Menu

CLRC Literature and Composition?

Has any of your students taken a CLRC Literature and Composition class? How much did it help your child’s writing? Did they provide  feedback on writing? Were they good preparation for high school writing? Did your student have Seraphim Winslow? My child needs to develop his writing skills. 

I posted in another forum. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback you can please provide. Please PM me, if you prefer.

Thanks much. 

Edited by flor
  • Like 2

UOK. Let me take a stab at it.

CLRC doesn’t “teach” writing in a way IEW does, for example. So Intro to Lit starts out by assigning its first essay fairly early in the semester. She will go over how to do it and give out instructions what/how the essay is written. So there is instruction but not hand holding. In addition to essays she assigns summaries and critical thinking questions to write about. It’s really an excellent course with proper amount of writing. So if you have a struggling writer or a student who needs a lot of hand holding, go to Lange instead.

and yea, plenty of feedback on assignments. Plenty!

intermediate Lit had very little writing - mostly just essays and at the time (she was new when one of my kids took that class) was run more like a college class - no weekly writing assignments. British Lit also doesn’t have as much writing (mostly 3-4 essays per year). However the quality of literature read and discussion is excellent. 

So I would say my middle schooler (who isn’t a liberal arts kid but is a very capable student) started out in Intro not knowing was a thesis was and can now competently write an essay with no help from me, and can even do a timed essay. CLRC Lit courses have 2 hour exams at the end of each semester that include an hour for timed essay. 

If I were doing this again, I would go with lange, then Intro to Lit, then either British or American Lit.

and no, we haven’t had Winslow.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@Roadrunner That is super helpful information for me. I was looking at CLRC and Potter's School with a leaning towards Potter's school due to more writing instruction. I wish we could afford Lange. Boo.  

If you go with Intro at CLRC, he doesn’t have to be independent. A middle schooler isn’t using those grades on a transcript, so you can sit down and write the first essay with him, providing more hands on instruction on topic sentences and supporting evidence. Then give half the help on the second essay and by second semester he will be doing most work on his own. 

• Like 3