Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

LAmom

Plane tickets to Germany/ tips

Recommended Posts

Hi! I'm planning a trip for myself and my husband in September. We will go to Augsburg (grew up going there), Munich, Berlin, Wittenberg, etc.  I am wondering tips on what you think is an average good deal on flights to Europe. It looks like London is around 400-500 from LAX. I found tickets for $650 on Singapore Airlines to Frankfurt. I was hoping fo $500 (or less!) each but don't know if that is realistic. 

Also, if you live in Germany or visited one of the places mentioned, I'd love any tips on places to stay (hotels, areas) and favorite things you did. I haven't been to Germany in 20 years! 

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my (sad) hobbies is watching airfare to Europe so I agree that from LAX I think $650 is a pretty good deal. You could fly into London and then book a separate low-cost fare to Germany but usually after you add up the fees (especially luggage) you may not save much. One thing I always do is look at surrounding airports I'm willing to fly out of or into. For me, as I'm in Charlotte, I expand my horizons to include flights from Atlanta, Raleigh and even DC. For us, Germany is more expensive to fly into than other surrounding countries for some reason. Last time we went to Europe we flew into Zurich and made our way over to Bavaria. This time, in a few weeks, we are flying into Venice and making our way north to Berchtesgaden (Germany) afterwards. Our tickets from NC to Venice were about $500. But that depends on how inconvenienced you want to be. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to Germany three years ago. I don’t recall the ticket prices because we used points, but we did visit both Berlin and Munich. We did wonderful bike tours in both cities. Both included lunch stops at beer gardens in the very large parks in the cities. They covered lots of the major attractions and were very fun and informative. In Berlin, we also toured a Stasi prison with a former inmate as a guide and did the self guided audio tour of the Palace of Tears. We also spent quite a bit of time on Museum Island. Hotel Otto was a very convenient location for us. Besides the bike tour in Munich, we took a trip to tour Dachau. We enjoyed our stay at Stadt Rosenheim, right near one of the main train stations. There’s a wonderful gelato place, in addition to lots of other places to eat, very near by.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awhile back we found better prices by flying into Munich than Frankfurt on Lufthansa, so that is something to consider. 

I use a Rick Steves guide book for trips to Germany, and I'm always happy with his hotel suggestions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you fly from PeppermintPattie? I’m in Los Angeles. Lufthansa would be great but they are high priced right now. How soon before your trip did you book? I’ve been watching FRA, MUC, and Berlin. You paid less than $650 on Lufthansa?!

The trip is 5 months away so I’m nervous about booking already. But if tickets go higher than $650 then we may not be able to go. Tight budget! The cheaper tickets don’t allow cancellation. 

Edited by LAmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

650 is ok, not great.  Especially because you are going to be going in low season. 

Set an alert on the travel deal sights

stay on secretflying.com  and theflightdeal

I see lots of deals to Europe in downtime for $300 ish

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/deal-alert-us-to-frankfurt-london-from-334-rt/

Based on trends from the last few years you are going to see sales to Europe 4-6 times a year.  Where prices are 400-500.  But like I said there are deals already to Europe for the summer and late August, Sept, and Oct already that are in the 300s and 200s depending on where you are. 

Have you thought about travel hacking for it?  You would probably be able to work some. 

You could get 2 Barclay Aviator cards that give you 60,000 miles after your first purchase and the AF.   That would give you 2 tickets to Europe in high season.   I think yours would be off season so you would have more miles than you need. 

Or a CSP that would give you 60k points after you meet the spend that you could use for your flights.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphirepreferred/compare?CELL=6H8X&AFFID=pngc6t7Ewoo-kg83xffKbXSMC50O7WlGdA&pvid=427e412e97e944f380102bffda902e6a&jp_cmp=cc/657791/aff/3-10003173/na

 

Or something that you could just use towards your tickets or other travel expenses like these cards

Barclay Arrival gives you 70 points that are worth 700

https://cards.barclaycardus.com/banking/cards/barclaycard-arrival-plus-world-elite-mastercard/

Or a Capital One Savor that will give you $500 after you meet the spend.

 

Or you could get a Chase Disney card that gives you a $250 statement credit when you charge $500

https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/disney

 

Edited by mommyoffive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LAmom said:

Where did you fly from PeppermintPattie? I’m in Los Angeles. Lufthansa would be great but they are high priced right now. How soon before your trip did you book? I’ve been watching FRA, MUC, and Berlin. You paid less than $650 on Lufthansa?!

The trip is 5 months away so I’m nervous about booking already. But if tickets go higher than $650 then we may not be able to go. Tight budget! The cheaper tickets don’t allow cancellation. 

We flew from San Francisco, but I don't remember what we paid. My experience is that the earlier you can book, the better price you'll get. Also, check flights in October, if you can go then as they'll be even less. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$650 round trip is a very good price. I typically find anything under $900 to be good pricing (over the past three years). For the best prices, plan to travel light (carry -ons). I usually use Google Flights to search for good deals and set alerts. Then I get emails when the price changes. I've seen less than $500 RT to Europe via Iceland Air from the West Coast, but when those deals appear, be prepared to commit to purchasing quickly. Prices like that usually dry up quickly. Overall, I like Iceland Air for cheap tickets and also the flight to Reykjavik is 7-8 hours and then you can stretch your legs before continuing on to Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LAmom said:

Hi! I'm planning a trip for myself and my husband in September. We will go to Augsburg (grew up going there), Munich, Berlin, Wittenberg, etc.  I am wondering tips on what you think is an average good deal on flights to Europe. It looks like London is around 400-500 from LAX. I found tickets for $650 on Singapore Airlines to Frankfurt. I was hoping fo $500 (or less!) each but don't know if that is realistic. 

