Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
SanDiegoMom in VA

Guarantor Form for Lease Q's

Has anyone signed a guarantor form for their college kid's apartment lease? I was wondering how much information it is normal for them to request.  Right now my daughter is trying to get a lease on an apartment and the guarantor form asks for checking account numbers, credit card numbers, make and model of our car, social security numbers... Obviously we think this is way too much just to be approved for a lease.  We assumed they just needed to run a credit check, but that's a lot of information! 

This is around UCLA and apartments are expensive and hard to get -- not sure if that is playing into the equation?

Thanks so much!

I don't know if your DD is rooming with someone or if she is by herself, but when I had a guarantor for my first apartment in So Cal after I lost my house, they asked for the exact same information as what I gave them.  So if they asked all that information from your DD, I'd say it's normal.  If they didn't, I dunno....

It's my understanding that a "guarantor form" is really just a different name for " who the heck is paying for it, and can we actually trust YOU to pay the rent since we already know we can't trust the college student."

So basically, anything you might find if you were trying to get your own apartment, you would find there....because it basically IS your own apartment, that you happen to let your kid live in.  

• Like 3

It's been so long since we rented ourselves, so I guess we just didn't realize how personal it could get! Plus there's the whole cyber security issue. Just email us, random apartment building, all of your most intimate data. Don't worry, if you don't actually end up leasing the apartment we shred all of it! Right... 

My husband is calling them tomorrow. We are usually not conspiracists or anything, but this just feels... sloppy. 

My kids have actually been able to sign leases without all of that but my friend had to do pretty extensive paperwork to be the guarantor in her dd’s college apartment in Boston. All we had to do for my ds in FL was sign a form. No further info. But much lower cost.

I don’t find it fishy but I do find it annoying and intrusive.  I went to college in the 90’s when they would give college kids all kinds of credit and not require guarantors for apartments. I’m glad no one is signing my kids up for credit cards in the student union but I don’t like the idea of handing over all my personal info for a student apartment either. 

My oldest is going to be a senior and moving off campus for the first time. He and three friends are renting a house in a neighborhood nearby but definitely not typical student housing. The landlord has done reference checks, background, and credit checks on the guys and took them at their words for what their summer jobs will net. I was prepared to have to sign for him too but I appreciate the landlord doing his legwork and then giving them a shot without their parents getting involved.