Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Tap

WWYD? Appliance question

Recommended Posts

My glass top stove broke after 18 years of heavy use. At the same time, our refrigerator is giving up too.  All of our current appliances are white. It is hard to find white appliances and I wonder if it is wise to buy white anymore since they are getting harder and harder to find (few options and all special order). I don't really care what color they are as long as they match, and they are not shiny black.  

Would you buy all new appliances in stainless (actually like the black stainless option best) which means replacing the 18yo workhorse of a dishwasher and micro hood too? They both work great, but I don't want mixed colors. And they are 18years old, so who knows how much longer they will last.  This adds about $1200-1500 and I am financing them so a smidge of interest too.  (Dh just had surgery this month so out savings went to pay for that.)

Or..would you just buy the stove and fridge in white and hope the others last a few more years? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would buy the new appliance in the color that I want them all to be eventually.  Then I would replace as things wear out.  As you say, the other appliances are probably going to need to be replaced sooner than later.  I would not replace things that don't need replacing yet.  (And yes, I know that you don't want mixed colors but my opinion is that I would put up with that for a few years.) 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I faced this with a new fridge, and what I did was buy a beater fridge (noisy, dented, returned, half price or less, like $200 or so) and put it in the basement.  Then I used that while I shopped at length for the quiet white fridge with good space and no water handling that I really wanted.  Really glad I did this.  The beater fridge is fantastic for overflow use, and although I did not enjoy running up and down the stairs for things in the interim, it helped me to end up with a fridge in the kitchen that I really actually love.  And yes, I got white, and yes, I did have to order it.  Since I had the beater fridge I was not in a huge rush.  

I really, really feel strongly that since I tend to keep appliances for a very long time, getting what I really want is what I should try to do.  If you really want white, you can get it.  (Almond, OTOH, is probably impossible these days.  But you can still find white if you try.)  

Also, pro tip about the stove--I seriously considered replacing my older boring stove with a new spiffy one, and found one that had all the features I wanted--5 burners, including a large high power one in the middle and a pretty high BTU one in the right front.  But I thought that the burners themselves looked like they were weirdly close together so I measured them and compared with my old boring stove, and actually because of the back splash being more fancy AND the space taken up for the spiffy new electronic control panel instead of front controls, the burners on the new spiffy stove were very crowded together compared those on my old stove.  Undaunted I brought in typical pots and pans that I would use and DANG, found that I'd be using only 1-2 burners a time on the new spiffy stove, whereas I could use 3-4 at a time on my old boring workhorse.  Needless to say, I still have the old boring workhorse.  In almond, dang it, the only almond thing I own.  But anyway, word to the wise--if you're looking at new stoves, check them carefully.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Carol in Cal, for the info on the stove top. I was thinking the same thing today when I saw them in the store. There were basic stoves like what I have and fancier ones with various features. The ones with the extra burners looked crunched on the work space. I was thinking the same thing....I use big pans, i feed a family. There was often one large burner and several small ones. That isn't going to work well for me. What is the point of a 'warming burner' anyways. LOL I just put a smaller burner on low, and use that. LOL  

I wish I had a spot for an extra fridge, but unfortunately don't. I will have to order and go with it. blah.....

Wanna share what you found in a great white fridge? Especially if  it was recent and maybe still sold :0) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would buy the new appliance in the color that I want them all to be eventually.  Then I would replace as things wear out.  As you say, the other appliances are probably going to need to be replaced sooner than later.  I would not replace things that don't need replacing yet.  (And yes, I know that you don't want mixed colors but my opinion is that I would put up with that for a few years.) 

I can have mixed appliances, but it would really depress me. We have steady fallen economically for the past 7 years and we will likely never be completely stable again. Dh took a 25% pay decrease, so he can have less stress, and doesn't plan on changing anytime soon. I am working a 40 hour a week job and an extra day at my old job to pay for these appliances. So the money will come, it just means I have to work longer for it.  It would seriously depress me, even more,  to walk in and see miss matched appliances in my home. My home is not fancy, the appliance money is coming from money I was planning to use to replace 18yo carpet. 

