Menu

American history help

I have an upcoming dyslexic, dysgraphia 6th grader and an upcoming 5th grader who work together. I also have an upcoming 9th grader with virtually no school history. I need American history that will work for them. My oldest is a reader and a history buff, so for her, I used the story of us as a spine and cobbled together lots of books and texts and other things to go along. None of that will work with this crew. I don’t mind reading, but can’t spend hours a day doing it. We tried story of the world a couple of years ago and while they listened ok, they didn’t get anything out of it and didn’t miss it when I dropped it. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you're open to Christian curriculum, look at Notgrass America the Beautiful. 

It's aimed at 5th-8th grade so it agewise it can fit the younger kids and not be too babyish for the 9th grader.

The text is relatively simple and full of beautiful pictures but still has great information.

There's a series of literature books scheduled with the text. You could use them as readalouds.

There's a workbook (you could do this orally if necessary) as well as a pretty simple timeline book and map book.

• Like 1

We're using a combination of audiobooks and kindle books from the series "Drama of American History" by Collier.  We are through the first book so far, and the 2 oldest found it interesting.  We've added in lots of literature for our US history, including picture books.  I used a lot of the SOTW3 booklists to find those.  

Adding in Liberty's Kids DVD series, and a lot of historical graphic novels as well.  Some are biographical, some are subject specific, some are war specific.  My kids just seem to really love graphic novels and will read and re-read, so I figure they are absorbing more that way.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 3:01 AM, kentuckymom said:

If you're open to Christian curriculum, look at Notgrass America the Beautiful. 

It's aimed at 5th-8th grade so it agewise it can fit the younger kids and not be too babyish for the 9th grader.

The text is relatively simple and full of beautiful pictures but still has great information.

There's a series of literature books scheduled with the text. You could use them as readalouds.

There's a workbook (you could do this orally if necessary) as well as a pretty simple timeline book and map book.

I agree.  I really like Notgrass.