Menu

What's with the ads?

Can anyone recommend any science board, card games, etc. for 4-5th graders?  I'd love to supplement my child's science education with some fun games/activities.

• Like 1

So, I have some games for that age but have not played them yet with my kids, so this isn't so much a recomendation as a "these exist" and maybe someone else will comment more on them, or you can find a review somewhere.  

Basher Science has card games that look sort of pokemon style..Ibought the chemistry one but there are different sets. 

Periodyx we got with Curiosity Box and it looks similar, but haven't played it yet.

Destination Mars looks fun...it's about the planets.   I picked it up at a garage sale but haven't played it yet. 

• Like 1

Professor Noggin card decks are some of our favorite trivia style games.

• Like 2

Genius games makes a bunch of physics and chemistry related titles. I haven't played them all, but some of them are good.

Evolution is good - it's complex.

I've heard the game Photosynthesis is good, but I haven't played it.

For a super quickie, there's a Cardline that's all animals, including extinct species. That's basic but fun.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Acorn said:

Professor Noggin card decks are some of our favorite trivia style games.

We LOVE these! They have history, science, and all sorts of things. I love that they are differentiated, so that different ages can play together easily. 

• Like 1

I have free Latin and Greek word root bingo, you read words and definitions while playing the bingo.  You could use mine for a bit and then make a version with more Greek and Latin words/word roots from science.  

All linked on my syllables page, links 2 - 4 in the teacher folder section.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 1

We own and have regularly played Photosynthesis, Evolution, Valence Plus, and Cytosis.

Photosynthesis doesn’t really teach much of anything science-related, but it’s a gorgeous game and a lot of fun to play. 

I always hesitate to recommend Evolution as a science game, because the game mechanisms are more clearly indicative of an intelligent designer than of actual evolution. However, it is great for discussions on that topic, as well as for discussions on niches, predator/prey, defense mechanisms, population increase/decrease in response to availability of resources, and similar topics.

Valence Plus and Cytosis are both fun to play, and fairly straightforward in their application to science.

• Like 2

Like pp have mentioned, Photosynthesis is a lot of fun, but not terribly educational in terms of science.

Elemental Science has some free games on their website. We used the Plant Quest game to reinforce some science lessons last year. Dd had fun with it. I can't speak to any of their other games.

• Like 1

On 9 avril 2019 at 9:16 AM, knitgrl said:

Like pp have mentioned, Photosynthesis is a lot of fun, but not terribly educational in terms of science.

Elemental Science has some free games on their website. We used the Plant Quest game to reinforce some science lessons last year. Dd had fun with it. I can't speak to any of their other games.

Thanks! I tried to look on their site for these free games but had no luck. Do you know under which tab they'd be?

Evolution

Eco Fluxx (and Nature, Anatomy, and Organ variations)

Covalence

Subatomic

Science Ninjas Valence Plus

Peptide

Cytosis

Another vote for Evolution, especially the Climate Change version (also available as an expansion for the base game).