Also, if you live in Germany or visited one of the places mentioned, I'd love any tips on places to stay (hotels, areas) and favorite things you did. I haven't been to Germany in 20 years! 

 

Thanks!

 

Those are REALLY good prices. Snag them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick Steve's Audio Europe app has a new section just about Martin Luther! 

And September in Germany is absolutely gorgeous. You are going to love it!

I'm closer to Amsterdam than Berlin, but I'm seeing round trips from DFW to Germany for 500 euros per person. That's about $560.  I think that's a very good price. You might try skyscanner.com as another search engine and expand the search to other airports. I can sometimes save over 100 euros per ticket by using a different airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP   I have two (2) suggestions for you:

(1) If your dates are flexible sign up for the Free Mailing list from Scotts Cheap Flights. Indicate your home airport.  https://scottscheapflights.com/   They will send you occasional email newsletters.  If one of them has an offer you like, book it, IMMEDIATELY.

(2) If you dates are in concrete, do what we did a few days ago: I begin on Google Flights.  Find the best combination of Fare and Schedule and Airline, then add in the "upsells" and then book it.  (Google flights will usually show you if the price is higher or lower than normal)  Also, you can click to see days before and after the date you put into the form to check for fares.  If  your dates are in concrete, I suggest booking now, because there are a limited number of seats on each aircraft and once they are gone...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we went to Austria last year - flew out of sea-tac and did air Canada and partner airlines through toronto.   we transferred in brussels to vienna.  I admit, I liked brussels airlines A LOT.  (though going, it was an older airbus without personal vents, and I became ill because of it.   I finally plopped down in the rear galley because it was so much cooler.  the F/A's were great at trying to help me though. I didn't know a standard offering is cold wet washcloths. I went through quite a few on that flight.) - by far the rudest F/A of almost any airline I've ever flown, was an air Canada attendant.  

I don't know how much it was - because I refused to do the arrangements and made dh.  (normally, I do it all.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey glad I found this thread again.  There is a Euro sale going on.   Scott's cheap flights just sent it out.  

 

TO:

Berlin (TXL)

Brussels (BRU)

Düsseldorf (DUS)

Frankfurt (FRA)

Geneva (GVA)

Hamburg (HAM)

London (LGW)

Vienna (VIE)

Zurich (ZRH)

 

FROM:

Baltimore (BWI) - $404

Denver (DEN) - $404

Houston (IAH) - $404

San Francisco (SFO) - $404

San Jose (SJC) - $404

Washington DC (DCA) - $405

Washington DC (IAD) - $404

 

 

WHEN: Varies greatly by route. Generally September 2019 through early March 2020, including some Thanksgiving but all excluding Xmas/NYE

NORMAL PRICE: $850+

AIRLINE(S): American, British Airways

BUY BY: We think these fares will last 1-2 days

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if $650 is a "great deal" from LAX, but I highly recommend the airline.  Singapore Airlines is the best in the world and it shows.  I've flown across the globe many times on many different airlines, but Singapore Airlines deserves the accolades.  It might be worth spending a bit extra for such a special trip.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Hey glad I found this thread again.  There is a Euro sale going on.   Scott's cheap flights just sent it out.  

 

TO:

Berlin (TXL)

Brussels (BRU)

Düsseldorf (DUS)

Frankfurt (FRA)

Geneva (GVA)

Hamburg (HAM)

London (LGW)

Vienna (VIE)

Zurich (ZRH)

 

FROM:

Baltimore (BWI) - $404

Denver (DEN) - $404

Houston (IAH) - $404

San Francisco (SFO) - $404

San Jose (SJC) - $404

Washington DC (DCA) - $405

Washington DC (IAD) - $404

 

 

WHEN: Varies greatly by route. Generally September 2019 through early March 2020, including some Thanksgiving but all excluding Xmas/NYE

NORMAL PRICE: $850+

AIRLINE(S): American, British Airways

BUY BY: We think these fares will last 1-2 days

 

Now this would be great! No LAX though. 😞 I wonder if they will have that sale soon. Ack. I could get there from SFO for $900 for two. I like that better that $1300 but we'd still have to get to SFO. By the time I book separate tickets, etc., I'm not sure it is worth the cost difference. BUT, thanks for the heads up. I signed up for notifications from LAX. So far no Germany. :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LAmom said:

 

Now this would be great! No LAX though. 😞 I wonder if they will have that sale soon. Ack. I could get there from SFO for $900 for two. I like that better that $1300 but we'd still have to get to SFO. By the time I book separate tickets, etc., I'm not sure it is worth the cost difference. BUT, thanks for the heads up. I signed up for notifications from LAX. So far no Germany. 😛

 

I bet they will follow.  From the trends that I have seen it starts with a handful of airports and then spreads to every airport around the country.   I will keep my eyes open for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...