CRAZY looking for mature paralegals.  Young ones don’t show up on time/at all and often look like unmade beds when they do show up.   They pay better than what I could make as a mature marketer.  

I guess it depends on what you want...but I you like paralegaling and could see doing it for 10-15 years, I wouldn’t worry about career path.   I’d just be happy.  :0)

• Like 6

Apply for the job and if you don't get it, go for the certificate.  Don't bother with annoying secretary stuff.  It's fine if it's someone you love, but errandy stuff for a stranger is obnoxious.

• Like 3

I'd go for an admin job in that position... but I think of lawyers as being not fun to work for except in rare cases. But I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

Really though... if I were you, I'd invest in a few sessions with a career counselor who specializes in getting women back to work and later career changes and get advice that's really specific to you, your gifts, and your area. My friend is one and I'm really impressed with how she helps people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I'd go for an admin job in that position... but I think of lawyers as being not fun to work for except in rare cases. But I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

Really though... if I were you, I'd invest in a few sessions with a career counselor who specializes in getting women back to work and later career changes and get advice that's really specific to you, your gifts, and your area. My friend is one and I'm really impressed with how she helps people.

How much does something like this cost? Is your friend nearby enough to me that I could look her up? 

• Like 1

It might be easier than you think to get hired right now.  I have a friend that hasn't worked in 20 years as a legal something...not sure which position and someone she knows was in a pinch.  She is helping them out for the next few months until they can hopefully find someone.  Also dh was talking to one of his coworkers about me who has been out of engineering for about 10 years.  They would seriously consider me because they can only find people right out of college right now and some of them don't want to show up to work on a regular basis.  The market is tight right now and you just may very well get something quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quill said:

How much does something like this cost? Is your friend nearby enough to me that I could look her up? 

It’s not nothing, but nor is it crazy or unaffordable for many. I think professional services can pay off. She’s in Ellicott City, so possibly. I’ll PM you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

It’s not nothing, but nor is it crazy or unaffordable for many. I think professional services can pay off. She’s in Ellicott City, so possibly. I’ll PM you.

What a cool business. Does she do online counseling for clients out of state?!

Amy

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Acadie said:

What a cool business. Does she do online counseling for clients out of state?!

Amy

So, maybe? She apparently does Skype sessions. She's really great. I know she's licenced as a professional career counselor, but I'm not sure how that works from state to state. It may not be an issue... 

https://mltcareers.com/

• Like 2

Perhaps try this: A bit of positive self-talk and asking someone who is a trusted friend to give you a "kick" or just plain encourage you to jump in.

I returned after years of homeschooling to a different field (did the academic work partly during homeschooling) and have been having primarily positive experiences. Sure I have applied for some positions I did not get. Happens to all of us and just like you - I remembered that I rarely worried about any of this when I was younger. If I am understanding your situation correctly, you are not forced to support the family and have to take anything that comes along and you can take your time and be selective about the positions you want to consider. 

And a bit of pep talk to yourself can work wonders. Get in the habit of thinking "I find this interesting and I will pursue it," "I know I would do well at this job, I will apply and see what happens." 

• Like 3