Menu

Both kids in the same online class for lit/comp??

Would you do this? I am not finding options that allow me to split them easily, unless my oldest tests out of lower level, and I don't know that he will.  They are 21 months apart but one year apart in terms of school (rising 7th and 8th)  TIA!!

I might have the option of choosing a different provider for each. That seems . . . complicated.  

Any BTDT advice on this??

ETA: it looks like at CLRC I could do Upper Elementary Language Arts for my youngest ( literature included?) while my oldest does the Intro to Lit and Comp. However, no class times are listed for this class so I can't be sure we'll be available (our Wednesdays are tied up). 

Edited by cintinative

I know you're looking at online and not in-person classes, but in case it helps:

Several times in teaching Lit & Comp co-op classes for my homeschool group, I have had siblings in class together. There tends to be less competition between siblings if not the same sex, and also the older they are (high school vs. middle school age). When siblings are competitive or one sibling has some sort of LD, I do try and get parents to put them in different "sections" of my classes to give each sibling a chance to shine.

All that to say... a lot will depend on how competitive your DSs are, if one is on a delayed timetable for clicking with LA, or if they have more laid back personalities and tend to be helpful/encouraging of one another.

Another thought: since they're so close in age, what about doing a Lit. study all together at home rather than outsourcing? (And outsource the writing if not comfortable doing it at home -- or consider Essentials in Writing + Grading Service.)

Our DSs are 20 months apart and we did lit. together all through high school, which made discussion much more possible and interesting. What about doing something like Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings together? A bunch of short stories? Some discussion-able young adult books or sci-fi or other genre of interest to DSs?

Just a thought. :) BEST of luck as you decide what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

I often had kids of different ages take a class together.  I thought it might be awkward if the younger one did better than the older one, but interestingly, they weren't really competitive with each other.  And honestly, I don't think they ever really knew how their sibling was doing in the class compared to them.  It just wasn't on their radar, and of course we didn't talk about it in such a way that made them feel defensive about how they were doing compared to the other.  I don't remember them comparing grades with each other, and I never brought it up.  We didn't have a big emphasis on grades and maybe that helped.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 8:13 PM, cintinative said:

ETA: it looks like at CLRC I could do Upper Elementary Language Arts for my youngest ( literature included?) while my oldest does the Intro to Lit and Comp. However, no class times are listed for this class so I can't be sure we'll be available (our Wednesdays are tied up). 

I think all of the classes have class times listed. There should be a link on the right side under the tuition price that says 'Click here for class dates and times'.

3 minutes ago, Melissa B said:

I think all of the classes have class times listed. There should be a link on the right side under the tuition price that says 'Click here for class dates and times'.

yes, thank you. They just posted the times yesterday.  😃

I think this really depends on the kids. My older 2 are 22 months apart, but 2 grades (6 and 😎 this year. I teach them at home together for writing and lit, and will next year as well. Sort of. I do a writing and lit class for middle schoolers and they both participate, but my older dd also does a lot of writing for her Art of Argument class. Honestly, my son is a more natural writer and produces more eloquent work. But, dd doesn't know that. They don't compete about it, and I enjoy having something we can do together. I looked at online classes for next year and a few classes I considered they would be together. I think they would handle it ok, but  yours' might be different. 

• Like 1