 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got new white appliances and didn't have any trouble finding them - no special orders, either. We got a Bosch dishwasher, GE cooktop, and KitchenAid oven. All came from Lowe's. We also got a GE fridge that is slate. We have white cabinets and gray limestone countertops, and the mix of white and slate appliances looks good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lowe’s, Home Depot and most specialty stores let you sort by color. If the thought of adding a stainless appliance puts you over the edge, I would stick with white rather than switching everything over....especially as many older appliances seem more reliable than newer stuff.

We had to replace our oven and microwave last year when they both died. If anything, we saw that stainless is going out of favor a tiny bit. We saw more mixed metals and colored appliances in the high end showrooms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We replaced all appliances over about 15 months and went from white to stainless. We didn't want debt so we just bought them one at a time as we had the money--fridge then dishwasher then stove and microwave together. It was fine having mixed colors for awhile, and so exciting to get each new piece that worked correctly! The microwave was the only thing that didn't need replacing, but we just got a new one to match everything else (and it's by far the cheapest one).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to have all white. The dishwasher broke and we went with white again, but when the microwave broke, we could not find white, so we went with stainless. The fridge and stove are ageing too...long story short, I wish we had gone with stainless for the dishwasher, so that eventually everything will match.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to repair the stove yourself? We're repairing our frig right now too, sigh. We have it apart and we're hoping it's one of the fans or the defroster unit, not the compressor. (Can't replace the compressor, would have to replace the whole frig, sigh.) We use Repair Clinic for the parts. It's not necessarily a fun thing, but it might save you some money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a kitchen remodel and put my mismatched appliances back in. Hey, they still worked. The frig did go out and I did replace that to match my stainless stove and microwave. The dishwasher is almond color and after 10 years of living here, it’s still working. When it goes, I will replace it with stainless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the financial thing I would check the Habitat for Humanity ReStores around you to replace just the broken things with something used- really cheap but functional - until you can afford to pay cash for an all-matching bundle, maybe at one of the holiday sales for extra discount.  Would you have time to save for them by July 4th or Labor Day?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Katy said:

Given the financial thing I would check the Habitat for Humanity ReStores around you to replace just the broken things with something used- really cheap but functional - until you can afford to pay cash for an all-matching bundle, maybe at one of the holiday sales for extra discount.  Would you have time to save for them by July 4th or Labor Day?

I can at least be pretty close by July, I can have $3000-4000 by the end of June.  I changed jobs so I have extra vacation pay coming, plus my extra pay, and am only putting 5% in retirement right now ( I usually put in 20%).  All the little bits will add up pretty quick, I just need a couple of months.

I am creeped out by buying used appliances. I worry about getting something carrying cockroach eggs or something. LOL I hate to try to save money and end up with an exterminator bill instead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not replace anything before it’s time. IME older appliances were often longer lasting than new ones.

We have mostly white (with black top for our stove), but new items may be stainless. Though last things needing replacement— washer dryer , I got white, with stainless trim.  

(The fridge I want only comes stainless front, But all other items have choice.)  

 Imo stainless, white and black go fine together.  And there are non appliance items in  white black and stainless.  To me they are all “neutral”

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as I've replaced appliances, I've gotten stainless.   the only white I still have is my stove - which I really like and am not eager to replace.  (I liked my old dishwasher better than this one too.)

 

eta: I do think white will always be available.   I have ordered most of my appliances as I have gotten better prices that way.  but my fridge died, so replacing it had to be done on the fly asap.  (I'd had it in my dining room while replacing my kitchen floor. it worked fine. put it back in the kitchen - and it had stopped working.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This, I would buy stove in white now.  Fridge in white asap.  And wait on other items till you are ready.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you seen these GE Cafe matte white appliances? They're so beautiful!  I just bought the matte black dishwasher and can't wait until I get to purchase the stove and fridge too. You get to choose the handle colors.

