Menu

What's with the ads?

nopenope

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor. TM or comparable book

We checked this book out from the library and there's no question, I am buying a copy too. DS loves it! I think it's pretty neat.

I really need a Teacher's Guide or answer key, though. 

So, does anyone have any idea where I can get a TM that costs less than 100$? (!) or does anyone know of a similar text that we should check out? It seems so unique to me, but maybe I am just out of the loop.

It's pretty unique.

My rec is to think of the TM as a lease. I've never seen one go for less than about $50 and usually for more. You'll be able to resell it easily. You can also wait... I think I got mine for about $90? Or maybe it was less. They do occasionally pop up and get found. And it's possible that a huge cache will turn up and come on the market. That happened with Dolciani Pre-A TM, which was infamously hard for find for years and then suddenly a huge number of used ones popped up for more like $30 for awhile.

PS... to anyone curious... I'm happy to snap you an individual page and send it it to you if you need an answer or two to a confusing problem if you decide to go without it. They're not all easy peasy to do. And while they're probably within most people's capability, the time investment is not worth it for a lot of us for whom solving some of those problems isn't quick. I have to teach and prep and cook dinner and so forth - I can't draw out every billiard ball path like I'm asking my kids to do!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I can't draw out every billiard ball path like I'm asking my kids to do!

Ha, yep!

• Like 1

It might be timing for when people are looking to sell curricula. I lucked out and found one on Abe books last November for $15. For sure, I know I can resell my set for a lot more.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

Wow. $15 really is a steal. I see the book for that little all the time, but the TM is a find.

To answer the OP's original question, I'm not sure there is a book that would be similar. 

But there are some fun math books like Michael Serra's books: Smart Moves, Pirate Math and Patty Paper Geometry

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

$64 for an older edition of the TM:
https://www.amazon.com/Instructors-Guide-Accompany-Mathematics-Endeavor/dp/B00409OB2A/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1P4APZK9XY40L&keywords=mathematics+a+human+endeavor&qid=1554697080&s=gateway&sprefix=mathematics+a+hum%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-12

Everything else I saw was a good bit more... Not sure how that one compares. I understand why there are few left. For one thing, there's always fewer TM's. But for another, the main edition is a paperback. That's not going to hold up that well.

• Like 1

I think the 3rd edition TM are easier/cheaper to find than the 2nd or 1st edition.  So if the TM is important to you then limit your search to 3rd edition (red cover) student books and not the white cover books.  (But if you want a white cover edition, I have one to sell ... cough, cough ... because I wanted a reasonably priced TM too 😄. )

I just requested one through ILL -- I won't be able to keep it, but I will have it long enough to copy down some information or scan a page or two, within the limits of copyright law, of course, and for my own personal use. Plus, its free 😀

Yeah I got the textbook for four dollars! The difference between the costs of  the two books would be humorous if it wasn't actively being a bummer 😄

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

$64 for an older edition of the TM:
https://www.amazon.com/Instructors-Guide-Accompany-Mathematics-Endeavor/dp/B00409OB2A/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1P4APZK9XY40L&keywords=mathematics+a+human+endeavor&qid=1554697080&s=gateway&sprefix=mathematics+a+hum%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-12

Everything else I saw was a good bit more... Not sure how that one compares. I understand why there are few left. For one thing, there's always fewer TM's. But for another, the main edition is a paperback. That's not going to hold up that well.

And also once you are lucky enough to score a TM for such a niche book, you never want to let it go. We are about to move (for the very last time, I hope!), and I am culling all our belongings like crazy. But you will have to pry my Human Endeavor TM out of my cold, dead hands...along with the Jacobs Geometry test book and my TM for Warriner’s Conplete Course and.... What can I say? These things bring me joy! LOL

Good luck, OKBud! It is worth every penny if you find one.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

And also once you are lucky enough to score a TM for such a niche book, you never want to let it go. We are about to move (for the very last time, I hope!), and I am culling all our belongings like crazy. But you will have to pry my Human Endeavor TM out of my cold, dead hands...along with the Jacobs Geometry test book and my TM for Warriner’s Conplete Course and.... What can I say? These things bring me joy! LOL

Good luck, OKBud! It is worth every penny if you find one.

No kidding. The TM for Warriner's is currently over $1,300. It makes the TM for Mathematics a Human Endeavor look like a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/Warriners-English-Grammar-Composition-1982-05-03/dp/B01FGLW32A/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=warriner’s+complete+course&qid=1554739304&s=gateway&sr=8-10

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine is for the 1988 Benchmark Ed, which I don’t see listed at all anymore. It is hardcover and in like new condition, which is insane! Even more insane is that I paid $39.98! 

If you are willing to circle like a hawk, lol, I guess anything is possible!

• Like 2

So true, @Alte Veste Academy ! I am six weeks away from being done as a homeschool mom, but I am keeping my TM to Mathematics as a Human Endeavor forever!

On the other hand, I do not feel attached to the Jacob's Geometry tests. I'll keep the textbook for sure.  I'd like to get rid of the tests. I don't know yet how I feel about letting go of the TM!

(If anyone is interested in the 2nd edition test book, shoot me a PM. I'd sell it for a lot less than what I see it currently listed for. I simply do not have time to list things until we get through graduation.)

Good luck, OK Bud. I think I did pay nearly $100 for my TM. Farrar's idea of thinking about it as a lease is a good one. It does seem to retain its popularity, unlike some other homeschool books that fall out of favor.

• Like 3