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CAFRERADWRH1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=CAFRERADWRH1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrbWi_-684QIVQ7bACh25KgyyEAYYASABEgKYl_D_BwE

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought white appliances recently.  I didn't have trouble finding the ones I wanted in white...and in many cases they were cheaper.  If you like white, stay with that.  If you want stainless then go that way.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

You get to choose the handle colors.

 

And while copper is beautiful, if stainless were chosen it would help to bring in a future all stainless item if needed.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tap said:

Thanks Carol in Cal, for the info on the stove top. I was thinking the same thing today when I saw them in the store. There were basic stoves like what I have and fancier ones with various features. The ones with the extra burners looked crunched on the work space. I was thinking the same thing....I use big pans, i feed a family. There was often one large burner and several small ones. That isn't going to work well for me. What is the point of a 'warming burner' anyways. LOL I just put a smaller burner on low, and use that. LOL  

I wish I had a spot for an extra fridge, but unfortunately don't. I will have to order and go with it. blah.....

Wanna share what you found in a great white fridge? Especially if  it was recent and maybe still sold :0) 

I got a medium sized Samsung with a top freezer compartment.  I wanted a bottom freezer but the thing that made me get this is that the freezer compartment is switchable between freezer and fridge temperatures, SO it doesn't have a preinstalled ice maker SO I could avoid losing all that space for that or water handling.  Plus not hooking up an ice maker means it's much quieter, which was one of my top priorities.  I actually hunted one down that was plugged in at a store, turned the temperature down as far as it would go, opened the doors, waited for the compressor to come on, and listened to it from all sides to make sure it was really as quiet as I thought it was.  And it was.  

The only thing I don't like about it is that the motor is a bit underspeced, as they all are these days to save energy, and if the kitchen is hot like during the summer the temperature is not as cold in the fridge as I am used to.  So I stash my meat in the freezer if I have more than 2 days worth, or in the beater fridge in the basement, and that way I am not worried about it spoiling faster.  The rest of the food is fine but I am concerned about the meat if I don't pay attention.  I used to keep about four-five days worth in the fridge routinely but am not confident enough to do that in the summer anymore.  Other than that, I love this fridge.  It's about a year old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw I knew someone whose business was refinishing/ recoloring appliances when people wanted to update color look without buying  new appliances.    Don’t know if To / from stainless was possible , but to/from white and other colors could be done.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would buy the white appliances you need now, because I love white appliances in the kitchen.  I think white is going to come back in style and you'll be able to find other white appliances when you need them in the future.  🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tap said:

My glass top stove broke after 18 years of heavy use. At the same time, our refrigerator is giving up too.  All of our current appliances are white. It is hard to find white appliances and I wonder if it is wise to buy white anymore since they are getting harder and harder to find (few options and all special order). I don't really care what color they are as long as they match, and they are not shiny black.  

Would you buy all new appliances in stainless (actually like the black stainless option best) which means replacing the 18yo workhorse of a dishwasher and micro hood too? They both work great, but I don't want mixed colors. And they are 18years old, so who knows how much longer they will last.  This adds about $1200-1500 and I am financing them so a smidge of interest too.  (Dh just had surgery this month so out savings went to pay for that.)

Or..would you just buy the stove and fridge in white and hope the others last a few more years? 

 

I would replace appliances as they lost in the color you want and deal with color mismatch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like your current stove and fridge, see if they are fixable.  The glass tops can be replaced, you could even do it yourself if you wanted.  Appliances are such a gamble these days with repair costs, which is mostly a function of a shortage of skilled labor.   They don't wear out as often as in the good old days when people cooked HARD and appliances were more expensive (relative to income of course), but you never know what the repairs are going to cost. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to consider is that if you buy a “suite” of appliances, you may get a sizeable discount. As in getting the dishwasher or microwave practically free.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first pick would be to buy the two you need now in white (I like white appliances too) by just hunting them down or special ordering them. Otherwise, I’d just buy all new in the color you want. If mismatched appliances are going to really bother you, then don’t do it. It’s not worth it IMO!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look on craigslist, etc.. So many people upgrade and change things you might find something that will work in white that won't cost you too much. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, barnwife said:

If you like your current stove and fridge, see if they are fixable.  The glass tops can be replaced, you could even do it yourself if you wanted.  Appliances are such a gamble these days with repair costs, which is mostly a function of a shortage of skilled labor.   They don't wear out as often as in the good old days when people cooked HARD and appliances were more expensive (relative to income of course), but you never know what the repairs are going to cost. 

We called around. One shop could get the top and it was $450. A whole range is just a bit more than that. LOL  I looked at second hand places as well to see if we could get one there, and I couldn't find the same top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I would not replace workhorse appliances! They may last for years yet, it's impossible to tell. 

First choice, I would replace as needed in white. It's easy and I don't care, lol. If I really wanted to move to something new, I'd buy whatever I wanted and use appliance paint or magnetic vinyl skins to have the old ones match. Is there a chance an old one will conk out just as you update it? Yes, but only a chance, and you're risking a smaller amount of money. New appliances to replace working ones is a definite and larger cost, and you run the chance of getting something of poorer quality than you already have. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tap said:

I can have mixed appliances, but it would really depress me. We have steady fallen economically for the past 7 years and we will likely never be completely stable again. Dh took a 25% pay decrease, so he can have less stress, and doesn't plan on changing anytime soon. I am working a 40 hour a week job and an extra day at my old job to pay for these appliances. So the money will come, it just means I have to work longer for it.  It would seriously depress me, even more,  to walk in and see miss matched appliances in my home. My home is not fancy, the appliance money is coming from money I was planning to use to replace 18yo carpet. 

 

What about just getting some of those appliance cover things?  I mean they have those cutesy themed ones, but I think they also have plain colored ones too.  And while you can't change out the button panels or whatever, a lot of times the hardware like fridge door handles can be changed out to match.  That might be an inexpensive way to have the appliances be matching, without the expense of replacing a fully functional appliance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

One thing to consider is that if you buy a “suite” of appliances, you may get a sizeable discount. As in getting the dishwasher or microwave practically free.

Trust me, if you have an old workhorse dishwasher you do NOT want a new one.

We finally were forced to get a new one last year or the year before.  We bought the absolute top of the line Kitchen Aide, the best non-Miele dishwasher we could find.  It washes the dishes alright, but we have to buy special Multi-X pods for it, it takes almost three hours to finish a load, the gasket is pulled out by the top utensil min-rack repeatedly, and it has leaked onto the floor twice already.  It is dead quiet but other than that it is a step down from our old reliable until it was over 30 years old Kitchen Aide that they no longer make replacement parts for.

I think that the new energy requirements have really tanked the functional performance of many appliances, especially dishwashers, fridges, and washing machines.  I would not replace an old one if I could help it.  No way and no how.  

(OTOH, you might buy the suite and sell the pieces you don't want in order to help finance the ones that you do need.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tap said:

We called around. One shop could get the top and it was $450. A whole range is just a bit more than that. LOL  I looked at second hand places as well to see if we could get one there, and I couldn't find the same top.

If you like it, I think this would be the most economical way to go and then you would end up with what you really want.  In the meantime, hunt hard for a white fridge that you want so you can swap it in when the old one finally fails.  

BTW, this is more or less the fridge we got except that we declined the ice maker:  https://www.airportappliance.com/refrigerators/top-mount/top-freezer-refrigerators/RT18M6215WW/

The flexzone part is the freezer compartment.  It's on the small side but you're not losing the space to the ice maker(s) and water/ice dispensers so it has more storage room than a typical fridge of this cubic footage.  

It's WHITE!  How I got stubborn about white is I hung a dark piece of fabric up in the fridge spot, and lived with it.  I hated the way it made the room look darker.  Fridges are big, and they kind of dominate the landscape.  

My best advice--get what you really want (hold out for it) and keep the old stuff that works as long as you possibly can.  Sooner or later the manufacturers will need to get smarter and start making reliable appliances again, I hope, but that is definitely not happening right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...